Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indy to Effingham in a 60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
What does the hive mind think, is it advisable to try to go between Indy and Effingham in a 60? The two stations are 145 miles apart, and I think the terrain should be fairly flat, but being that this will be the longest single leg I have taken in my car so far, I am of course a little nervous, particularly as there are essentially no "divert point" chargers along the way if I get myself into trouble. Has anyone here made this trip in a 60 yet?

EVtripplaner.com says it will take 153 range miles at 72F so, unless you drive very aggressively, or the weather is very poor-( cold and/or windy) you should be ok even in a 60 if you are going from the Indy Supercharger to the Effingham Supercharger. Keep in mind that you should try to make sure your charge is full when you start and as dsm363 says, start out the trip driving under the speed limit. Also, having just come through there last week, there are plenty of places in Illinois where the speed limit is reduced due to road construction so that will help. Good luck.

I thought plugshare would show charging in Terre Haute, but Terre Haute and the entire route is a charging wasteland.

However RVparking.com shows several 50A locations, including next to I-70 in Terre Haute and Casey, IL. I would call ahead to see if they would allow you to charge, some RV parks can be full, or just have inconsiderate owners. You shouldn't need it, but it is always good to have a plan B.

GSP