Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

In another thread there has been speculation that a Supercharger will be built in the city of San Mateo, which would be the first one on the San Francisco peninsula. I was skeptical until Cottonwood posted about it and he has not been wrong yet. So today I went to investigate the site he posted about, in the area of the parking lot at the Whole Foods market at the Hillsdale exit off the 101 freeway. The surface level parking lot is always very crowded and I could not imagine where Tesla could get space for Supercharger spots. So I drove down into the lower level of the parking structure and looked around. I noticed several parking spots that were surrounded by a temporary green fabric fence. I parked and looked through the fencing and saw several large cardboard boxes and a large tall gray metal cabinet. That got my interest! I was able to get behind the fencing and looked at the shipping label on one of the boxes. Eureka! Proof positive. As usual, Cottonwood nailed it.

45220d442af40cc6b1b14898fe977878.jpg

df6b2c99f7f06da52e7a0fd1791985c7.jpg

e4ac1745b7eadb801f7e4bb617034e79.jpg

f03fb830a34a631327ae6b106c4d1548.jpg

6da4cd47522b71b42a3b5bf889f7c3ff.jpg

This location is very close to the freeway but will be hard to find using GPS because it is below ground level. I assume that Tesla will have signs posted at the entrances to the parking lot directing people to the location or they will have difficulty finding it.

Can't tell how much longer it will be before this site opens but at least the equipment is there.

Based on the number of boxes there will be four pedestals/charging stalls.

Last edited:
Exciting. I used to frequent this Whole Foods a lot when I lived in that area.

I am wondering how Navigation will handle this. (go down this ramp....)...etc... Anyone have experience with locations not on street level?

I can envision using it a fair amount on longer trips back home. I can supercharge and restock the fridge! :smile:

Exciting. I used to frequent this Whole Foods a lot when I lived in that area.

I am wondering how Navigation will handle this. (go down this ramp....)...etc... Anyone have experience with locations not on street level?

I can envision using it a fair amount on longer trips back home. I can supercharge and restock the fridge! :smile:

The Normal, IL supercharger is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage... nav ends its guidance once you enter the garage... you just have to know that it is up there! There is no other signage in the garage save the stalls themselves.

The Normal, IL supercharger is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage... nav ends its guidance once you enter the garage... you just have to know that it is up there! There is no other signage in the garage save the stalls themselves.
I did not realize there were any other US Superchargers not at street level. I had heard about one in a London UK parking garage, and also one in Hong Kong, I think.

When I look up the Normal, IL, Supercharger on the Find Us page on the Tesla Motors website, it states "Uptown Station Parking Deck"

They should at least show that it is on the 3rd level.

This San Mateo location will really benefit from a red Tesla sign at each entrance to the street level parking lot. I should email the Tesla Supercharger team about this issue.

I will try to check the status of this San Mateo location every few weeks and report on the progress, since it's just 15 minutes from my house.

Last edited:

I will try to check the status of this San Mateo location every few weeks and report on the progress, since it's just 15 minutes from my house.
Being so close, do you see any occasion that you may use it?

Just wondering because soon there will be one here on the Monterey Peninsula, and my wife and I discussed it but could think of no reason to use. Other than power outage at the house.

We frequent Gilroy and/or Fremont due to work requirements of occasional jogs to Oakland or Vallejo.

In another thread there has been speculation that a Supercharger will be built in the city of San Mateo, which would be the first one on the San Francisco peninsula. I was skeptical until Cottonwood posted about it and he has not been wrong yet. So today I went to investigate the site he posted about, in the area of the parking lot at the Whole Foods market at the Hillsdale exit off the 101 freeway. The surface level parking lot is always very crowded and I could not imagine where Tesla could get space for Supercharger spots. So I drove down into the lower level of the parking structure and looked around. I noticed several parking spots that were surrounded by a temporary green fabric fence. I parked and looked through the fencing and saw several large cardboard boxes and a large tall gray metal cabinet. That got my interest! I was able to get behind the fencing and looked at the shipping label on one of the boxes. Eureka! Proof positive. As usual, Cottonwood nailed it.

