Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting wiper sensitivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but have to ask anyway - is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the wipes in their "auto" modes? I wish I had an old fashioned timed delay intermittent option. The MS and my previous Acura were horrible with the auto wipers.

Was driving around yesterday and it wasn't raining that hard. Normally, I'd put the wipers on a minimally timed intermittent option. However, they were going at HIGH speed! I had to manually put them on low speed.

To answer your question, there's nothing other than the two direct settings.

I find the auto wiper speed to be fine, except it wipes a little too frequently in really light rain. The main problem, I think, is that sometimes it seems to take a little longer to adjust. If you see it go berserk like that, just give it 20 seconds or so, and it should calm down and adjust itself. They've built some hysteresis into the system so that it wants to stay at its current setting a little bit longer than most of us would like.

I've had automatic wipers in numerous BMWs and a couple of Audis. They worked about the same on all those vehicles - pretty good.

I have to say that, in my opinion, Tesla's implementation of automatic windshield wipers is the worst I've experienced.

Reactions: YaskY
I also find the setting much too sensitive. Sometimes in light misty conditions (like following another car on a wet road) the wipers go into high speed mode! Ridiculous! It probably works fine for some people but it's possible that the sensors have wide variability from the manufacturer and that some are more sensitive than others. There should therefore be a hidden gain setting that Tesla servicing can access and modify. I will contact them and report back...

RainX is the bomb. I think it is an alcohol based sealant.
1432075697070-1898015263.jpg