Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M40 corridor 3G connectivity improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the first time I had a 3G connection from GU20 6QA to Birmingham and back and a solid one at that. I listened to internet radio most of the way with little buffering or drop out. I have been back and forth with Tesla over the last few months/weeks and they indicated there was work being done,

The connection now is better than my mobile on the same provider O2. Anyone else notice an improvement in your area? Gary

Yesterday was the first time I had a 3G connection from GU20 6QA to Birmingham and back and a solid one at that. I listened to internet radio most of the way with little buffering or drop out. I have been back and forth with Tesla over the last few months/weeks and they indicated there was work being done,

The connection now is better than my mobile on the same provider O2. Anyone else notice an improvement in your area? Gary

Not used the M40 for a few weeks, but 3G in/around Northants along the A45 is not so good, with sometimes 30 minutes of blank sat-nav screen .. which is doubly frustrating when trying to act as am Tesla ambassador to a potential MS buyer who lives along the A45 and was none to impressed with lack of maps despite the rest of the car being amazing to him !!!

Did Tesla Service do anything to the sat nav in your car / update the software / 3G arieal pickup location / something else ? Or are you referring to an improvement in the 3G service along the M40 ?

I really wish the sat-nav had been designed to cache the map data data so at least I don't loose the entire functionality in weaker signal areas. In such a hi-tech car it seems like a bad design point for such a major item !

Interesting !

How does one enable this / or get the configuration update - is it an OTA update ? .. something Tesla Service have to do ?

Lack of 3G signal strength around here is doing my nut !!

I think it came in with 6.2, but I am not certain of that.

It is still a mixed blessing, since in its current form the car will only roam if it loses signal altogether - if it's locked onto a useless O2 2G signal, it won't make the switch. Tesla reputedly working on this.

It's hard to know when it is in effect, as there's no explicit indicator in the car. I first saw it just after upgrading to 6.2 when the indicator was saying '3G' in an area where I know O2 only has 2G coverage. I thought 6.2 had broken the '3G'/'E' indicator at the time, since I hadn't heard about the roaming when I saw this.