Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Trip - Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've decided to take a cross country trip for the next month or so and I'm trying to see as much as possible from the country, so here I feel this is one of the best place to go and ask for people from the different parts of the country what would be the best things to see in their region.

The trip was decided last night and we're leaving on Friday from Boston and the plan is to spend on the road about 30 days with a starting and ending point Boston.
It's being done kind of last minute, but that is what makes it exciting for me and it's in the early stages of the planning and obviously will be done on the go.
Here is the major points of visit and planned route so far on Bing maps and where we plan to spend in these areas between 1 and 3 days:

I will appreciate any advice or places that should be seen along this route. I'm planning to use only super chargers and hotels along the route with HWPC's installed, although there isn't a specific list of chargers or hotels to charge. It will be 3 of us touring the country and I think it's good to note that one of my hobbies is photography, so any places worth visiting along the super charger route.
Most of the driving will be done on highways/along supercharger network and obviously detours and local roads will be made for some of the way.

At the end of the journey I plan to make a more comprehensive post with my experience and post photos from the trip.

Attachments

• d2532f3f96.jpg
    d2532f3f96.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 540
We're on the way back on our trip, taking notes, pictures and readying blog posts four our trip... Hint #1 is take your time... We've been on the road since May 2 and in West Virginia right now and decided to go to Kentucky... So give yourself the time to take those side trips.

Also, take some time off the Interstate. We had a great drive between the VT and Albany SC using route 9... Just do it in the daytime.

@AEdennis

Yes, we plan to have some of the route to be off-highway and on scenic routes and yes we're in no rush, except we have to be in Vegas on the 30th and that seems possible as we don't plan to spend much time in NY and DC as we've been there plenty of times, but from that point on, there is no rush.

@efusco

The trip will be along the supercharger network, I used Bing maps to quickly draw the route, just to point out the major stops we plan to make.

Between H and I if you can get a side trip to Yosemite you could Supercharge at Manteca and top up with the HPWC at the Ahwahnee inside the park.
Between J and K you should try to see at least a couple of the wonderful parks in southern Utah. Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Arches or Canyonlands. As a bonus spin an hour at Dead Horse Point State Park.

There aren't SuperChargers on I-80 across Nebraska so that leg might be difficult unless you plan on stopping for several nights at hotels along the way. There are SuperChargers in Kansas but not much to see. You might want to consider South Dakota instead.

The trip will be along the supercharger network, I used Bing maps to quickly draw the route, just to point out the major stops we plan to make.

I think the confusions is that your route shown is not by the current installed superchargers. For example there no superchargers after Phoenix (Case Grande) on I10 through to your route in Dallas. Also I have been planning my trip next week from Arizona to Syracuse, NY and your route shows going around Lake Erie on the US side. That leg can't be currently performed on Supercharges and my plan is to go via Canada. Unless Buffalo is open next week I will have to go around Lake Ontario on the Canada side to make it to Syracuse.

I think the confusions is that your route shown is not by the current installed superchargers. For example there no superchargers after Phoenix (Case Grande) on I10 through to your route in Dallas. Also I have been planning my trip next week from Arizona to Syracuse, NY and your route shows going around Lake Erie on the US side. That leg can't be currently performed on Supercharges and my plan is to go via Canada. Unless Buffalo is open next week I will have to go around Lake Ontario on the Canada side to make it to Syracuse.
And just to clarify my comment your route does have large sections where their is no HPWC or Supercharges available. There is a HPWC in Tuscon but the next one is Fort Worth on your planned route. Unless you plan to use RV parks or Plugshare this seems a very difficult routing with the existing infrastructure for some of your journey. Hope it all goes well and keep us posted on your progress.

@AEdennis

Yes, we plan to have some of the route to be off-highway and on scenic routes and yes we're in no rush, except we have to be in Vegas on the 30th and that seems possible as we don't plan to spend much time in NY and DC as we've been there plenty of times, but from that point on, there is no rush.

@efusco

It looks like a rush to leave on 5/22 and get to Vegas by 5/30 (Vegas isn't even on your destination map)

Code:
5/22      NY               4.5hrs ( 230 miles  70kWh)
5/23      DC               4.7hrs ( 230 miles  78kWh)
5/24      Atlanta         13  hrs ( 650 miles 160kWh) - needs nearly full charges at 2 stops and may need stop/stay in Braselton which has HPWC
5/25      New Orleans     10  hrs ( 530 miles 118kWh)
5/26      Houston          6.3hrs ( 350 miles 118kWh)
5/27      Dallas           4.2hrs ( 240 miles  84kWh)
5/28      Amarillo         8.5hrs ( 470 miles 158kWh) - through OK City and HPWC in Amarillo
5/29      Holbrook        11.2hrs ( 520 miles 167kWh) - need to get charge in Albuquerque or Grants NM
5/30      Vegas            6.6hrs ( 345 miles 105kWh)
Above estimates are based on evtripplanner S85 19" 600# (1=speed multiplier) to Atlanta and Holbrook should be ran slower unless find charging along route. Time includes distance traveled and charging time guesses based on RM consumed/needed. This doesn't include weather (wind) either.

This is not starting out as a leisurely trip - I don't see anyway to have a day off traveling to get to Vegas in 8 days - not much difference even with a ICE.

