Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hindsight: What the Model X should have been

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the Model X should have been a service vehicle.

A cube van !

Instead of intricate, rich, and lavish, it would have been bigger, sparse, barren, and ready for business, as well as for customization for those who couldn't wait for a factory-built SUV/CUV... remember the rockin' custom Econoline 150's in the 70s and 80s ?? :biggrin:

In the same way the Roadster - Model S - Model 3 development strategy (oh and the original one didn't mention the X by my recollection) paved the way in cautious steps, the X cargo van could have created a robust, "overly engineered" service platform that've readily adapted to a luxurious SUV / CUV vehicle with towing capabilities.

Just an idea, I haven't done a business plan or anything ... the commercial vehicle market is a very different one.

Thoughts ?

4.jpg

lol both very nice :biggrin:

How about this:
voyager.jpg

Ironically, that beast was born of the opposite strategy I suggested above -- a car that was made into a van that was then turned into a service vehicle. Poor Torqueflite 4-speed car transmissions :scared:

I suspect the commercial space runs on thinner margins than Tesla seems to want to chase. That said, Smith Electric Vehicles seems to do OK.

Smith-Banner2.jpg

And Nissan is doing an electric version of the NV200 van.
nissan-e-nv200.jpg

The space is littered with the remains of dead companies though. Sadly Bright Automotive's PHEV Idea van never saw the light of day.

7_ext_psgrsideon_090413_2.jpg