Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S pictures wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to see some close ups of pictures of Model S's that have withstood the test of time and abuse of normal daily usage, and normal car washes etc. I keep reading that the paint of Model S's is water based and not good etc.
Would love it if long term Model S owners can post pictures, or opinions/experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I was hoping to see some close ups of pictures of Model S's that have withstood the test of time and abuse of normal daily usage, and normal car washes etc. I keep reading that the paint of Model S's is water based and not good etc.
Would love it if long term Model S owners can post pictures, or opinions/experiences.

Thanks in advance!

VIN 00064, Sept 2012, 72,000 miles, Chocolate Brown Pearl Custom Factory Paint

Mine still looks like new, drives like new. No paint issues except where we backed into a rock. Can't see it now after repair. I show the car at EV ride and drives, parades, meetings. Showed it yesterday.

Have FULL front hood ppf. I wash by hand, so no swirls, but your choice.

Home.JPG

I've heard about all these issues and decided to protect the car with vinyl and plastidip all around. The materials cost me around $300. On top of that I spent one weekend in my garage (you put your own $$$ estimate here :biggrin: ). The car is close to 2 years old now. I realize that I'm not helping you understand the Tesla paint quality but maybe you don't have to after all :cool:

WP_20150517_002.jpg
WP_20150517_005.jpg
WP_20150517_006.jpg

I've heard about all these issues and decided to protect the car with vinyl and plastidip all around. The materials cost me around $300. On top of that I spent one weekend in my garage (you put your own $$$ estimate here :biggrin: ). The car is close to 2 years old now. I realize that I'm not helping you understand the Tesla paint quality but maybe you don't have to after all :cool:

View attachment 81241QUOTE]

Does that "stealth" finish make your S radar-invisible too? :)

Yum!

"reaching for that Hershey's bar" :)

Rob, I'd think that your car as well as ggr's Pinky are outliers though; they were painted - still with water-based paint, but... - at Chilton's in San Carlos and not on the line at the factory, right?

They never told me where, but yup, the panels were trailered off somewhere, then brought back and assembled. Since the OP seemed to be concerned with survivability of water based paints, I think this is in that ball park. My paint is every bit as good as any car I have owned, and quite a bit better than some of the older types that required a clear coat or multi coat.

Then again, in CA, there is no weather, heat or cold, rain, hail, sand blowing or being kicked up from the ice. No bird droppings or tree sap. No rust even if you have a steel car. So we're not in that category.

Mostly, you gotta take care of it. If you wipe it off with a dirty rag, you will have swirls. If you send it through the car wash spinning fringe, you'll have swirls. If you hire a couple of illegal aliens to wash your car, guess what. My wife and I spray off Hersheycar and wipe gently every week. We are unjustifiably proud, and it drives so much better than when it's dirty.

And, I so much appreciate your continued approval of my color choice, from clear back before I even had it done, as I remember. It continues to be the number one comment from every person seeing it: "I LOVE your color". Tesla should pay attention here!

Rob thanks for posting the pictures. Lucky for you, in Napa Valley, weather is hardly a concern. The east coast salt does all sorts of magic on cars.
Wolfpet - your car looks incredibly sexy. There is just no other way to put it, it looks INCREDIBLE!
Did you put on that yourself? I wish I was that talented.

Wolfpet - your car looks incredibly sexy. There is just no other way to put it, it looks INCREDIBLE!
Did you put on that yourself? I wish I was that talented.

Thanks, but this doesn't require that much of a talent really. You just watch a few TouTube videos on the subject and then try it yourself. The wrap is completely reversable -- If you made a mistake just peel it and try again. There are also multiple shops that are happy to help. They charge some $$$ though. Still the investment is worth it I think.