Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gattaca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of being mildly curious about this highbrow sci-fi movie (it was released in 1997), I finally got around to watching Gattaca. Although I found it unsettling, on the whole I liked it.

One of the most peculiar things about the movie is its retro twist on the future. It seems that sometime decades in the unspecified future, everyone will dress like it's the 1950s and party like it's the 1920s all over again. I thought the cars were particularly funny. From the sounds they make, they're all obviously electric cars, but they mostly look like 1960s-1970s frumpy little European cars. Then, at one point, we get a good look at a man plugging in one of those induction-charging paddles like the GM EV1 used!

Gattaca was a really good Sci-fi dystopian future movie. A great warning story about the perils of profiling taken to extremes. I really like this sort of movie that causes one to think. I don't really remember the cars, the main thing I remember was how they told a rather large story without the need for large budget fancy scenes.
As with any movie, it's the story that counts, not the accurate portrayal of life in the future.

The cars they used were an Avanti( mid 60s studebaker,futuristic looking but not something most people are familiar with) for Ethan Hawkes character and Uma Thumond drove a late 50s Citroen DS convertible for the same reason. A good way to keep production costs down by not having some customizer build you future cars

I really liked this movie as well. Like most things, there are problems when something is taken to the extreme, and it's always fun rooting for the underdog (as defined by the story plot).

Since genetics are a primary topic of the movie, I really like that the title is made only of the letters A, T, G, and C, which are the abbreviations for the 4 different molecules in DNA. Very clever those Hollywood-types!