Sights along your route? :
+ Petrified Forest
+ Flagstaff - Sunset Crater Volcano or Lava River Ca
+ Grand Canyon
+ Moab
+ Maroon Bells, Aspen, CO

As I commented in another thread about my travails returning from Minneapolis, watch your wh/mile when weather conditions are not pleasant and comfortable. The estimated battery reserve calculation will factor in elevation gains and losses while you are recharging, but does not consider adverse weather like strong winds or heavy rain. It is only after you resume your journey that the computer program factors into the estimate reserve your current driving rate and wh/mile to reach your targeted destination. When I was driving west through Kansas with a 1500-foot elevation gain into 30-35MPH headwinds, my wh/mile was around 420, and I drove about 70 miles at 48MPH in order to attain the next SC. This was despite leaving Hays with 92% in the battery and an initial estimate of a 32% reserve and starting my journey at 62MPH instead of the speed limit.

In California, you might consider taking SR1 between Morro Bay and Monterey (or US101) instead of the desultory drive along Interstate 5. US101 has convenient superchargers, and the drive on the coastal route is easily attainable on one charge between Gilroy and Atascadero.

Happy and safe travels!

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm currently looking on the map my route towards Las Vegas and you're right it's tight schedule and we've decided to take our time and not rush it to get there on the 30th.

What bothers me the most is that both supercharge.info (won't show route after 10th) and Google Maps don't allow you more than 10 destinations at a time and that more or less frustrates me as these options were in existence last year and for some unknown reason decided to make it hard on consumers with new Maps update.
It appears that my biggest concern is charging between Shamrock, TX SC, Tucumcari, NM and Gallup, NM SC as the distances is just over 260 miles and obviously not really possible with a single charge, unless I find a HWPC near Amarillo, TX or 14-50 at least, otherwise I have to go north and around Denver on my way to Vegas.

There is one HWPC listed on Plugshare around Amarillo, TX which I will be contacting later on today and see if I could use it and there are few others 14-50's on that 260 miles stretch, so hopefully this won't be an issue. If anyone of you know an owner living between these 2 Superchargers and is willing to share their HWPC, please let me know, it would make the trip much easier I guess.
I see that Albuquerque, NM has much more HWPC's listed on Plugshare and hopefully that makes it easier to charge and reach Gallup, NM SC and again if you know an owner in the area willing to share, information will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a more updated trip map starting from the Gallup, NM SC towards the final destination Boston, you'll still notice Las Vegas isn't on the map, also as I gave up to deal with the limitations and constant route changes as I would add more destinations on the map:
e360e4a4b1.jpg

@daxz Thanks for the sightseeing destinations, I've been to the Grand Canyon, will research for the others and add them on our list.

@Rocksters Thanks for the HWPC, will keep you in mind as we're getting close to passing Dallas, TX :)

@cpa I'll be monitoring the weather conditions and will try to account for as much as possible for the elevations and winds.

I'll keep this post updated along the way with questions and you can expect more comprehensive once the trip is completed.

I'm still interested in sightseeing opportunities along the way, so please keep your suggestions coming in :)

If you have an extra day or a few, do the detour through red rock country via Blanding, Moab, Green River, then down to Las Vegas on I-15. It is way prettier than I-40 across northern AZ; the red rock country is a photographer's dream! Other options include just up to Moab, then back to Blanding, and on to Flagstaff. An overnight at Monument Valley, at the very EV friendly Goulding's Lodge is a great stop. Also along that route a detour over to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is fun, even if a little crowded. There is EV charging at the RV park on the south rim.

Get a CHAdeMO for the trip; it will be good insurance.

Have fun!

Depending on headwinds, you will be able to make the stretch between Shamrock, TX and Tucumcari, NM. There is an HPWC at the Holiday Inn Express in Amarillo, but when I called in to ask if I could use it, they said no unless I had a room reservation. So, you could consider overnighting there. I ended up stopping for an hour at the Walnut RV park in Vega (listed on Plugshare). They let me plug for $10 - expensive, but good peace of mind (though with my conservative driving I could have made it). Heading back east, I did not stop and made it with plenty of range - but, again, I drove conservatively.

In Albuquerque, the Sheraton was very nice in allowing me to use their HPWC in the valet area. I just left them my cell number and went to dinner. Of course, the supercharger might be open by the time you hit it.

@skboston Your new route now takes you near Custer, SD. I just came back from the Tesla rally there, and was thoroughly impressed by the natural beauty of the area: wildlife loop in Custer State Park, Needles state part, Badland state Park and of course, Mt Rushmore. Best of all, because of the yearly Tesla rally, Custer is probably the most wired town in the country. All the hotels in town, and parking lot of the city chamber of commerce are wired with J1772's or HPWC or 14-50 outlets. Check it out.

Why not take I-70? The only challenge is from St. Charles to Independence, MO. I made it going east recently driving conservatively. It would save time and miles. As a back up, you can charge in Columbia, MO or even overnight at a hotel there with an HPWC. In fact, there are a couple of destination chargers in that area.

Buffalo, NY should be open by the time you are returning. Take your passports and go across Southern Ontario from Detroit to Buffalo, and back to Boston via I-90. That will save you many miles, let you do some international Supercharging, and you get to see Niagara Falls!

I agree completely with the I-70 suggestions.

I-70 might be shorter but there's a lot better scenery in South Dakota. If you have the time to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Badlands, etc., then I suggest you take that route. It's much more interesting than the world's largest ball of twine (Cawker City, KS) or the giant Van Gogh painting in Goodland.

Last edited: