Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving $40,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could have saved $40,000 on my MS. And you can too. My P85D is in the shop, and the valet was kind enough to bring me the same color, similarly equipped S85 as the loaner. Yes, my P85D is faster, but unreasonably so. You can't really use it much. I don't punch it anymore because every time I do it's so annoying that all my stuff flies into the back seats.

From driving the S85 I think it is fast enough, and in some cases I don't even feel a difference in a rolling acceleration.

On the S85 without range mode turned on I'm getting 50w/mi better efficiency than my P85D gets with range mode turned on, and 100w/mi better efficiency when comparing non-range mode to non-range mode.

Oh and the best part: the S85 is so much more quiet!!! The P85D has the constant motor whine from the front motor. Driving the S85 sounds like what you would expect from an EV.

Do I regret my purchase of the P85D? Nope, my wife said go for it, so I'm happy to have had the opportunity to splurge on my mid-life crisis mobile. But next time I'll save $40,000.

For those of you contemplating what to order, I suggest you spend more time test driving the S85, you may just decide to save the money and use that towards your wife's MX.

Get the 85D. Whine in the motor goes away once you are moving. That is my experience when I test drove the 85D. S85 probably doesn't have the traction when on wet/snow road like the 85D does. I would rather get the 85D. No range penalty compared to the P85D and better efficiency than the S85. Acceleration is the same as the P85 of the old days.

Thanks for the post. I have been going back and forth on the P85D vs 85D for the past week and I have came to the same conclusion. The P would be fun but I think the novelty would wear off on me eventually. I'm sure some folks will disagree but it's ok :) I'm mostly a passenger in my car as I would rather ride then drive. My wife drove both and she was happy with the performance over her S85.

I just ordered a D and if I start to regret it I will order the P when/if the new battery comes out. I don't think the range penalty is worth it. I did get the 21" wheels I just couldn't get over gap in the wheel well with the 19". I will order the spoiler and get the calipers painted. Other than that I think we made a good choice and saved about $21k

I initially ordered an 85D, and then test drove a 70D and 85D. For both D models, I noticed some front motor noise. The noise was less pronounced on the 70D, but I still noticed it. I have the curse of sensitive hearing. Then, I tried the S85 as a passenger. The S85 seemed the quietest, so I changed my order. Just a few more weeks to go!

The "P" option is only made to show to your friends the acceleration of your car, expansive feature :)
in real life, you don't need 700hp because you always try to have the best range usage, big accelerations is definitely range killer

I did get the 21" wheels I just couldn't get over gap in the wheel well with the 19".
Are you talking about the "visual gap" from the edge of the rim to the wheel well, or the actual physical gap, from the tire tread to the wheel well?

If the later, there's essentially no difference between 19" and 21" - the diameter of a 245/45-19 tire is 27.68", a 245/35-21 is 27.75" (about 1/16th of an inch). You'd never tell from looking at it. Maybe one car had a higher suspension setting than the other?

If you're talking about the "dark area" between the edge of the rim and the wheel well, then I see your point. Just be sure to dodge any potholes!

In my experience my P85D makes a constant motor whine. I find I'm less aware of the electric nature and more into the overall driving experience when driving the S85. And the whine is worse when turning on range mode, the torque sleep makes the whine sound more "raspy"

I would say it's a little on how the car sits, but mostly the area between the edge of the rim and the wheel well it just doesn't look right to me. As for the potholes the roads aren't too bad in Az and I ride on a low profile tire setup on my car with no issues to date... I figure worst case we end up selling the 21" and get some tsportline turbines if it becomes a hassle.

Good luck to everyone on their purchase. I went back and forth for a week on the P decision and finally told myself the truth it's a bit of overkill for me, but it is a badass car!

Echoing what others have already said, ANY Model S will be plenty fast for all purposes. I went in thinking I'll get the P85D because, if you are splurging why not get all of it, right? Well after test driving it (with insane mode on) I realized that, although incredibly cool, it would not be used on a regular basis but more of a party trick. I would up getting a nicely optioned 85D and I don't regret it for one second. It is blazingly fast and quick. More than I really need. One of my favorite parts to use the acceleration is when merging onto an interstate. Just yesterday morning I was merging on and I was behind an 18 wheeler on the ramp. So as he was still lumbering up to speed, I checked the fast lane and there were cars approaching at 75-80mph. I pulled out and floored it. I'm sure the conversation in the head of the driver that I was getting in front of went like this, "Ohhh geez, look at this a&#...oh....wow...nevermind...he has plenty of room." So the 85D acceleration is mind blowing quick. And it still blows people away on test drives, even with 5 people in the car (which makes it dramatically less quick).

So, if you have money to burn and $100k and $130k isn't much difference to you, then by all means, by the P85D and help my stock price. But if you are at all price conscience, then the 85D has to be the sweet spot (or even the standard 85), and even moreso the 70 if you don't need the extra range. Whatever vehicle you get, the first time you are in it by yourself...you check the rear view mirror and stomp on the accelerator, you are 100% guaranteed to grin...and possibly giggle like a 3 year old.

70D is a great value for new. S85/P85 is very very great value for used now. P85D is definitely not a wise choice for your money. The value is not there. Save yourself $40k and put it towards a giant solar array and powerwall system and go net zero for life :) THAT is a wiser choice for your money: 70D + 19kW solar array + several powerwalls. boom goes the dynamite.

I don't punch it anymore because every time I do it's so annoying that all my stuff flies into the back seats.
You chose the wrong solution to this problem. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I can't. This option is not visible (at least here at work). Perhaps an IE problem. Will try tonight at home with a different browser.
I can't read German but you need to click Hinterradantrieb twice.
1. Choice 2 among 70D/85D/P85D columns in the first row.
2. Choice 1 among Hineterradantrieb/Allradantrieb in the second row (labelled Antrieb).

Note that the second click is not reachable until the first click -- a new section opens up.

I can't read German but you need to click Hinterradantrieb twice.
1. Choice 2 among 70D/85D/P85D columns in the first row.
2. Choice 1 among Hineterradantrieb/Allradantrieb in the second row (labelled Antrieb).

Note that the second click is not reachable until the first click -- a new section opens up.

That is part of the problem, that click doesn't do anything, no new section opens up.
Perhaps we in Germany are the first to witness the axing of the S85, even if by software accident ;-)

(Or perhaps it is just the computers that I work with after all...)