Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weekend build quality at factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's the same. There is absolutely NO WAY Tesla would allow for a lower build quality on certain days or shifts. It would be quickly picked up as I'm sure they're using current methods of SPC (statistical process control) to constantly monitor build quality.

A constant high and even build quality has been a top priority since they started building Model S. In the beginning Elon would personally inspect each car before clearing it for delivery. Of course he doesn't anymore, but you do quality control on all cars and on top of that random (not purely random but strategic) sampling with in-depth controls.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry as well. Most of the car is built by robs and factory workers assemble with torque controlled devices, removing the need for them to worry about how much/strong something is attached - instead they align the part (which somewhat self aligns) and just attach whatever it is. The videos I've seen as well show a pretty good QA process throughout and at the end of the line.

I have to say, though, that one of my favorite stops on an early factory tour is at the end of the assembly line just before testing. There was a man with a small cart of tools that was inspecting lines, gaps, door fit, etc. He got out some sort of pry bar from his cart to work on the car that was almost done and gave the driver's door a big "arrrrgh" while he used the tool to line up the gaps better...We went from high tech to low tech on the factory floor in about 5 seconds and it made me smile...The door looked better after he did that.... :)

Why do we se such a variation in build quality? Tesla motors in Norway use a lot of time and money to adjust Window list and sealing. Door handles thats scratch the Windows. Won't come out because they are adjusted wrong. Wheel alignment is so far of that Tesla buying people new tires regularly. If they just had used 5 more minutes on this, they would save millions, just in Norway.

I have to say, though, that one of my favorite stops on an early factory tour is at the end of the assembly line just before testing. There was a man with a small cart of tools that was inspecting lines, gaps, door fit, etc. He got out some sort of pry bar from his cart to work on the car that was almost done and gave the driver's door a big "arrrrgh" while he used the tool to line up the gaps better...We went from high tech to low tech on the factory floor in about 5 seconds and it made me smile...The door looked better after he did that.... :)

That's kind of disturbing really. I mean honestly, they still haven't calibrated the machines right so they have to resort to brute force at the end? I just picture in my head some big guy with a sledgehammer whacking the crap out of the car in an effort to make it not better but instead just less worse than before.

I sure hope not. My S85 went in to production Friday 5-15. It got the folk weekend build.

It seems that they are birthing S' like lightening lately. Hopefully I'll see mine soon!!!

It does seem like builds have really picked up speed, or number of builds at least. I'd love to know what the throughput of the factory is now per day/week accurately. Seems like it has doubled in perception. I'm sure they added some as the demand for 70D appears to be high.

That story takes me back 60 years. On a boy scout group visit to GM Van Nuys assembly plant (now long gone) at the end of the tour we saw perhaps your tech's grandfather checking door fit and adjusting hinges by the old dictum "if it don't fit the first time, get a bigger hammer". Sure enough, he used a big metal bar and a 3 lb sledge hammer to adjust the door hinge.

Last edited: