Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot "in three months"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For everyone out there.... What do you think the chances of TM rolling out the autopilot/software V7 update around mid June which would be three months from the Range Anxiety event? Tesla for the most part has always delivered what they said they would but more than not misses deadlines.

My dealer in the UK told me August and 2 weeks ago they took my order for autopilot on my 70 (which is to be delivered end August). No idea if they are just hoping and if it isn't there they might say "you'll get it over the air when available". If they do I shall be withholding some cash as my wife won't drive it without self park and I may need to swap cars some times for long work journeys.

The other part of the question would be how much of the AutoPilot would be enabled with 7.0. That has always been a fuzzy one. 6.0 brought some capabilities, but it was 6.2 that brought much more of the capabilities. That may be the case again for 7.0.

I'm guessing they could move much faster than they are on rolling this out if it weren't for the naked ape factor. humans need time to adjust to this one, it's got lots of implications and rolling it out in stages helps settle some of the jitters and forces regulators to make progress on making it clear where they stand.

For everyone out there.... What do you think the chances of TM rolling out the autopilot/software V7 update around mid June which would be three months from the Range Anxiety event? Tesla for the most part has always delivered what they said they would but more than not misses deadlines.

There has been a lot of talk about the lane keeping functionality coming "this summer." I don't know, though, that it's tied to version 7 of the software. It wouldn't surprise me if that came later.

Didn't Elon say Lane Keeping would come out in the next release and V7 would follow that? I had June (6.3) for Lane Keeping and September for V7 (new gui, self parking etc). Time will tell but I believe 6.3 is very close.

I'm guessing they could move much faster than they are on rolling this out if it weren't for the naked ape factor. humans need time to adjust to this one, it's got lots of implications and rolling it out in stages helps settle some of the jitters and forces regulators to make progress on making it clear where they stand.

Current Model S won't get anything that isn't yet functional in some other cars on the roads. So no need for educating or regulatory changes.

The Wall Street Journal and also IBD (Investors Business Daily) mentioned that TM would be releasing a turn signal passing software update this summer via software update for those Model S correctly equipped. No exact timing was revealed. As you all may recall, this was shown and demonstrated at the "D" event when the P85D was announced last year. Mobileye (MBLY) was also mentioned as the firm that is bringing this tech to the auto makers. Eye1 software came out in the Volvo XC60 in 2011. The latest version from Mobileye is supposedly called Eye3 and that is what will be in the Tesla S and X amongst others. If you go to Mobileye - Our Vision. Your Safety. and look at the technology tab you can pretty much see the future of the S and X as far as autonomous driving is concerned. BTW, this tech is very sticky from Mobiles's perspective. Once they win a design in they pretty much have that automobile manufacturer locked as a customer for the next 5 to 8 years at least.

Lastly, Nvidia (NVDA) is also involved in the current and future versions of the display and compute power of the S and X from what I can figure out.

I wonder why it's taking them so long. Not only is this technology already available on other cars (okay, minus the turn signal lane change thing, but really, how hard is that?), but I would think the steering would be trivial in comparison with making the adaptive cruise control work well. After all, almost all of the scenarios you hear about involve the car failing to brake at the right moment, not it steering into some object.

Anyone purchasing the car for autopilot features is likely to be very disappointed for quite some time. Tesla's implementation of blind spot monitoring is abysmal as has been discussed at length and while self parking has been available in numerous other cars for years, Tesla does not have it yet. Buy the car because it is amazing in so many other ways and eventually....emphasis on eventually, Tesla will probably get the autopilot stuff right. I would love to have good blind spot monitoring and all the other auto pilot features they have talked about, but I bought my second Tesla knowing I was not likely see any of that for quite some time. Now if I discover that the existing autopilot platform cannot keep up with the software releases and cannot be retro-fitted...then I will be dissapointed to put it mildly. I bought the car for the platform, not the existing or near term capabilities.

