Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back seats swivel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dreamt of riding in a Model X last night, in the second row. I was slightly disappointed in my dream to find that the seats didnt swivel, but was very pleased with the extremely generous legroom. Make of that what you will.

I dreamt of riding in a Model X last night, in the second row. I was slightly disappointed in my dream to find that the seats didnt swivel, but was very pleased with the extremely generous legroom. Make of that what you will.

I sense another dictionary debate. I mean, we can't really call that factual, but speculation would sound like the wrong word too. ;)

On topic: I guess the only hint on the second row we have is Elon Musk's hyping of "sculptural beauty", which certainly could hint to above-average versatility (and with those falcon wings, swiveling action would surely work great)... but I don't think we've heard anything beyond that? sigurdi have some juicy tidpit of some Tesla rep spilling beans as a Norwegian gettogether? :)

It would be realy nice if it also could turn 180, but I do not think it exsist child seats tested when mounted regular way and still have the vhild facing back.
The child seats here, have steal bars that goes to the floor and fastened againt the drivers seat to keep them mounted with child facing back.

It is meansioned one place in this forum a member having a chat with one pearson working for a company desiging chairs for Tesla.
He was as exited about chairs that Elon is about rockets and cars. :)
The conclusion in the discussion here on TMC was that the seats would face out when dors was opened.
A real lady killer function that they would love, easy to fastening the kids in their seats.
Stil just speculstion but cool ones.
Pardon my spelling, gone to bed, glasses on my dresser and autocorrect on iphone with language set to norwegian just sucks when trying to write english. :)
Back in 8 hours after sending kids to school. :)

I spoke with a tesla person on the phone yesterday. He said that he had just seen a production release model of the MX. I probed for everything but got little. When asked about the fantastic rear seats, he said they slide forward and back. No mention of the swivel.

What if the backrest slides forward and backward over the bottom part of the seat thereby changing seat direction? If you slide it to the front you sit facing the back row and your backrest would be the back of the backrest, slid toward the front of the car. Hard to describe, but I hope you guys can imagine what I mean.

It would be cool because, it would open up the back, and allow limo style seating where you face your companions and you could even have meetings.

I'm guessing it's unlikely though. Although cool, I can imagine the safety issues with this new type of seat. And facing backward in a launch in a model X P100D would require a harness and could result in neck injury :)

The original 2012-2013 Model X prototypes did have forward/backwards sliding second rows, of course, so that at the minimum is expected to make entering the third row easier.

In the original Model X prototype unveil, Elon Musk actually comments on sliding the chair, when demonstrating.

The Is this a real photo of the Model X 2nd row seats? thread also displays some pictures of the 2013 prototype with the "rails" on the floor for the sliding second row:

attachment.php?attachmentid=74160&d=1425652167.jpg

But beyond that, I think all we've got is Elon Musk's quote "2nd row seats are a piece of sculptural beauty".

- - - Updated - - -

What if the backrest slides forward and backward over the bottom part of the seat thereby changing seat direction? If you slide it to the front you sit facing the back row and your backrest would be the back of the backrest, slid toward the front of the car. Hard to describe, but I hope you guys can imagine what I mean.

It would be cool because, it would open up the back, and allow limo style seating where you face your companions and you could even have meetings.

I'm guessing it's unlikely though. Although cool, I can imagine the safety issues with this new type of seat. And facing backward in a launch in a model X P100D would require a harness and could result in neck injury :)

That would be an interesting way of implement it, although it wouldn't help so much with putting a baby in - and there would be the issue of having backrest suitable material on both sides of the second-row back, meaning dirty feet on third row could touch the other side of that backrest when set in normal position...

Back in February 2012, Elon was taking questions about the Model-X and a reporter asked what features would actually make it to production. Skip to 1:30 to get right to the 2nd row rail.

He said that the 2nd row seats had a very clean design and that the rails generated a very clean and spacious floor beneath. He was very proud of them and said he would do everything he could to make sure that the rail design (or something very similar) would make it to production.

If this simple design is a success, I can imagine that most 2nd row seats will be built this way by 2020 (unless Tesla patents it and doesn't share this patent). I can also imagine that storage beneath the seats might be possible (e.g. Skis & snowboards). What I can't imagine is that the seat-back slides forward to transform into a rear-facing seat. Too much additional design would be required (additional materials, 5-point harness, more reinforcement, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much additional design would be required (additional materials, 5-point harness, more reinforcement, etc.).

Is there anything to suggest rear-facing seats would require 5 point harnesses? I get it they have them on the Model S, because the function of those seats is to also act as child-seats (that often have such harnesses), but wouldn't this be different on a general-purpose second-row?

Chrysler Town and Country doesn't seem to have 5 point harnesses?

