Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What current vehicle looks most like a Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious- I have a Model X reservation and wonder what existing vehicle most closely resembles the exterior dimensions of the Model X. I've read the specs, but can't really relate to the numbers. It would be nice to see something on the road and say "Oh- that's about the same size as the Model X." Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have been saying to people for some time now, "you know what a BMW X6 looks like? Kinda like that." The Model X seems mas grande around the rear end tho. Not as tapered as the X6
(it's a BiG car)

I have been saying to people for some time now, "you know what a BMW X6 looks like? Kinda like that." The Model X seems mas grande around the rear end tho. Not as tapered as the X6
(it's a BiG car)

I think you're right, it does sort of look a bit like the X6. Which is unfortunate because I think the X6 is the pinnacle of bad design from BMW. But then again driving an SUV where I live is the pinnacle of bad taste anyway. The main reason being that they are seen, somewhat rightly, as big stupid gas guzzlers that only americans would buy. So I'll wait and see if the X gives the SUV a new lease on life in northern Europe, it certainly has the "green image" to do so.

Benz GLC
Mercedes GLC 2016 4.jpg
mercedes-benz-glc-coupe-china-1-2-660x447.jpg

To me the defining characteristic of the Tesla are the two continuous lines that meet in the back, with an upper window line that flows with the roofline all the way, like an eye corner. In both the Mazda and Volvo, it seems the rooflines shift and take a different direction. The Mercedes concept comes the closest IMO of the pics posted here.

I think you're right, it does sort of look a bit like the X6. Which is unfortunate because I think the X6 is the pinnacle of bad design from BMW. But then again driving an SUV where I live is the pinnacle of bad taste anyway. The main reason being that they are seen, somewhat rightly, as big stupid gas guzzlers that only americans would buy. So I'll wait and see if the X gives the SUV a new lease on life in northern Europe, it certainly has the "green image" to do so.

It was the pinnacle of bad design when it came out, but clearly the BMW guys loved it as they then came out and outdid themselves in hideousness with the 5-series GT.

BMW_530d_Gran_Turismo_(2009)_-_rear.jpg

I don't think 1208 was serious. It was a Juke.

You got it!:smile:

BTW anyone sat in a Juke? I hit my head going in and out, it was so cramped, and the visibility through the windscreen was bad, the window was short. It just looks big because of the bodywork.

The main selling point I think is that the ride position is higher. I notice a lot of elderly going for cars with greater ride heights because they are easier to get in and out of the seats. I think they call them mini SUVs.

Lets hope the ride height of the X is similar to other SUVs like the Volvo, BMW and Audi.

We need to see a video of the X driving past another SUV for comparison.

I think from a size perspective (even somewhat general shape) it is close to an Audi Q7...

Q7 certainly has been an inspiration. It was presented as a comparison in the original Model X prototype launch in 2012. Length of Model X and Q7 should be close, Model S is already very close to Q7's siblings in the A6/A7 sector.

That said, Q7 is a real SUV platform-wise, while Model X is a cross-over version of the sedan/hatchback. I expect Q7 to remain the "more imposing" one of the two, higher ground clearance etc.

Here is Tesla's real inspiration for the final version, though:

1280px-Fiat_Multipla_front_20080825.jpg

I'd say the old Mazda MX Crossport Concept (which later became the CX-7)

MX Crossport
Mazda-MX-Crossport-Concept-022.jpg

CX-7
07-Mazda-CX-7.jpg

Maybe Franz's influences at Mazda?
This makes sense based on your last comment - I also remember reading that Franz was with Mazda prior to Tesla. I see some styling queues in the Model S based on some of the 2010-2013 Mazdas. Tail lights and headlights, profiles, etc.

What? Are you saying that we American are gluttonous, hedonistic pigs that don't care about anybody but ourselves???

I couldn't agree more and it pisses me off. I bought the MS to be a positive contributor to our earth and the waste I see in our country is simply appalling.

What? Are you saying that we American are gluttonous, hedonistic pigs that don't care about anybody but ourselves???

I couldn't agree more and it pisses me off. I bought the MS to be a positive contributor to our earth and the waste I see in our country is simply appalling.

Actually I never quite said that. What I was trying to say is that the SUV is seen as typically American and after the financial crisis in 2008 the SUVs reputation became hopelessly entangled with the spending frenzy leading up to the crash. The suv has become the symbol of stupid spending and inefficient use of gas. It's really more about the message your car is sending when you drive along.

Even the Model S is almost too big and vulgar in our country. But it gets a pass because it is beautiful and electric.

From my American family and all the people I have ever met travelling across some 30-40 states I have always been impressed with their sense of community and how well informed everybody has been.

Going back a page or two, I think the X6 is pretty cool looking. Nice forward stance like it's ready to pounce. Certainly preferable to the X5 which looks exactly like every other non-descript BoxUV on the planet.