Thanks for the great pictures, and thanks for the compliment.

I think that S-dog was early in pointing to this site as well. S-dog should get some credit, also.

I am new to this whole thing (my car is due in this week) but, I like the fact its going into a supermarket like location and not in a mall. Like someone said. You can shop while you charge and even nosh at the food counter. I hope this continues and we see some more residential like locations freeway close near markets, etc.

What do you think of the width of the spots? One of them seems to have the COMPACT sign painted in front of it. Four tight spots sandwiched between two pillars is a bit of a challenge for the huge Model S and the even bigger X.
I would not assume that the fenced off area shown in my photo is the entire area that will be taken up by the Supercharger spots. Right now the equipment is just sitting there and nothing is connected.
Being so close, do you see any occasion that you may use it?
No I won't use it. It's only about 5 miles from my house. I prefer to charge my car at home at night using my HPWC.

A few more photos. I agree with ecarfan that this may be just a staging area. However there seems to be sufficient electrical conduits overhead to tap into should this eventually be the exact location. On site are supercharger pedestals and what appear to be distribution cabinets. I didn't see any superchargers. If you are heading to this location..... Turn left at the bottom of the ramp as you go underground.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am new to this whole thing (my car is due in this week) but, I like the fact its going into a supermarket like location and not in a mall. Like someone said. You can shop while you charge and even nosh at the food counter. I hope this continues and we see some more residential like locations freeway close near markets, etc.

Unfortunately I think that locations like this just encourage local charging. If I'm going to the grocery store and there is a free slot at the supercharger why not just plug in while I'm shopping? It's too hard for locals to resist, and as a result owners who really need to charge as part of a road trip may have to wait. That's what happened at the Outlet Mall in Gilroy and Tesla had to expand it from 4 to 10 stalls.

Unfortunately I think that locations like this just encourage local charging. If I'm going to the grocery store and there is a free slot at the supercharger why not just plug in while I'm shopping? It's too hard for locals to resist, and as a result owners who really need to charge as part of a road trip may have to wait. That's what happened at the Outlet Mall in Gilroy and Tesla had to expand it from 4 to 10 stalls.

I've never really understood this, but it's definitely true. Nobody goes to a gas station unless they need to, but EV owners seem fascinated with plugging in their cars at every chance. Personally if it takes an extra 60 seconds out of my day and I don't need to, I won't. I consider the fact that my car is full every morning and I only need to worry about charging on road trips to be one of the greatest advantages of an EV.

I've never really understood this, but it's definitely true. Nobody goes to a gas station unless they need to, but EV owners seem fascinated with plugging in their cars at every chance. Personally if it takes an extra 60 seconds out of my day and I don't need to, I won't. I consider the fact that my car is full every morning and I only need to worry about charging on road trips to be one of the greatest advantages of an EV.

I do not want to drift the thread and if there is another one about local charing please feel free to point me to it, but, I do plan to use my local Supercharger. Probably weekly maybe more. Its situated just miles away from 3 of the golf courses I play anytime I am at home. I usually finish my golf at noon and can plug in, charge, save some $$ and grab some lunch. My setup at home does not allow me to take advantage of EV rates at night so I will be paying more for my electricity at home than most seeing I am usually in the top tier every month electricity wise already. I blame my wine collection. :smile:

Is this frowned upon by the Tesla community? I would probably keep away during the weekend (Rancho Cucamonga) unless I was heading home from my parents and range anxiety was kicking in so those making the Vegas run would have a better opportunity to charge / charge faster.

I don't believe that Tesla has ever said anything to discourage local charging. I'm sure that part of the rationale for expanding the supercharger network is to allow locals who live in apartments with no access to home charging to charge their cars.

That being said, I think it's a breach of etiquette to hold up people on road trips who really need a charge to slowly "top up" your local car to save a buck or two.

I live locally to the under construction San Mateo supercharger but I'd only consider using it if I did something foolish, like forget to charge one night and really need to get a quick charge in order to make a drive.