Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAULT: Park Lock Problem (ID: 100) - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help guys, I have a problem with #1422 that I have not seen before.

As soon as you open the door and the car comes 'alive', the FAULT light on the dash illuminates and I get the error message pictured below on the display. "Parking Lock Problem Vehicle May Be Free Rolling. ID: 100."

The shift selector is stuck with neutral (N) selected and the car will not allow me to select anything else (P, R or D).

I tried pushing the car to see if it would, in fact, roll free, and the parking locks are clearly engaged properly.

Also, presumably since it will not go into park (P), the car will now also not take a charge. The display screen stays in Drive mode, regardless.

Anyone seen this before? Any trouble shooting advice? I drove the car just this morning and everything was fine.

HELP!

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'd try cycling it into and out of free rolling mode from the service menu.

Hit the Wrench (Settings), Go to the Third Page, Press Tow Mode. Confirm it. Move it a little. Clear tow mode. See if its happy again.

Could also try a VMS reboot, which folks claim you can do by cycling the charge door open and closed rapidly a few times -- though this has never actually worked for me (according to the dmesg logs anyway).

Outside of that, I'd guess one of the cables to the transmission (probably a sensor) is loose, or a sensor has failed.

Crud...

Tried both. When I put it Tow mode, it still wouldn't roll, so it seems the parking stops are not retracting even when Tow Mode is selected. Turned Tow Mode off, and the error remained unchanged.

Flipped the charge door open and closed numerous times... No effect...

Fortunately they have a tool (cable really) for overriding the parking pawl allowing the car to be rolled even if its severely bricked. Your service center's ranger (or pickup team) should be able to use this to release lock and move it onto the trailer.

For reference those tools are:

RST-182-H
Tesla part number: 1013750-01-A
Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 1.5

RST-182-G
Tesla part number: 1013750-02-A
Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 2.0

From the photos it looks like the 2.0 version probably plugs in place of the VMS CAN coms connector, and directly connects to one of the CAN buses there, while also providing power ... probably (photo isn't too great).

Alternatively, roller dollies or dawn soap work reasonable well.

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys. They came and picked 1422 up yesterday afternoon and took him to the Service Center. It was so sad....

Thank God they have finally opened the center in Tysons just around the corner. No more painful trips up to Rockville and the terrors of 270!

Still no word on what exactly is wrong. I'll keep you posted.

So the service guys in Tysons have had it for a week now, and apparently still have NO IDEA what is wrong with it!

Has anyone seen or had this problem before?

In the 1.5 there was a Transmission control Module (TCM) that only contained a fuse i.e. --> Transmission control Module (TCM) for 1.5
On later models I assume this fuse has been relocated to a new location, might want to find it and check it out.