Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Husband/Wife Key Fobs and driver profiles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Tesla allows different driver profiles to adjust seats, mirrors, etc. I have set up a profile for myself and for my wife.
Is there some way that the profile can be triggered with different key fobs?
I would like the profile to switch to my settings when I get in the car with "my" key fob and switch to my wife's profile when she gets into the car with "her" key fob.
Is this possible?

It gets confusing when you get in the car with your key fob, at the same time as your wife gets in the car with her key fob. (I drive my wife every morning). Which one will the car pick?
As others have said, it is not available yet.
Would be nice though.

It gets confusing when you get in the car with your key fob, at the same time as your wife gets in the car with her key fob. (I drive my wife every morning). Which one will the car pick?
I think you could address this by having on the car only change profiles if you unlock it by double-tapping the fob roof. If it self-unlocks due to proximity, I think you'd leave the profile alone. In any case I think you'd want to double-tap because it works from a greater distance, so the car could finish moving the seat and steering column around before you reach the door. It probably wouldn't be able to be done before you were ready to get in if you waited for proximity unlock.

I think you could address this by having on the car only change profiles if you unlock it by double-tapping the fob roof. If it self-unlocks due to proximity, I think you'd leave the profile alone. In any case I think you'd want to double-tap because it works from a greater distance, so the car could finish moving the seat and steering column around before you reach the door. It probably wouldn't be able to be done before you were ready to get in if you waited for proximity unlock.

Sounds like an interesting solution, and could work.

Would be nice though.
There are several options for determining "priority" when two fobs are present. This should not be a problem.

I don't think the car computer has access to the key ID, but I'd be happy if a double-tap on the roof of the fob (either fob) would make the car switch to a specific profile.

My wife can get into the car on my profile - not the other way around.

I don't think the car computer has access to the key ID, but I'd be happy if a double-tap on the roof of the fob (either fob) would make the car switch to a specific profile.

My wife can get into the car on my profile - not the other way around.
I don't know how the system works but I assume that each fob has a unique ID and that the car is programmed to recognize each individual fob. I'm sure there is also encryption of the ID during transmission so the car may decrypt it or just recognize a hash. So the car should be able to recognize different fobs.

I don't know how the system works but I assume that each fob has a unique ID and that the car is programmed to recognize each individual fob. I'm sure there is also encryption of the ID during transmission so the car may decrypt it or just recognize a hash. So the car should be able to recognize different fobs.

It depends on where they do the decryption. It's probably a black box to them.

I've build circuits before that take key fobs - most of the time you just deal with an off the shelve IC that takes care of all of the encryption & rolling codes etc. And in that case you don't always have access to know which fob gave you the code.

Sometimes you do - depending on which hardware you get, but if Tesla's fobs had ID capability, they would have most likely used it in some or other way by now.

My previous Cadillac worked very much like the Tesla, but it did tie the profile to the fob. It must have had antennas all over the car because it could tell fairly precisely where the fob was in relationship to the car. I did this once: walked up to the car, it detected the fob and opened the doors when I got close (just like Tesla) but for some reason, I pulled my keys out of my pocket and set them on the roof of the car before I got in. When I got in, the car came on, but wouldn't "start" because it saw the keys were outside of the cabin and warned me.

The way the profile seemed to work is that whichever fob was detected first on the driver's side of the car would be the one in effect. (It also had buttons on the door to manually select Profile 1 or 2, but I never had to use them). If my wife was driving, it would "see" her fob and adjust accordingly, even with me and my fob in the passenger seat. If we switched places after, say, a restaurant break, my profile would automatically be in place.

I'm not sure if Tesla has this kind of granularity in it's ability to spatially locate the fob.

Would be nice though.

keyfob detection, manual clicking the keyfob, weight sensor, machine learning/pattern recognition, user facing camera/face detection.

Lots of ways to do this.

They could just switch the profile depending on which fob the car saw first and which door opened first.
If the car sees fob A first and the driver door opens first, then switch to profile A.
If the car sees fob B first and the passenger door opens, then switch to profile A ( or leave the profile the way it was ).

I bet it would get it right most of the time.

Do any of you have a driver profile called EXIT?
This setting could be used for positioning the seat and car height (and perhaps steering wheel and mirrors) for easier exit and entry.

The concept of linking the fob to the profile is an excellent idea.
My previous Lexus and current Volvo have that capability NOW.

I'm not sure if Tesla has this kind of granularity in it's ability to spatially locate the fob.

I think they do at least have a decent idea of where it is. Try this. Open the driver's door all the way, with the car in park and not sitting in the seat. If the fob is inside the plane of where the door would be, the window switches work (for raising/lowering the windows). Move it outside the plane of the door, and the switches won't work anymore.

Tesla tech told me the window switches are activated by the fob being inside the cabin, and from my testing, I can confirm. I know you have an earlier car, my but previous VIN1653 also exhibited this behavior, so you can probably see it too.