Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
With some talk of how much Model X mules have changed since the prototype has changed, I thought a new image comparison and a thread might be useful:

model_x_mule_vs_prototype.jpg

This side profile is only a part of the answer of course, especially being so dark, but it is a thus far rare perspective into a shape of the mule that seems like it could be quite near the final. See how much larger the windows are, how much taller the greenhouse seems and how much further back things extend. Front silhouette has also changed, although that is still under heaviest camo. There is less of a natural spoiler at the end of the mule, which might give some credence to the electronic spoiler theory. ;)

Of course it is likely the mules look very close to production non-hidden exterior-wise...

Model X mules already look quite different from 2012-2013 prototypes. Some things:

- no crossbeam between A pillars
- higher side windows and side profile
- new shoulder and skirtline shapes
- new rear spoiler lip shape/material
- new diffusers front and back
- new hood shape
- new lights
- shorter/"lighter" falcon wings
- basically the profile of the entire car is new
etc.

That said, there is still camo on the mules, so even if the exterior of the latest mule were 100% (which it is not since e.g. B pillar chrome is not yet fully fitting, missing parts of them) we are not seeing the roof windows, lights, rear chrome or front bumper properly. I also don't find it impossible they might still change an exterior panel or trim or two on these mules we've seen either. They of course have final or near final cars (outside and inside) hiding at the factory.

After all, this is not about how Are the Model X mules close to the final version? but merely about how different are the mules from the prototype.

Source this message and Tesla Model X Prototype May 8 2015 - YouTube

Longer falcon doors (now going aft of the center of the rear wheels,) taller rear profile including window/trim line extended further aft and down. Everything else I see is pretty subtle - the fog light area and headlights, mostly.
Walter

I posted this in the Mule Spotting thread, but I do not like the direction that rear 3/4 view looks now. It's overextended towards the back because of headroom requirements. And why does the nose need to be so long considering the lack of front engine? I liked the proportions of the prototype better.

It would seem the profile changes may be what Elon mentioned about improved aerodynamics mention at the beginning of the year. More slope in the front and either a electronic or natural spoiler in the rear.

Longer falcon doors (now going aft of the center of the rear wheels,) taller rear profile including window/trim line extended further aft and down. Everything else I see is pretty subtle - the fog light area and headlights, mostly.
Walter

Thank you for noting the rear door/center of wheels point, I don't think it had been said out loud yet.

The rear doors may not necessarily be longer though, the wheelbase might also be shorter. There used to be talk that the Model X prototype had a longer wheelbase than Model S - and it would make sense to reduce that to Model S wheelbase for production.

However, I do agree there are changes in dimensions - including doors - so just putting this detail out there, not disagreeing that the doors have changed.

Finally, there are subtle differences in the perspectives of the two images above and scaling of their sizes may not be accurate, so it is hard to make exact calculations... But Model X mules do seem more rear heavy now than in old prorotype form, that is true.

............snip............ why does the nose need to be so long considering the lack of front engine? I liked the proportions of the prototype better.
Everyone touted Tesla safety, since the beginning of idiot drivers having horrific accidents . . . . and of course the longer the "crumple zone" is, the safer the Tesla can theoretically be. It's called balancing interests.

Very hard to determine the real look of the X based on these pictures, however I do not like the rear side view from the rear wheel to the back. It looks to me that the rear 1/4 panel hangs down way to much and makes it look like someone ran into the rear and smashed it forward. I would prefer a more streamlined look for the rear but will reserve judgement until I see the production version in person.