Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid Black or Obsidian Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it! I ordered a P85D today! Now I'm in the two weeks phase where I can still change everything, but the only thing I'm not completely sure about is the color. During the previous weeks I went from white to black to white and now finally decided it's gonna be black. But there are two blacks! :scared: The model I was test driving was Solid Black. Unfortunately, they could not show me what Obsidian Black looks like, but they told me it's basically "metallic black". Is this true? Then why don't they just call it metallic? :confused: Has anyone here seen an Obsidian Black yet? What would you guys suggest, solid or obsidian?

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlK
Sadly, I've seen every standard color Tesla produced (i.e., all except the custom colors some had the chance to get) except for Obsidian Metallic Black. I hope you get the chance to find one. Personally, I would recommend taking the two samples in the store and walking around in different lighting to compare Solid vs. Metallic. Not the same as seeing a car with that paint, but at least you can see how the light plays with the color to some degree.

My last 8 cars have been black....so obviously I chose black too. Just something about an all black luxury car with dark windows and now those dark 21's. I wasn't able to see an obsidian black either but I did take the color samples outside and looked at them in the sun light. I chose the obsidian instantly. Looks just that bit different and unique and fits the car just like the lines do. My 85D should be leaving the factory in a day or two so I can't send pics and probably won't see it before your deadline but I will post some as soon as I leave the DS.

Having had different versions of black I do, subjective of course, believe the metallic versions of paint hold up a little better and are a little more forgiving over time as well. (Just my opinion)

I did it! I ordered a P85D today! Now I'm in the two weeks phase where I can still change everything, but the only thing I'm not completely sure about is the color. During the previous weeks I went from white to black to white and now finally decided it's gonna be black. But there are two blacks! :scared: The model I was test driving was Solid Black. Unfortunately, they could not show me what Obsidian Black looks like, but they told me it's basically "metallic black". Is this true? Then why don't they just call it metallic? :confused: Has anyone here seen an Obsidian Black yet? What would you guys suggest, solid or obsidian?

I saw both side by side. I thought solid black was darker.

The metallic part - well if you are talking about this tiny shiny crystal thingies in the paint,
a) I didn't think that looks very good on black and
b) There weren't that many shiny things in the paint anyway (as compared to some other cars).

Some people may like Obsidian more. Some may like black more. I'm going with Solid black myself!
Just imagine how cool it'd look at dusk with those eyebrow lights! DAMN!

GLAD TO BE OF HELP :biggrin: :cursing:

PS: I've bounced back and forth on colors too ..

My first choice was gray - I really like the new dark gray, but my car right now is exactly that same color - kinda boring. The older dolphin gray was awful.
My second choice was black, and its growing on me. I'm leaning towards gray interior, though 10% of me tells me I should go for black interior, what did you get?
My third choice was white - it looks nice with pano roof, but then you need black wheels, and tan interior. Tan Tesla interior looks just cheap (to me). So white was out.

The blue - meh! (Once i saw it in person)
Titanium - maybe in 40 years
Multicoat red - too cheap looking (even though its the priciest option)

I REALLY like the signature red though.

Cyclone's suggestion is a good one. You need to compare the colors in different lights. I am a big fan of black and metallic paints. I think you will be much happier with the metallic black with the $1,000 upgrade.

I'll be ordering my 85D in metallic blue in 4 days. I've only seen it on the showroom floor, but I'm sure it'll be even more gorgeous in the Florida Sun.

I haven't seen it on a Model S, but they offered the same two blacks on the Roadster.

If you like the really deep shiny mysterious look, and are happy to wash your car frequently (and carefully so you don't get scratches and swirl marks), the solid black is cool.

If you don't wash as much, or you like the extra sparkle in sunshine, the obsidian can be nice.

Solid black is great when clean and the paint is well cared for; but if dirty or washed carelessly it highlights flaws. The obsidian is more forgiving and the sparkles can be cool in the sun; but it can sometimes look dirty (even when clean) in lower light.

There's no obvious answer...I know people with both colors that are happy with what they have.

We got to see both samples at the local TM sales office, and my wife chose the Obsidian. She has driven black cars for 25 years, usually a 'solid' black, but likes the new subtle difference. Hope she/we like the real thing at delivery next month (see sig below...).

I had to make this same decision. Every car I've ever owned, save one, has been black. I've also had metallic black and flat black on previous cars, similar to the tesla black options offered. Although I like the look of both, I chose obsidian because of its ability to hide scratches easier as the person above mentioned. My metallic black paint in the past was about as good as it gets when it comes to preventing/hiding scratches, at least as far as black goes. My hopes is that the Obsidian Tesla paint will be the same. So for me obsidian has my vote.

I juggled the same dilema and landed on Pearl White. The problem with Black - whether metallic or not - is that swirl marks will make their way to the surface not long after new. That's been my experience with every Black car I've owned. I plan on owning my 70D for at least 8 years so having a color that will pass the test of time is important to me. Paint wear and maintainence hassles aside, Black is hands down the best color for such a beautiful car!

As someone who has detailed 71 Tesla's... Obsidian!!! Tesla's solid black is the biggest PITA of any solid black. If any color Tesla is going to be extra jacked up when delivered new, its always the solid black. I love the wife's MCR, my favorite is Pearl White with silver 21" wheels.

...interesting. My pro detailer also has fits with the solid black Tesla uses. He will only use cQuartz on it. We will see what he thinks of the Obsidian black when we bring my wife's soon to be delivered S70D to him the day after we pick it up at the factory....and he plans to use cQuartz on it.

...interesting. My pro detailer also has fits with the solid black Tesla uses. He will only use cQuartz on it. We will see what he thinks of the Obsidian black when we bring my wife's soon to be delivered S70D to him the day after we pick it up at the factory....and he plans to use cQuartz on it.

Slightly off post topic, but JPP, what is that cQuartz coating going to cost you, if you don't mind me asking? Right now, I'm looking at $1,300 for paint correction & Opti-Coat Pro. Thanks, cs

Slightly off post topic, but JPP, what is that cQuartz coating going to cost you, if you don't mind me asking? Right now, I'm looking at $1,300 for paint correction & Opti-Coat Pro. Thanks, cs

Don't have a final price (...FWIW, I would pay whatever my expert asks, he is that good--and fair). $1300 is probably about right. The prep is a big time sink--the factory TM paint job is not spectacular and needs lots of correction. Figure at least a day for that. The OptiCoat Pro has a 'factory set price' to get the warranty. You might find it for less, but be sure you trust the professional. BTW, I assume you have discussed your paint color, driving/lifestyle, where and how you park, etc with your professional to determine the best product to apply. YMMV.

Don't have a final price (...FWIW, I would pay whatever my expert asks, he is that good--and fair). $1300 is probably about right. The prep is a big time sink--the factory TM paint job is not spectacular and needs lots of correction. Figure at least a day for that. The OptiCoat Pro has a 'factory set price' to get the warranty. You might find it for less, but be sure you trust the professional. BTW, I assume you have discussed your paint color, driving/lifestyle, where and how you park, etc with your professional to determine the best product to apply. YMMV.

I have reached out to Pete with First Impressions Detailing here in Sarasota, but have not heard back yet. Good suggestions and I appreciate your input!