Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pilot Super Sport 21's - National back order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doc@tirerack: I'm looking at the specs on your site to compare the PS2 and the PSS in the 245/35ZR21 size. It shows that when mounted on an 8.5" rim both tires have a section width of 9.8". But the PS2 has a tread width of 9.5" while the PSS has a tread width of 8.7", almost a full inch less. Is the correct? If so, can you please explain why this is the case? Thanks.

Doc@tirerack: I'm looking at the specs on your site to compare the PS2 and the PSS in the 245/35ZR21 size. It shows that when mounted on an 8.5" rim both tires have a section width of 9.8". But the PS2 has a tread width of 9.5" while the PSS has a tread width of 8.7", almost a full inch less. Is the correct? If so, can you please explain why this is the case? Thanks.

There are a few reasons why this happens:

1. The 35% aspect ratio has a more square profile than a 45% aspect ratio tire.

2. In low volume sizes, tire manufacturers will use the same mold for various size tires, change the markings, and measuring rim to keep them in spec.

3. Misprints do happen.

I'd guess this is mostly #2 with a bit of #1.

Michelin provides the tire specs to us, which we pass along. Once in a blue moon either Michelin or Tire Rack will turn a number around and it looks like that is the case here. Here's what I have for the 245/35R21 size (now revised);

Super Sport: 8.7" tread width / 9.8 section width. 10/32" tread depth
PS2 (Michelin part # 74422); 8.7 tread width / 9.8 section width. 10/32" tread depth
PS2 (Michelin part # 80085); 8.7 tread width / 9.8 section width. 9.5/32" tread depth (This model was originally specified with the 9.5 tread width Dennis mentioned, and we are correcting online)

See Jerry's post above and reference reason #3 (with our apologies).

Part # 80085 is distinguished as having no service description vs. Part # 74422 has (96Y) stamped on the sidewall. Both PS2 models were used as original equipment by Tesla and have been used from 2012 through the current 2015 offering. 80085 has been discontinued, but we still have some inventory available.

Last edited: