Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal? Noise while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a week now and as soon as I drove it, something didn't feel right. It is very hard to describe it. I want to say wind noise or possibly tire noise. It happens even at low speeds (15mph and up). At first I thought it was the bass from the music. The best I can describe it is the feeling you get when one window is down and the rest are not, that kinda thumping sound? Or when you are in a sealed vacuum and a little air gets in?

I tried to listen/feel around the car but I don't really see or feel wind noise. Maybe it is just the tires? Any help is appreciated.

I believe this happens when the trunk stoppers aren’t properly adjusted. This lets the liftgate bounce slightly, breaking the seal between the lid and the body of the car and letting air in.

A forum user had a similar problem with his Model S. He posted a video describing the problem and what was done to fix it.

Tesla Motors Model S: Part 33 of Many! Problems Resolved - YouTube

Skip to about 4:45 to get to the liftgate part.

Last edited:
I believe this happens when the trunk stoppers aren’t properly adjusted. This lets the liftgate bounce slightly, breaking the seal between the lid and the body of the car and letting air in.

A forum user had a similar problem with his Model S. He posted a video describing the problem and what was done to fix it.

Tesla Motors Model S: Part 33 of Many! Problems Resolved - YouTube

Skip to about 4:45 to get to the liftgate part.

Thank you so much for that! You are awesome! I just tried this and I think it at least helped! My spacers were all the way down so I moved it up like the video said. I took it for a short spin around the neighborhood. I couldn't go to far as I'm "working".

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the lane departure warning, is it?

Lane Departure warning? LOL

I've had my car for a week now and as soon as I drove it, something didn't feel right. It is very hard to describe it. I want to say wind noise or possibly tire noise. It happens even at low speeds (15mph and up). At first I thought it was the bass from the music. The best I can describe it is the feeling you get when one window is down and the rest are not, that kinda thumping sound? Or when you are in a sealed vacuum and a little air gets in?

I tried to listen/feel around the car but I don't really see or feel wind noise. Maybe it is just the tires? Any help is appreciated.

I know exactly the effect that you're talking about. It's a low frequency air pressure oscillation. I've had it on another car with one window open. I've had this on occasion on the Tesla with all of the windows up, but but never often enough that it's been an issue. If it's a real annoyance I'd suggest taking it to the dealer because certainly it's not continuous thing on my car.

I know exactly the effect that you're talking about. It's a low frequency air pressure oscillation. I've had it on another car with one window open. I've had this on occasion on the Tesla with all of the windows up, but but never often enough that it's been an issue. If it's a real annoyance I'd suggest taking it to the dealer because certainly it's not continuous thing on my car.

Yes that is it. It is continuous for me and it is not a major issue but I don't think I have heard it in the demo car I drove. I am taking the car in next week, I will have them take a look. I will share with you what they find if anything.

I tried the trunk spacer but I don't think it totally fixed the issue. It is helping a little.

Yes that is it. It is continuous for me and it is not a major issue but I don't think I have heard it in the demo car I drove. I am taking the car in next week, I will have them take a look. I will share with you what they find if anything.

I tried the trunk spacer but I don't think it totally fixed the issue. It is helping a little.

Exact same issue with me and adjusting the spacer helped, but just a little. But for me it's a major issue: drives me nuts but nobody else feels it :(

Have you taken it in?

I have an appointment in June but they could not detect anything the last time I sent it in. My wife is also oblivious to this issue :( I, however can feel this slight pulsing pressure in my ear which is in sync with the road surface imperfections. Cracking open a window does not help but playing music keeps my brain distracted enough to not go crazy.

There are FOUR stoppers, not TWO! I had no idea the ones on the frame were adjustable! I had this problem and adjusted the stoppers on the liftgate. One of them was not making contact with the car at all, was turned all the way in. This fixed the issue most of the way. BUT until today, I had no idea those other two stoppers (in the video) on the frame that the liftgate closes into were adjustable. Mine were turned all the way in. I set them out a small amount and will play with it.

For the stoppers on the liftgate itself, I found that closing the liftgate on a thin slip of paper and then trying to pull it out will determine if the stopper is making good contact with the frame.

20150514_180929.jpg

Last edited:
I did the "paper test" and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much. The car is now perfect!

There are FOUR stoppers, not TWO! I had no idea the ones on the frame were adjustable! I had this problem and adjusted the stoppers on the liftgate. One of them was not making contact with the car at all, was turned all the way in. This fixed the issue most of the way. BUT until today, I had no idea those other two stoppers (in the video) on the frame that the liftgate closes into were adjustable. Mine were turned all the way in. I set them out a small amount and will play with it.

For the stoppers on the liftgate itself, I found that closing the liftgate on a thin slip of paper and then trying to pull it out will determine if the stopper is making good contact with the frame.

View attachment 81058