Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March+ LTE Connectivity instead of 3G?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not going to be overnight right after Elon's statement. They may or may not have the LTE hardware being installed in cars right now (let alone in the past few months). And, it's probably more to do with cell carriers all over the Tesla sales areas that Tesla has to work out deals with before they can activate the said hardware.

...probably more to do with cell carriers all over the Tesla sales areas that Tesla has to work out deals with before they can activate the said hardware.
They seem to do their best to minimize the number of carriers that they deal with. In Canada they use AT&T SIMs and roam on the Rogers network. That tends to cause problems as many Canadians are unable to consummate a connection back to the Tesla mothership which appears related to roaming authentication issues. This morning it took 14 minutes for my car to finally connect, despite the fact that my phone had a strong signal throughout, and on the same carrier - albeit on LTE rather than 3G.

And I believe that they use AT&T SIMs in all of the US, don't they?

Has anyone taking very recently delivery, say April forward, noticed they have LTE instead of 3G now?
It might not even be possible to notice. The LTE chipsets usually (always?) have 3G fall-back, and it's entirely possible the Tesla software simply hasn't turned on LTE. So they may have been shipping LTE-capable modems for months and the only way you'd even know is if you ripped your center display apart and found the part number.

They like to do "Surprise, recently-delivered cars now have even more features!"-style announcements.

They seem to do their best to minimize the number of carriers that they deal with. In Canada they use AT&T SIMs and roam on the Rogers network. That tends to cause problems as many Canadians are unable to consummate a connection back to the Tesla mothership which appears related to roaming authentication issues. This morning it took 14 minutes for my car to finally connect, despite the fact that my phone had a strong signal throughout, and on the same carrier - albeit on LTE rather than 3G.

And I believe that they use AT&T SIMs in all of the US, don't they?

For the first 10 months of our ownership, there was no problem with 3G data connections being dropped in areas that Rogers had coverage (where Rogers phones work). For us, the problem with 3G dropping out in areas covered by Rogers started in October 2014 and it seems to be getting worse recently.