Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!
I am new here. I did a search for this question before asking here, but did not have any luck finding an answer. So I hope I am not repeating a question already asked.

I am seriously considering a model S. I currently drive a Lexus LS460 and one of the things I love about my current car is how quiet it is- even when driving on the highway.

How is the Model S with street/highway noise? Has there been any tests done to compare noise level with a DB meter?

Thanks!
Mike

Hello Everyone!
I am new here. I did a search for this question before asking here, but did not have any luck finding an answer. So I hope I am not repeating a question already asked.

I am seriously considering a model S. I currently drive a Lexus LS460 and one of the things I love about my current car is how quiet it is- even when driving on the highway.

How is the Model S with street/highway noise? Has there been any tests done to compare noise level with a DB meter?

Thanks!
Mike

There are many threads on this topic, including some that I posted. I suggest you use the search function to find them.

First of all, welcome. I haven't had much luck searching these either.

If you are asking this question about noise, then you have got to go drive one. There is no question that MS is quieter than any other car you have ever driven. Not only that, but the lack of a transmission makes for the most silky smooth drivetrain. Go drive one!

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

Mike

Subjective data--my wife drives a 2011 LS460 with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. My S is quieter overall but you notice the road/tire noise more (I'm driving on the OEM Goodyear's). You overall will enjoy the ride more and be less fatigued in an S. And, if you read my sig, you will see we have ordered an S70D to replace her LS next month when it goes off lease.

I test drove a Model S 85D and I must say, it's very quite. There is a slight motor wind in the beginning, but once you get up to speed, it's gone. This might be caused by the induction motor. I have driven other EVs and they do NOT exhibit the low speed motor wind noise.

The rest is just road noise and wind noise which is very little even on the highway. The model S I test drove had 21 inch rims and I heard they are noisier than the 19 inch rims. People have also complained about the panoramic roof as a source of noise after a few thousand miles due to the seal.

It seems like consensus is:

1) Low speed motor noise possible
2) Panoramic roof wind noise once seal are worn
3) Road noise from 21 inch rim is higher. Get 19 inch rims and put michelins mxm for minimal road noise
4) Air suspension does not seem to help with road noise, just allows you to get up or off steep driveways.
5) Static noise from speakers if sound system are not properly isolated. Not much you can do here other than bring it back to tesla.

Others feel free to add.

Sound level @ idle 39.2 dB .. how can that be? The car absolutely makes no noise at idle. Maybe the AC was on.. hah!

39.2 dB was for Lexus LS 460. Tesla was 35 db, which would be perceived as less than half as loud as Lexus. That's basically background noise. dB charts list 30dB as "whispering" or "whisper in quiet library at 6 feet" Possibly the AC fan or just outside noise.

Normal conversation at 3 feet runs 60 dB.

Difference between 58.2 dB and 61.2 dB in Ibdb's charts would be perceived as twice as loud, but both are about at the threshold of normal speech.

how is full throttle any different from cursing for the Tesla? Noise should be the same if not less. Is the noise coming from the tires? If so, I would expect 70mph to make more noise then. There is something fishy with the data. My Spark EV makes 0 noise during acceleration... unless I am burning rubber on the cheapo ecopia tires. Otherwise, 15-60mph is same if I light throttle it or full throttle it. I test drove the 85D and the noise is definitely noisier at 70mph cursing than accelerating to 70mph.

how is full throttle any different from cursing for the Tesla? Noise should be the same if not less. Is the noise coming from the tires? If so, I would expect 70mph to make more noise then. There is something fishy with the data. My Spark EV makes 0 noise during acceleration... unless I am burning rubber on the cheapo ecopia tires. Otherwise, 15-60mph is same if I light throttle it or full throttle it. I test drove the 85D and the noise is definitely noisier at 70mph cursing than accelerating to 70mph.

There is a whine at full throttle.

Reactions: polyphonic54

I assume a lot of the noise would be road noise.....nothing to do with the "engine."

The dual motor models have considerable more acceleration noise - coming from the front motor obviously.

I wouldn't say it's considerable. Having owned a 60 kWh RWD before and a P85D now, I can describe the front motor sound as a faint whisper.

Now, about that Lego piece that my son's tossed somewhere in the car. I can hear that (and that alone) rolling around every time I make hard turns or launches :)

I wouldn't say it's considerable. Having owned a 60 kWh RWD before and a P85D now, I can describe the front motor sound as a faint whisper.

Now, about that Lego piece that my son's tossed somewhere in the car. I can hear that (and that alone) rolling around every time I make hard turns or launches :)
Well, I hardly ever notice the noise anyway thanks to the premium sound system always being cranked up to unhealthy levels. The smaller frunkspace is definitely a bigger issue for me, but never the less I absolutely love my 85D!

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!
Mike

My dad has a '08 LS460L... I have the S85. My ears tell me that the LS460 is actually quieter, especially at highway speeds. The Tesla lets in quite a bit of road and wind noise, and I'm sure the Lexus has more insulation for the cockpit. The Tesla isn't loud or annoying at 80mph by any stretch, it's just that the LS is really really well insulated from road and wind noise and the engine is really really quiet.

Last edited:
The Model S often seems louder because of the difference between the noise level when it's stopped and the noise level when it's traveling. Road surface makes the biggest difference in how loud it is (at least in my car).

I believe the newer models are quieter that some of the earlier VINs,.

I had a late '14 P85 loaner with 21" wheels on my last service, and it had noticeably less road and wind noise at highway speed than my November 2103 S85 with 19" wheels.