Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern Virginia to Hancock, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another how to get from place to place question. I need to travel from Northern Virginia up to Hancock, NY (Southern Tier, northeast of Scranton). The direct route goes through Harrisburg, PA. At this point, I'm planning on going to Harrisburg and hitting the Sheetz Chademo charger (don't have the adapter yet). From there, I'll need to stop in Scranton and hit the Nissan dealership on the north side of Scranton.

Has anyone done this route? Anything to be aware of, such as problematic charging locations?

Thanks.

I have another how to get from place to place question. I need to travel from Northern Virginia up to Hancock, NY (Southern Tier, northeast of Scranton). The direct route goes through Harrisburg, PA. At this point, I'm planning on going to Harrisburg and hitting the Sheetz Chademo charger (don't have the adapter yet). From there, I'll need to stop in Scranton and hit the Nissan dealership on the north side of Scranton.

Has anyone done this route? Anything to be aware of, such as problematic charging locations?

Thanks.

You may want to consider 95 to the GSP to the NY Thruway to get to Newburgh (which should be opening soon) then cut across to Hancock. It's an additional 100 miles, but really depends on time of day regarding traffic challenges. Do you think you'd save 90 minutes of Chademo charging that way? Plus you wouldn't have to shell out the money for the adapter.

I've gone to Pittsburgh once using the sheetz chademo charger in state college. I assume the one in Harrisburg would be the same. I'm Planning to go again next weekend. It's really not that bad. An hour buys you an extra 150 miles. Don't know about the Nissan chargers at all. Personally, I'd rather hang out for an hour or two than drive an extra hundred miles or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, my approach may depend on who else makes the drive with me. I think my passengers have different levels of tolerance for detours and/or charging times!

When is your trip? I'll be using the Harrisburg sheetz charger tonight (4001 Union Deposit Road) and someone just posted on plugshare that it is down. Anyway, I'll find out for myself tonight.

There is a backup option @ 6054 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg.

That's a long way from Harrisburg to the NY state line with no "good" charging options. I agree that Newburgh is the ONLY realistic option for you as long as a massive detour through 3 of the largest cities in America is OK (I guess in the middle of the night would be good)

You're trying to cross what appears to be the black hole of public charging! There's nothing between Rochester/Syracuse and State College PA (or Philadelphia). I'm keeping my ICE for my frequent trips to the Philadelphia and DC/Balt areas.

Ok, worst case scenario... Harrisburg sheetz chademo is out of order. I had 30 miles of range left, so I head 13 miles over to the mechanicsburg sheetz chademo, only to find it also out of order. So I go down about a block to a Nissan dealership with a chademo, which apparently isn't compatible with Tesla (it won't start charging, someone else mentioned this in the comments on plugshare) so I am sitting at a 30 amp j1772 in a Nissan dealership 13 miles away from my hotel with only 23 miles of range. Looks like I'll be here most of the night...

Plugshare says Nissan only wants people charging here during business hours, but I don't have much of a choice.

I ended up hanging out at Nissan for about an hour, then going about twelve miles up to an Exxon station in Harrisburg that has free j1772s. Parked there for the night and got an uber ride back to my hotel. Ubered back in the morning and got to Pittsburgh today without a hitch via the somerset supercharger.

Definitely would not have worked out well if I wasn't planning on spending the night anyway. I sent sheetz a message on Twitter and they asked about the store addresses where the chargers weren't working, so hopefully they are going to get them fixed.

I'm impressed that Harrisburg has uber.

why/how do ChaDemo adapters break all the time? I was going to drop $450 for the adapter but it seems pointless if this happens frequently. Seems like a poor design if it can't stay working for more than a few weeks.

So I made the trip I described in the original post this week. While it was doable, it is plain that filling in the supercharger void in Harrisburg and Scranton would make this trip much easier.

Here's a synopsis:

1. We needed to arrive in Hancock, NY on Tuesday in a relatively tight window of time for a drop-off at camp. Thus, out of an abundance of caution, and because my daughter was anxious to get on the road, we left on Monday evening at around 9:00 PM headed to Paramus, NJ as our stop for the evening. This spot was chosen because it's the last supercharger location before heading to Hancock, NY.

2. I entered the hotel into the nav system, where it immediately set-up an illogical charging scheme that include a stop in Bethesda, even though it is only a few miles from the house. Thus, I cancelled that route.

3. I then entered the Newark, DE supercharger instead. We hit some traffic and rain, but we limped our way to the supercharger. Everything went well.

4. Back on the road to Paramus. Hit the hotel around 1:30 AM and went to bed.

5. On Tuesday morning we drove up the street to the supercharger and started our range charge (which was necessary to have any hope of doing a round trip). It took about 1:15 maybe a touch longer.

6. Drove to Hancock without a problem.

7. When I got back in the car and punched up the Paramus supercharger it told me I couldn't make it back without charging, and it suggested a crazy reroute to Greenwich, CT. I was pretty sure I could make it with a few miles to spare based on an Evtripplaner route. However, I didn't want to cut it too close.

8. Thus, I drove about 30 miles to a public charger that is attached to the Catskills Brewery. I needed lunch anyway, but it turned out the brewery was really only a brewery and it wasn't open. Nevertheless, I started charging at typical J1772 speeds (ChargePoint station) and wandered down the road looking for a sandwich. Hardly ideal, but I did find a store. After trekking back to the car, the owner of the brewery came out and we chatted. He's a very nice guy and the brewery has the charging station as part of its "green" building plan that will eventually grant LEED certification for the building.

9. After adding about 18 miles range in an hour or so, I took off again headed for Paramus.

10. I hit major traffic around Paramus, but arrived with more than enough range. Indeed, I probably could have skipped the public charging just as evtripplanner suggested.

11. I charged for about 20-25 minutes in Paramus and headed to the Newark, DE supercharger.

12. After charging in Newark for 20 minutes or so, I headed home.

Observations: The route I chose was definitely faster than trying to publicly charge through PA, but compared to an ICE trip, it took a lot longer given the extra miles and the need for a range charge. In hindsight, I should have found a hotel where I could charged overnight, but the decision to leave on Monday evening was made in haste. Regardless, this trip will be much easier once the shorter route through Harrisburg and Scranton are equipped with superchargers. Come on Tesla!!