... I bought the car for the platform, not the existing or near term capabilities.
So did I, but that does not stop me being irritated that Tesla is so far behind in a few easy areas. It would be nice to have the really simple things, like a visual of the front camera, already installed, and visual distance tags such as those used by most other expensive cars already.

I accept that the auto park my four year old BMW came with, will probably only be on my Tesla when the autopilot functions come. I accept that the partly crude/partly advanced TACC will probably only really be excellent when the rest of the autopilot package comes.

In sum, it seems to me we are all doing some beta testing. We all knew that when we bought. I am so happy with the car I see all that imperfection as very minor, and the excellent roadside service number has remotely fixed the only two glitches that were bothersome, both done on the air in minutes.

Still, as good beta testers should, whether formally declared as such or not, we should regularly report deficiencies and calmer for our particular preferences to be high on the priority list for Tesla.

Despite my last sentence the biggest priorities for me are all infrastructure, i.e., better service centre network, improved MIS at Tesla, and above all, more Supercharging to fill in gaps everywhere (that means worldwide to be fair, although I do have a list of urgent local preferences also).

One thing I've noticed all over TMC is Elon makes some hopeful comment about what's coming and when it might possibly be delivered, then that date comes and goes and TMC is alive with many, many complaints about "deadlines" being missed. I guess I have a different definition of what truly is a deadline, versus management speculation and hope.

It's also actually kind of nice not having the autopilot hardware, because I'm completely outside of any angst as to when the software enabling updates will be delivered. Or, that's how I rationalize it anyway.

So did I, but that does not stop me being irritated that Tesla is so far behind in a few easy areas. It would be nice to have the really simple things, like a visual of the front camera, already installed, and visual distance tags such as those used by most other expensive cars already.

I accept that the auto park my four year old BMW came with, will probably only be on my Tesla when the autopilot functions come. I accept that the partly crude/partly advanced TACC will probably only really be excellent when the rest of the autopilot package comes.

In sum, it seems to me we are all doing some beta testing. We all knew that when we bought. I am so happy with the car I see all that imperfection as very minor, and the excellent roadside service number has remotely fixed the only two glitches that were bothersome, both done on the air in minutes.

Still, as good beta testers should, whether formally declared as such or not, we should regularly report deficiencies and calmer for our particular preferences to be high on the priority list for Tesla.

Despite my last sentence the biggest priorities for me are all infrastructure, i.e., better service centre network, improved MIS at Tesla, and above all, more Supercharging to fill in gaps everywhere (that means worldwide to be fair, although I do have a list of urgent local preferences also).

Agree with every point you make 100%....and I am mildly irritated, but still love the car.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I've noticed all over TMC is Elon makes some hopeful comment about what's coming and when it might possibly be delivered, then that date comes and goes and TMC is alive with many, many complaints about "deadlines" being missed. I guess I have a different definition of what truly is a deadline, versus management speculation and hope.

It's also actually kind of nice not having the autopilot hardware, because I'm completely outside of any angst as to when the software enabling updates will be delivered. Or, that's how I rationalize it anyway.

After two years of listening to Elon, I have decided he is a very bad source for dates and features. Being in the bay area, their are better sources that tend to be more accurate.

As one of Elon's biggest fans (just ask my family and friends!) I agree with you, but also feel like sometimes Elon makes definitive statements about future features that are overly optimistic. I don't object to that because it's his job to raise expectations and push Tesla to achieve difficult goals. I just filter his statements.

As one of Elon's biggest fans (just ask my family and friends!) I agree with you, but also feel like sometimes Elon makes definitive statements about future features that are overly optimistic. I don't object to that because it's his job to raise expectations and push Tesla to achieve difficult goals. I just filter his statements. 

Yup, that's how I approach it too. Takes way less energy!

My dealer in the UK told me August and 2 weeks ago they took my order for autopilot on my 70 (which is to be delivered end August). No idea if they are just hoping and if it isn't there they might say "you'll get it over the air when available". If they do I shall be withholding some cash as my wife won't drive it without self park and I may need to swap cars some times for long work journeys.
Your wife can't park a car?