Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver SC to Estes Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Mile High Tesla group, I'll be visiting Denver in June and want to find out if I can make it to Boulder and Estes Park roundtrip from the SC on Airport way. If not, suggestions where I can charge to make the trip.

Hey Mile High Tesla group, I'll be visiting Denver in June and want to find out if I can make it to Boulder and Estes Park roundtrip from the SC on Airport way. If not, suggestions where I can charge to make the trip.

There are two 70-amp chargers at Estes Park Public Library. It is right next to various places to eat and shop. As Cottonwood pointed, you probably don't even need to charge in Estes, but if you do, there are options. There is also KOA and few other RV parks plus a Model S owner in Estes Park who has listed his NEMA 14-50 on plugshare.

By mid June, Trail Ridge Road should be open. With all the late snow this spring, a June drive on Trail Ridge should be great with the walls of snow on either side. If you are very lucky, Fall River Road will be open. It is a one way up hill, but I love to Fall River Road Up, Trail Ridge Road down loop in Rocky Mountain Park.

See High in the Rockies (Cottonwood's Story) for a description of me taking my Sig P85 on this loop almost three years ago.

Forecast for my entire trip to Denver and back are for thunderstorms, how much should I be concerned about hail? What precautions if any should I take?
West of Denver hail tends to be small (pea size) and causes no damage. Large hail is uncommon in the mountains IME. It isn't until you get to the high plains of Denver that hail gets a chance to build up in size. Most thunderstorms don't have hail and in the ones that do, it tends to last only a few minutes. The farther east one gets on the plains the greater the chance of large hail (and tornadoes, not coincidentally). You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get hit by such a storm on a single trip to Denver but it can happen.

Thunderstorms are more common in the afternoon/early evening; mornings tend to be clear. So, get an early start each day? If you do get caught in a hail storm try to park under an overpass or in covered parking.

FWIW.