Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Rear Seats Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I ordered my MS85D a couple of months ago with an August delivery date when the Next Gen front and rear seats were available. I got a call from Tesla stating that I have the option of keeping the Next Gen front and rear seats like I ordered or just keeping the front seats and getting the difference in price adjusted.

They mentioned that they received a lot of feedback from customers (less visibility because of the higher head rests, not being able to lay the seats flat because of the added bolsters in the seats, etc) and have removed the rear seats from the order page.

Just wanted to get the opinion of owners that have the Next Gen rear seats. How do you like them? Are they comfortable? How do they compare with the regular rear seats? Do you have any issues with the visibility in the rear window or laying the seat flat? Any other comments?

Thanks for any input! Looking forward to posting more when I pick up my MS85D from the factory.

- DJ

The visibility will be the same regardless. You will either get Next Gen/2.0 seats, or revised first gen/1.5 seats. Both have the same heigh headrests. The next gen rears will sit maybe one inch and one degree higher than 1.5 seats, barely noticeable. Now, if you decide you want to save $1k, child seats (I hear) are easier to maneuver in and out with 1.5 seats b/c of he lack of side bolstering and at my local store, the 1.5 seats don't look out of place with next gen fronts. I meant, if you look closely at the stitching, you will see the difference, but in general, the matched leather and headrest style between front and back means you won't usually notice they have different stitch patterns. I hope this helps!

The visibility will be the same regardless. You will either get Next Gen/2.0 seats, or revised first gen/1.5 seats. Both have the same heigh headrests. The next gen rears will sit maybe one inch and one degree higher than 1.5 seats, barely noticeable. Now, if you decide you want to save $1k, child seats (I hear) are easier to maneuver in and out with 1.5 seats b/c of he lack of side bolstering and at my local store, the 1.5 seats don't look out of place with next gen fronts. I meant, if you look closely at the stitching, you will see the difference, but in general, the matched leather and headrest style between front and back means you won't usually notice they have different stitch patterns. I hope this helps!
Agree on your points but supposing you have OCD on things like matching stitching? I gave up my confirmed matching next-gen rear seats as a requirement to get the new exterior colo(u)r I wanted, titanium (aka as metallic dirt if you are not a fan). The "monthly price book" all-or-nothing dictate made this obligatory if any form of configuration change was made.

I'm still happy and appreciative to get a lighter colour that is not white, so all is good. But I'll always know the rear seats are not perfect-an aberration unrelated to the fact I will never sit there.

Agree on your points but supposing you have OCD on things like matching stitching? I gave up my confirmed matching next-gen rear seats as a requirement to get the new exterior colo(u)r I wanted, titanium (aka as metallic dirt if you are not a fan). The "monthly price book" all-or-nothing dictate made this obligatory if any form of configuration change was made.

I'm still happy and appreciative to get a lighter colour that is not white, so all is good. But I'll always know the rear seats are not perfect-an aberration unrelated to the fact I will never sit there.

Just imagine how it would bother you if the headrest were a different shape or the headrests had different stitching. That would mock you in the mirror al the time. ;)

I was very unhappy with the visual aspects of the next gen seats; I didn't like the idea of having two different stitching patterns and I didn't like the giant middle headrest. My solution: old gen + executive rear seats. My justification: I'm not ordering a P85D so I will not be corning at just under 1g, the old gens are already improved, the stitching matches the executive rears, the old gens are more spacious, better visibility. YMMV.

Personally, I have held off on upgrading my P85 to a P85D in part because the design on the Next Gen front seats is completely different from the back seats now. I can't imagine they will leave it this way for long on a $130K car. So I keep watching, waiting for the next update when they change their minds again, hoping the car eventually comes with matching back seats instead of a Mickey Mouse mixture.

Nextgen rears are complete worth it if you have the option. They look great and the visibility/folding issues are overblown. I would be very upset if I only had nextgens upfront as the old rears just have a completely different look.

Just got mine installed yesterday. Visibility back isn't great for sure, but I don't know that it's much worse than the regular ones. They look great. No regrets.

Before our order was confirmed, we sat in cars with both next gen and regular seats. The visibility with next gen seats in the rear was significantly worse than the regular seats. We also didn't like the way the rear next gen seats looked. The front next gen seats were a different story. They looked better and were a lot more comfortable. Our wish was to have next gen seats front and regular seats rear but that wasn't an option when we ordered. Fortunately our car was delivered that way and we're waiting for our $1000 refund which is just a little late but I'm sure it will get here :)

This topic is very personal to me. I have had my S85 for 26 months and am ready to upgrade to the 85D. My only holdup is the rear seats. I have sat in and checked out the Next Gen Rear Seats. The are light-years ahead of the standard seats. I will not upgrade until the Rear Next Gen seats come back as a option. If I had not checked them out at the Mall, I would never have known how awesome they are.

I am asking for people who have them, or are curious about them, to call Tesla and plead for them to bring back the REAR NEXT GEN SEATS as a option.

If enough people call, they might bring them back. Please, Please, Please, Tesla bring back the REAR NEXT GEN SEATS!!!