Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will any Teslas be included in the Takata airbag recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the NHTSA site, Tesla is not among the affected vehicle manufacturers. I suppose you could qualify that with a "yet" but I'm an optimist. Their current list is as follows:
BMW, Chrysler, Daimler Trucks, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota.

Worth noting that these manufacturers have not identified all affected models yet and there is a VIN search tool on the safercar.gov website.

How many companies manufacture automobile air bags? That may shed more light on this.

I think it is a fairly short list...

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-safety/who-are-the-most-popular-airbag-manufacturers
...There are a number of airbag manufacturers, but only a handful of really big companies. Delphi is a large global supplier of technology and electronics for cars, and commercial vehicles. They have facilities in over 30 countries and are one of the leading suppliers of airbags. TRW is another worldwide manufacturer and distributor of vehicle airbags. They are one of the top five airbag suppliers in the world. Autoliv currently has over 38,000 employees and is one of the top manufacturers of airbags. Autoliv is the largest supplier of airbags in Europe, and currently have 25% of the US market...

Takata's airbag crisis may spur automaker shift to Autoliv, Daicel
...The market for airbag inflators -- the component at the root of deadly defects -- is likely to shift away from Takata to suppliers including Autoliv and Daicel, potentially allowing the two suppliers to control more than half the market by 2020 as Takata's share shrinks, said Scott Upham, an analyst who has followed air bags since they were first going into cars a quarter-century ago...

...The airbag inflator market is more diverse than that of the complete safety systems that use the component. The three leading module suppliers -- Autoliv, Takata and TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. -- account for about three-quarters of sales combined. The remainder is split by smaller companies including Japan's Toyoda Gosei Co. and Nihon Plast Co., according to estimates from Credit Suisse Group...

Ironically (and sadly), Airbags are supposed to add safety, not blow up in your face in a dangerous way.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the air bag manufacturer used by Tesla. If it is not Takata, which is it?
The Takata recall has just recently been increased to include 33,800,000 vehicles. I just received notification from Honda that my 2008 Pilot has been recalled. IMO the recall is much larger however they are staging the recall in sections so that they have time to complete the retofit. At close to 100,000,000 cars per annum WW, why is my 2008 model being recalled just now? Honda should have known this defect long before now.

It seems the dumb decision by a bean counter at Takata is responsible for this fiasco. To save some costs, they decided to use Ammonium Nitrate, yes *that* Ammonium Nitrate, in the triggering mechanism when a safer and more stable chemical is available. I hope Tesla did not get their air bags from Takata.

Read this article. IT is very informative and has a scary video of what happens when these ait bags blow up and how negligent they have been.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/b...g-propellant-is-at-center-of-crisis.html?_r=0

Daimler = Mercedes, so where does that put us?

Mercedes-Benz has not been affected by the Takata airbag recalls.

Over 6 million vehicles are involved in the Takata airbag recalls, which have occurred as far back as 18 months ago and as recently as October 20, 2014.
Click here for more information

http://www.edmunds.com/recalls/mercedes-benz.html
Tesla has not been affected by the Takata airbag recalls.
Over 6 million vehicles are involved in the Takata airbag recalls, which have occurred as far back as 18 months ago and as recently as October 20, 2014.
Click here for more information

http://www.edmunds.com/recalls/tesla.html

Takata is the 4th largest airbag manufacturer and supplies 20% of the airbags for autos world wide. Most are Japanese, primarily Honda and Toyota/Lexus. I believe all the deaths have been in Hondas. Like Toyota, they did not cooperate with the NHTSA investigation and were fined 14,000$ a day. Unlike Toyota, no criminal charges yet..

Last edited:
True. However, the Tesla Roadster could still be involved.

Nope. The Roadster used Bosch airbags (it was a big deal because they only had single stage airbags and sold under an exemption).

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla uses a lot of Mercedes parts, and Mercedes does not use Takata airbags. So I'm guessing it's not affected.

Musk specifically said that they planned to use Mercedes airbags when they made the financing deal. SOURCE

Last edited: