Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresno, California charging opportunities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
Until we receive a Supercharger in Fresno (only a rumor, but sensible) there are a few more places to charge for those heading here or through here:

The DMV at Olive and Golden State has a free L2 charger. ChargePoint membership is required. Olive is an exit off SR99. Not much to do around there other than DMV business. The Fresno Zoo is across Golden State Blvd.

Best Western on Shaw (north side of street) just east of Fresno Street has a HPWC, but it is dialed down to 40A. I visited there several months ago to plug in for 15 minutes to test it, and the manager said is was free for guests but $5 otherwise. Fashion Fair Mall is directly across the street from this Best Western.

Best Western near the Fresno Airport off Peach just south of McKinley. Convenient access from Freeway 168 and Freeway 180. Charge rate is 48A max. Free to guests; $3/hour for others.

I would not try to use the L2 chargers at the Air Pollution Control Board's parking lot or the ones near the airport at Schneider Electric or Grundfos Pumps.

The new installations are at Fresno State on Shaw Avenue about 2 miles east of Freeway 41 at Woodrow Avenue (north side of Shaw). There are four L2 chargers and two L3 CHAdeMO chargers. Parking lot PS2 on the west side of the SaveMart Center. It costs $1/hour to charge, and I assume that is per clock hour and not kilowatt-hour.

Finally, in downtown Fresno, four L2 stations opened at the Fresno Area Hispanic Foundation Business Hub at 1444 Fulton St. It looks like the stations are operated by NRG eV-Go, so I do not know what the fee structure is. The location is off SR99 at the corner of Stanislaus St. Downtown Fresno is not the greatest location for places to eat or things to do, but if all you need is 25 miles, you can walk around for 90 minutes before resuming your journey on 99.

Hope this helps any possible charging situations for out-of-towners!

Thanks for posting this. I grew up in Fresno, and still go back there from time to time. (Haven't yet had the opportunity to take my Model S there yet.)

Did the manager of the Best Western on Shaw/Fresno say anything about popularity of / contention for the HPWC?

I thought I saw on PlugShare where there are some chargers at Fashion Fair as well?

The manager just said that I was the first to use the HPWC. It had only been installed for about a week. I highly doubt that there will be a lot of contention for use as it is only 40A and not the most elegant of motels.

You are correct that Fashion Fair also has charging opportunities. However, I believe they are orchestrated by EVGO, and anecdotally they are not the most reliable or least expensive out there. Fresno State might be a better option as long as you are on Shaw Ave. I will check out the locations soon to see exactly where they are.

I took my S85D to Fresno this weekend (round-trip from the Bay Area, supercharged at Manteca both ways). The CHAdeMO chargers at Fresno State were a big FAIL for me...I couldn't get them to accept the required access codes (true for both the A and B chargers...a Leaf who arrived before me also reported failure with the A charger but was able to successfully charge on the B charger). The J1772 that I tried just for kicks worked, but was too slow for my purposes. I didn't see any payment mechanism for any of these chargers.

Then I tried the EVgo chargers at Fashion Fair. There's a CHAdeMO charger that wouldn't take my card, and a CHAdeMO + SAE combo charger that did. So I used my CHAdeMO adapter on that second charger to finally get a charge (just needed about 50 miles or so to give me a bit of margin to get back to Manteca, which I ended up not needing but oh well). Of course this was all in the afternoon in 106F degree heat. I hate Fresno in the summer. :-(

If Fashion Fair had not worked I would have done the Best Western across Shaw Avenue as Plan C.