Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interupt of power on charging (3 phase chargeing)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long interupt of power is acceptble on the charge power (not the signals)?

is less than one period or can it be for a 0.1 sekund or more?

strange qustion but i have one smart ide how to charge faster with 3 phase

i'm instered to over load the fuses for a short wail and than change phase and so waiter

It maybe posible to charge 24A with 16A fuses or maybe 32A that will give a avregige current of 10.7A

How long interupt of power is acceptble on the charge power (not the signals)?

is less than one period or can it be for a 0.1 sekund or more?

strange qustion but i have one smart ide how to charge faster with 3 phase

i'm instered to over load the fuses for a short wail and than change phase and so waiter

It maybe posible to charge 24A with 16A fuses or maybe 32A that will give a avregige current of 10.7A

I don't think the tolerance is large enough to do what you want. The Roadster is sensitive to phase timing - it has to be symmetrical. A dirty sine wave will often make it stop charging. It's not as bad as the Model S, but it's still very sensitive. For example the Roadster won't charge from most single or split phase generators unless the sine wave is very clean.

If you build a device that can interrupt and restart power that quickly, then your best bet would be to build an inverter. Then you can charge a Roadster off of 3 phase power. I've actually done this but the inverter was rather large and not suitable for traveling. One time I charged off of a Prius!

Thanks for the anser
I shall do a test with a relay or a manual breaker and see if roadster stop charge
I have done one test to flipp phases on my clipper creek charger with a manual breaker
the charger don't flipp out when it was not conected to the car but when i conect the car the contactor faid and the charger need a restart after the flipp
so i shall try to do same test with electronics separt feed on the charger

Thanks for the anser
I shall do a test with a relay or a manual breaker and see if roadster stop charge
I have done one test to flipp phases on my clipper creek charger with a manual breaker
the charger don't flipp out when it was not conected to the car but when i conect the car the contactor faid and the charger need a restart after the flipp
so i shall try to do same test with electronics separt feed on the charger

A relay or breaker? It has nothing to do with how soon the Roadster stops charging after losing power. Even if you got it to break clean at zero crossing you could not switch to another phase and keep charging. The other 2 phases don't have zero crossing at the same time. Like I said, the Roadster is very sensitive to phase timing. If you stop one phase and switch to another it would be out of sync and quit charging.

I would think that the only feasible way to utilize 3 phase on a roadster (with out a new onboard charger) is to rectify the phases, combining them and invert them back.
But I guess that would be a huge and costly unit.
It would let us EU-users to utilize the widely available 23 kw public better. Today we pay for the full 23kw and only get 7kw (at least in Norway it's usually pay pr minute).
But would it be worth it? If you study the map before the long drives you find enought of the 43kw chargers giving 60-63A charging, so it's not a huge problem, but this might not be the case in other parts of the world ofcourse.