Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Install: How Long Did Yours Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm kind of new to all this (just took delivery of my S85 on Saturday), but I'm having a boatload of problems trying to get my home charger (The Tesla Wall Connector) installed.

Actually, the installer isn't the problem. He's been great, but we can't get any movement from SCE at all. After two weeks of waiting, I finally got them to give me the phone number for the planning office in my area, where I talked to someone who gave me the name and phone numbers for my assigned planner.

But all I ever get from him (and subsequent calls to the planning office) are voicemails and no return calls.

Its not like I can just write them off and go to their competition.....

How long did it take for you? Any tricks of the trade you'd like to share? Even my electrician has tried calling him a few times with no success.

thanks.

-bill.

Your situation sounds unusual. The only reason to involve a SCE planner is that you need to upgrade your service, meaning the connection from your meter to the "pole". IMHO, if you are feeling the pain of utility delays, then you should just get a permit for the install without the service upgrade. Even a 20A 240V connection would be useful in the interim and would almost certainly be possible on your existing service. Have the electrician pull the wire that you will eventually need, but install a small breaker and low rated outlet for temporary use. If you don't want to use an outlet and the Mobile Connector, set the Wall Connector to the minimum amperage and install a matching breaker in your existing panel. That should be workable until you can get the service upgraded.

After scheduling an appointment with my electrician, the actual install took about 3 hours and 2 guys. They needed to add another 100A breaker box and run the wire to the other side of the garage, where I wanted my charger.

You may need to get permits from the city to get your charger installed. For mine, the city gave me a permit, and then had an inspector come by and check the next day.

Hopefully your fuse box has enough left to add another circuit for the wall charger.

Mine took me probably 6 hours to install, maybe more, but this was for a 100 amp sub panel 30' away with two 14-50 outlets, one on each side of the garage. I wanted no visible conduit which made it take longer but looks really pretty.