112_0701_02z%2B2008_chrysler_town_and_country%2Binterior_seating.jpg

Is there anything to suggest rear-facing seats would require 5 point harnesses? I get it they have them on the Model S, because the function of those seats is to also act as child-seats (that often have such harnesses), but wouldn't this be different on a general-purpose second-row?

I just always assumed that a 5-point harness was necessary, either because of regulation or due to fear of legal action. Flight attendant jump seats and the Model-S rear seats are just a few examples. That image might not be a stock Chrysler option, but rather a custom after-market solution. The 2015 model doesn't appear to have this option, at least not in Canada.

I like seats on trains like that...but I doubt there would be that much leg room in the X. In the picture that someone posted of the minivan with such seats, it looks like the passengers' legs would be intertwined and no place for your feet.

- - - Updated - - -

112_0701_02z%2B2008_chrysler_town_and_country%2Binterior_seating.jpg

Look at all that leg room. There must be at least 6 inches for both passengers to share! :wink:

I just always assumed that a 5-point harness was necessary, either because of regulation or due to fear of legal action. Flight attendant jump seats and the Model-S rear seats are just a few examples. That image might not be a stock Chrysler option, but rather a custom after-market solution. The 2015 model doesn't appear to have this option, at least not in Canada.

It was a factory feature, though dropped in 2011 due to lack of consumer interest they say. The seats swiveled, as some speculate Model X's seats might do.

Chrysler Town Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They still have that funky "swiveling" third row for tailgating, very American. :)

One notable thing is that this swiveling second row was for two people (and Town & Country had/has three person third row). Making a swiveling bench would be harder. That said, an "executive" second row (like optionally on some premium cars), could do with just two seats.

Indeed it doesn't look very spacious... unless you consider the option of using an empty opposing chair as ottoman.

070809_swivelseats_bcol_1130a.grid-6x2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I like seats on trains like that...but I doubt there would be that much leg room in the X. In the picture that someone posted of the minivan with such seats, it looks like the passengers' legs would be intertwined and no place for your feet.

Indeed, with opposing seats one would loose the possibility of placing feet underneath the row in front.

That said, a halfway swiveling seat would help entry/leaving the car from both rows, as well as help placing babies in the second row.

We have no proof of any swiveling action on the Model X, and I am not expecting any. Just some fun speculation. :)

That is it, actually. I was leaving dinner with my wife and daughter on Sunday when another family approached us and asked how we liked our Model S. The husband explained he worked for the seat manufacturer that supplies Tesla, and he is moving to Fremont next month (Tesla is moving the seat and headliner supplier in-house at Fremont). Apparently, his company is supplying the new seats that Elon mentioned in the shareholder meeting. He also told me that his company will be supplying the headliners as well. Anyway, I asked if he had worked on the Model X, and his reply was yes. He was excited to tell me that the seats are going to be ridiculously cool because the second row seats slide forward so you can enter the Third row with ease and the second row seats also rotate so maneuvering car seats is very easy (even when the child is already buckled in). It is difficult to describe this guy's enthusiasm for the Model X's car seats. I thought he was enthusiastic because that is his company's specialty, but after hearing Elon comment on it, they are something to look forward to.

This quote from an old thread indicates that they at least have considered a 2nd row which rotates maybe just for ease of entry to 3rd row or, who knows, possibly more ...
Musk's hint to 2nd row seats in Model X

This quote from an old thread indicates that they at least have considered a 2nd row which rotates maybe just for ease of entry to 3rd row or, who knows, possibly more ...
Musk's hint to 2nd row seats in Model X

mikevbf (and michiganmodels): Thank you for sharing that quote and thread link, I for one had missed that. I'd consider that a little more anecdotal info (always the question of who to trust of course) towards expecting greats things from row 2. :)

Also interesting, albeit less discussed I think, is what kind of versatility Tesla is planning for row 3 - and is it possible to not order it at all, and if so, what will be in its place.

In a thread even longer ago where I suggested swivel chairs for card playing and such, I suggested a 2, 2, 3 seat arrangement where the middle 2 seats swivel. That way the third row becomes just as accessible and comfortable as the second. Here's to hoping this is what they have had in mind for last couple years of designing ...

cards in the car

Also interesting, albeit less discussed I think, is what kind of versatility Tesla is planning for row 3 - and is it possible to not order it at all, and if so, what will be in its place.

The reasons why row 3 hasn't been discussed in some time is because over a year ago (with much disappointment) Tesla indicated that it would be a paid-for option. So, to answer your question, you can get a Model-X without a 3rd row and I would expect it to be replaced by a flat floor for more cargo space.

The disappointment with this announcement was likely due to the fact that Tesla seemed to imply that this would be a 3-row vehicle (standard) and if you wanted to have a 3rd row, you now had to pay extra. But considering that not everyone wanted a 3rd row, it makes sense to have it as a paid-for option.