Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Sounds of Silence" Tesla Rally, Custer SD May 15-17 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evp

Nerd
Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Arvada, CO
A thread for pictures, connections, memories of the Second annual Custer Rally. Next year - the "Custer Cluster" - hoping for 100 cars showing up.

The city just went all-out for us this year. They had more chargers here than we had cars. Some were temporary, but many are going to be here permanently. Al least two Tesla-friendly RV parks are in town, and the Tesla destination charger team dropped by and installed 8 (I think) stations at the local hotels.

DSC_7323a.jpg

DSC_7349a.jpg

What a great surprise, way to make those Aerial Shots happen! Ed, It was great too meet you and all the other wonderful folks that made this such a great time. Our hosts in Custer treated us like Royalty! Let's all do it again next year! I'll add some pix once I get home. I'm at the Wayside in Broadus, MT tonight. Home to Bozeman tomorrow!

Thanks Ed! How many bottles did you leave Custer with? We saw your car outside Naked Winery on our way out , and also a really really clean brown MS outside Dairy Queen (we all know who owns that). Just got into Cheyenne on our way to Moab before heading back to Michigan via I-70 (where huge SC gaps were filled recently!). This gathering was TRULY AWESOME. IT WAS GREAT TO MEET EVERYONE and, echoing previous statements, we were all indeed treated royally! Thank you fellow road trippers and a special thanks to Dave and Rod for all the work!

Here's a ground-bound perspective of the group shot in front of Crazy Horse Memorial. All y'all better start planning to attend next year's rally: first class all the way, and you can't overstate how well the town of Custer treated us.

20150516-_1480652.jpg

What a view. What RV parks are Tesla-friendly? We will be coming through Custer in early July and will be camping a couple of days with friends at Big Pine.

The two RV parks that I'm familiar with are:

* Flintstones Flintstonesâ„¢ Bedrock City - Home -- large, kid-friendly (ride the choo choo, even if you're not a kid)
* French Creek RV park French Creek RV Park & Campground, South Dakota -- the hosts of the rally last year; small, but right in the center of town

Many of the hotels had destination chargers installed for this year's event, including the Rocket (where Elon stayed on his coast-to-coast trip), Super 8, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn.

Let me also give a shout out to Black Hills Aerial Adventures - Black Hills Aerial Adventures | Mount Rushmore Helicopter Tours - who made the aerial photography possible.

We hope to attend next years Sound of Silence but would like some advice for later this summer. Our challenge is getting from Billings to Rapid City. If the SC is in place in Sheridan that still leaves us 244 miles to Rapid City. The other option is the RV in Broadus but are concerned about the availability of getting a place - would probably make a reservation in July for late August. Any suggestions would be helpful. We have a Model S 85kw Dec 2014.

We hope to attend next years Sound of Silence but would like some advice for later this summer. Our challenge is getting from Billings to Rapid City. If the SC is in place in Sheridan that still leaves us 244 miles to Rapid City. The other option is the RV in Broadus but are concerned about the availability of getting a place - would probably make a reservation in July for late August. Any suggestions would be helpful. We have a Model S 85kw Dec 2014.
There will be superchargers in Sheridan and Gillette by then, almost guaranteed. Custer is about 65 miles closer than going via Rapid City.