Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Crackling" noise in headliner aft of the Driver sun visor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D, noticed going over rough roads that I was getting some noise/vibration above my head.

With the car stopped, if I unfold the driver sun visor and push gently aft of the visor on the headliner, I get a slight cracking sound. Doesn't happen on the passenger side.

Any ideas? Perhaps the headliner does not have good adhesion to the sunroof area?

Thanks!

-- David

Thanks, glad it's not just me. Out of curiosity were you hearing the noise while driving on bumpy roads, as well?

-- David

Yes, I was. For the longest time I thought it was something wrong with the pano roof because for me the sound was coming from the passenger side between the front and back doors and the service center could never figure it out. The one day I pressed on the headliner and discovered that's where the problem was.

- - - Updated - - -

If you had the Pano roof, you wouldn't have this issue! :)

I have the pano roof and still had the problem.

I had this issue a about a year after ownership. Whenever driving over a bump, I would get a rattle. Seemed to be coming from passenger side somewhere either above the headliner or in the dash. I had it checked at a service center and they said it was the radio antenna (AM I think) which had become dislodged. They re-glued it (or refastened it in some way and that solved the rattle. It's been good ever since.