Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turbine wheels now mandatory with P85D - intentional change or design studio glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of this morning if you choose P85D in the design studio the only wheel options are silver or grey turbines - choosing 19" rims is not possible.

Anyone know if this is a real, intentional change, or if it's just a glitch (like the brief period where silver turbines were only available on P85D but grey ones could be ordered with the S85 and S70)?

As of this morning if you choose P85D in the design studio the only wheel options are silver or grey turbines - choosing 19" rims is not possible.

Anyone know if this is a real, intentional change, or if it's just a glitch (like the brief period where silver turbines were only available on P85D but grey ones could be ordered with the S85 and S70)?
It appears 21's are required.

This is horrible for people who live in areas with badly maintained roads. I wonder of this is a momentary glitch. I remember they only had the 21" wheels as an option when the P85D first came out and after many requests they added the regular profile wheel option.

Wow, I was lucky! I ordered a P85D yesterday, with 19" rims. And today they're not available anymore. However, when I log in to change my order, they are still there. I just hope it will actually delivered with 19". Sure, the 21" look absolutely stunning, especially the dark ones, but the tires will be much more expensive and I'm afraid I'll need new tires more often than I like anyway, with such a powerfull car. And even my Tesla sales guy recommended the 19" because the 21" get scratched so easily.

Wow, I was lucky! I ordered a P85D yesterday, with 19" rims. And today they're not available anymore. However, when I log in to change my order, they are still there. I just hope it will actually delivered with 19". Sure, the 21" look absolutely stunning, especially the dark ones, but the tires will be much more expensive and I'm afraid I'll need new tires more often than I like anyway, with such a powerfull car. And even my Tesla sales guy recommended the 19" because the 21" get scratched so easily.

Lucky you! I hope they bring back the 19" wheels for those who prefer them...

When the car was first announced, it was also only available with 21" wheels. They later changed that, before any were actually delivered.

yeah i could see requiring 21 on P85D again now. It is geared towards performance anyway. Most brands like that default to a wheel you can't choose even so its streamlining some or offering what 90%+ people get.

i definitely got the 19s as debated it (like the 21 look better of course). In Chicago our roads are so bumpy, hole filled, etc I'd destroy the 21s in no time. Can always upgrade later I guess aftermarket or sure owners sell theres time to time ;-)

on-again off-again on-again off-again on-again off-again. required not-required required not-required. staggered non-staggered staggered non-staggered. rear seats nextgen rear seats oldgen rear seats nextgen rear seats oldgen. service center says one thing, rep says a completely different thing, website says completely different thing. fake misleading price on website actual-price fake-price actual-price fake-price. options included excluded included excluded. should i get tickets to the ringling brothers or just get a job at tesla instead?

this has to be a glitch

if it isn't i'm very glad i managed to get mine with 19s.

21s look better but i'm sick of the repairs and tyre wear on such big tyres. Having said that, i may just buy a set of 21s for use in the warm months.

I'm pretty sure that this type of pricing would violate consumer protection laws in certain jurisdictions.
How so?
Tesla are free to charge any price they wish for their product.

- - - Updated - - -

on-again off-again on-again off-again on-again off-again. required not-required required not-required. staggered non-staggered staggered non-staggered. rear seats nextgen rear seats oldgen rear seats nextgen rear seats oldgen. service center says one thing, rep says a completely different thing, website says completely different thing. fake misleading price on website actual-price fake-price actual-price fake-price. options included excluded included excluded. should i get tickets to the ringling brothers or just get a job at tesla instead?
I laughed at how accurate this post is

This should help reduce my frequent urges to update to the P85D, since it both raises the price and forces me to buy wheels I absolutely do not want.

Honestly, this sort of thing, combined middle finger they threw to people on the center console wait list yesterday, have me wondering if my next car will even be a Tesla.

Not too long ago my answer when asked "Would you buy a Tesla again?" was "absolutely, no question.". Now my answer is more of a "maybe, I think I might wait and see what other companies come out with".

I still love my Model S and Elon's Vision and Goals, but I'm liking Tesla the company less and less.

this is not a glitch, i took a P85D test drive today and was talking to the sales rep about the if the spoiler does anything, he was listing off his recommended options and mentioned the 21" wheels. i told him i was looking to buy with the 19" and his response was they are no longer going to have that option because people were not getting the rated 0-60 times with the 19" wheels. so to elivate people complaining the car is not living up to hype they just forced the 21"...

...which kinda sucks as my configured price just jumped 4k.

this is not a glitch, i took a P85D test drive today and was talking to the sales rep about the if the spoiler does anything, he was listing off his recommended options and mentioned the 21" wheels. i told him i was looking to buy with the 19" and his response was they are no longer going to have that option because people were not getting the rated 0-60 times with the 19" wheels. so to elivate people complaining the car is not living up to hype they just forced the 21"...

...which kinda sucks as my configured price just jumped 4k.

So… does the spoiler do anything? I didn't order one (and it's now too late to change my order), hope I haven't made the wrong decision.

So… does the spoiler do anything? I didn't order one (and it's now too late to change my order), hope I haven't made the wrong decision.

his assertion was that it helps to reduce drag... which sounded a bit odd. but seeing it in person made me realise i would never order it. its a strange material that looks like no other CF i have seen at the race track. looked more like a vinyl CF pattern wrapped part.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably one of the dumbest reasons I've heard from a Tesla representative. I hope this is a misinformed employee rather than reality.

at the time i simply thought he was miss informened and just went on to the next question.

but after seeing the website alteration...