Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any REST peak KW readings for 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC an owner reported max 345 kW in his newish P85 at high SOC. I've tested my refurbed DU and compared it to my original and I see lower peak power outputs. I've tested this multiple times under varying conditions. Not sure what explains all this car to car variability.

IIRC an owner reported max 345 kW in his newish P85 at high SOC. I've tested my refurbed DU and compared it to my original and I see lower peak power outputs. I've tested this multiple times under varying conditions. Not sure what explains all this car to car variability.
Apacheguy, don't freak out....

I'm about to hit 60k!
I hit 50k on new years eve.
wide open throttle
My P85 I've seen 374 kw when I was recording. I haven't been running a REST/Streaming API recording in a while.
Are you on the original drive unit, rdrcrmatt? Or rather, more specifically, is your 374 kW number from the original drive unit?

Apacheguy, don't freak out....

Ok. Time out. Nobody's freaking out here.

i have my own theory, as explained previously in other threads, that new DU inverters have better efficiency, but power to the drivetrain remains the same. That theory didn't get any traction on here so I was just throwing out some bait here to see if we could get any other conjectures. I hope my intentions are clear to you now.

That's peak though. The P85D ramps up much much faster to peak output.

Edit: oops, I just read what you said closer. Yes, that's possible.

Yup. Totally true which is why the 0-60 is soooooo much faster on the P85D. The P85D is like a vertical climb at the beginning while the 85D is a much more gradual slope so the total power under the curve on the way to 60 is has much more area under it. I was more curious as to how the real peak compared between the two when already at speed say punching it from 50-70.

Yup. Totally true which is why the 0-60 is soooooo much faster on the P85D. The P85D is like a vertical climb at the beginning while the 85D is a much more gradual slope so the total power under the curve on the way to 60 is has much more area under it. I was more curious as to how the real peak compared between the two when already at speed say punching it from 50-70.

What is it about the 85D motors that allow them to achieve roughly the same peak output, but yet they climb at a slower rate? I've asked this question before as it applies to the S85 v the P85, but no one has been able to explain it.

The only factor that should limit the climbing rate is TC. Do the PDs have better TC somehow?

What is it about the 85D motors that allow them to achieve roughly the same peak output, but yet they climb at a slower rate? I've asked this question before as it applies to the S85 v the P85, but no one has been able to explain it.

The only factor that should limit the climbing rate is TC. Do the PDs have better TC somehow?

Maximum torque from the inverter/motors and traction are both limits to low end acceleration. Power is torque times RPM. Because the MS has one fixed gear, RPM is proportional to speed. A lower maximum torque gives you a lower acceleration and a lower power at any given speed until you hit the power limit. Power then rises linearly with speed until you hit the power limit.

It is probable, that on good dry surfaces, the P85D has more torque than the tires can accept and TC limits max torque, but the 85D does not have enough torque to test the TC with good traction.

I'm sure the answer is partly a software policy decision. But keep in mind, that the comparison I made was at an 80% SOC. The difference is more the higher the SOC is on both models. At 90%, the PD is outputting 414KW but I'll bet the 85D doesn't output any more at that.

I'll also bet that 85D doesn't output less as the SOC drops a lot lower. At some point, there will be an SOC on both models where the output is the same.

Ok. Time out. Nobody's freaking out here.

i have my own theory, as explained previously in other threads, that new DU inverters have better efficiency, but power to the drivetrain remains the same. That theory didn't get any traction on here so I was just throwing out some bait here to see if we could get any other conjectures. I hope my intentions are clear to you now.
I was just teasing you (context: a lot of old, post-heavy threads). :)