Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Tesla Model S P85D Breaks, Before Testing | Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those silly door handles should have never made it to production. Or at the very least, if they fail - the handles fail safely. That is upon failure the handles deploy and still can function manually. Better yet, just ditch the things and replace with conventional flush handles.

@James Anders: even if the door handles are a superfluous feature in your eyes, they have given the Model S extra flair that helps it garner additional attention. Note how many video reviews show the door handles retracting -- I can't think of any videos that introduce or review the model S that don't show them. Owners will likely vouch for how many comments they get on the handles.

It's that extra flair as well as the touch screen that have really helped Tesla capture the imagination and make an emphatic statement that an all electric car can be desirable. I tend to think of it as a nice little flourish -- similar to how iOS has a slight rubber band bounce when you scroll to the top or bottom of a screen -- not essential but an appreciated touch of elegance.

That said, I agree a failsafe mode would have been a good idea.

@James Anders: even if the door handles are a superfluous feature in your eyes, they have given the Model S extra flair that helps it garner additional attention. Note how many video reviews show the door handles retracting -- I can't think of any videos that introduce or review the model S that don't show them. Owners will likely vouch for how many comments they get on the handles.

It's that extra flair as well as the touch screen that have really helped Tesla capture the imagination and make an emphatic statement that an all electric car can be desirable. I tend to think of it as a nice little flourish -- similar to how iOS has a slight rubber band bounce when you scroll to the top or bottom of a screen -- not essential but an appreciated touch of elegance.

That said, I agree a failsafe mode would have been a good idea.

Agreed on both points. At this weekend's Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally (44 Model S from as far as Louisiana, California and Quebec), the local Fox TV station came out to do a piece and, you guessed it: it featured the door handles extending.

BTW, y'all really ought to consider joining next year's Black Hills rally; organizer/Model S owner Rod Hoffman and his BIL, Dave Ressler (Black Hill CofC director) really put on a great event. Custer SD is probably the per capita destination charging world champion at this point, with 48 L2 charging points up and running this weekend; many of them are permanently installed. Have a look at PlugShare.

Shud Chevrolet drop the ignition switch because they having made a good one in the past 60 years? The doors make the model s special. Go to the Toyota dealer if you want something that's never fails and is boring as F..
but I wonder why they didn't use some more time on them. what's causing the problem? Have anyone try to open them?

Embedded video inline:

In the video, an unconvincing attempt is made to manually get the handle to present. You have to actually push on the handle to get it to present, not just touch it. While it's possible in this instance that the handle was completely unresponsive, the problem could have been limited to the auto-present function. I've had this happen on my car, and yes, it did require a handle replacement. But I could always get it to present by pushing firmly on the handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
That video was as positive as it could have been. There was an issue but it was handled will home service available to ALL Tesla owners. What other car company does that. Lemonade from lemons.

I love the auto present feature. It still makes me smile when approaching the door. And it gets plenty of reaction when I'm showing the car to friends.

And if they fail when the car is out of warranty? I wonder how much it will cost to replace/fix. If this was a 1st year design glitch and was quickly resolved it would be one thing. But after this long?

Yeah, it's a cool feature. But I seriously doubt that if the Model S never had these retractable handles and had flush aerodynamic mechanical handles from the beginning that most people here would have cried out... "Oh, if this car only had retractable motorized handles."

The driving experience and other functional technology would have still captured the hearts and minds of everyone here.

And if they fail when the car is out of warranty? I wonder how much it will cost to replace/fix. If this was a 1st year design glitch and was quickly resolved it would be one thing. But after this long?

Yeah, it's a cool feature. But I seriously doubt that if the Model S never had these retractable handles and had flush aerodynamic mechanical handles from the beginning that most people here would have cried out... "Oh, if this car only had retractable motorized handles."

The driving experience and other functional technology would have still captured the hearts and minds of everyone here.

Man, you read my mind! Exactly.

I wish the door handles were an option. I wouldn't have selected them even if they were free. Would much prefer a manual, fail-safe door handle. But I'm not knocking those who love them. More power to them. I'm just not one of them. To each his own. The electric drive, no gasoline aspect of the car is what's important to me, plus the auto-pilot now, if they do release it...

A bit over dramatic start to the video. "it's already broke". a door handle ? really... and of course those first words stick in your mind even though the car is not really "broken"; you can still drive it.
IMHO and the response I get from people is the WOW factor on the door handles. They are unique and do serve a purpose.

You could still have flush handles but have them spring operated by pushing them in and them popping out. Like the current ICE cars fuel cap door.

For them to be pushed back in again that can occur mechanically by closing the door.

Would be a better design if they failed 'out' though, or if you could give them a hard push and they popped out.

If the handles failed "out" you wouldn't be able to secure the car.

With the handles failing in, in spite of the fact that "Consumer Reports" did not explain it properly, the car was still completely functional, since it could be accessed via the passenger door, and started via the app. (By the way, why couldn't it still have been started the regular way, once someone climbed into the driver's seat through the passenger's door?)