Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Rapids, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timf

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
(mod note: split from Michigan Supercharger Locations)
There is also the Meijer right off I-96 at 5531 28th St SE, Grand Rapids. I believe the likelihood of this location would be high as well due to it's proximity to I-96 and with eating establishments near by.
Thanks so much for pointing out that location. This is in fact the location of the Supercharger, as a permit was issued on 3/16/2015 for a TESLA CHARGING STATION.

https://www.accessmygov.com/CD_PropertySearchDetails/PropertyRecordDetails?RecordKey=63a98ab7-2e6a-4628-88de-a45d00e7a203&RecordKeyType=4&uid=179

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove through the Saline Meijer parking lot yesterday and there is major construction going on at the west side of that parking lot. Google Earth shows grass but there are several new small stores already built with more on the way. The only thing currently looking like Tesla Supercharger equipment was the grey conduit piled up but not buried yet. I'll swing through Friday morning and take some pictures. I may also be around the 28th street Meijer Friday afternoon to look around. Exciting!

I drove through the Grand Rapids Meijer location this evening and couldn't see any signs that construction had begun; however, it was dark so it's possible I may have missed it.

It will take some time to get the equipment. We had to order a 150 KVA power transformer for our HPWC installation and it took 6 weeks to be delivered. The Supercharger install is going to require a lot more and bigger equipment so we may be waiting for a while yet. Good to know it is in process though.

Swung by the 28th Street Meijer on my way home. Construction has begun....
20150521_162316.jpg

I'm surprised they're constructing all-new parking spots instead of putting them along the east side where there are already spots that back up to grass. If you look at Google Maps, they appear to be just north of the Macaroni Grill where there used to be a cluster of 4 trees.

I'm surprised they're constructing all-new parking spots instead of putting them along the east side where there are already spots that back up to grass. If you look at Google Maps, they appear to be just north of the Macaroni Grill where there used to be a cluster of 4 trees.

It may be that if they designate a number of parking spots as Tesla charging only spots it could bring the parking spot count below what is required for zoning purposes. I believe this scuttled the original planned location for the Coeur d'Alene supercharger.

It may be that if they designate a number of parking spots as Tesla charging only spots it could bring the parking spot count below what is required for zoning purposes. I believe this scuttled the original planned location for the Coeur d'Alene supercharger.

Exactly!

Many Planning/Building Departments do not let you count dedicated EV Charging spots in the required parking for a site.

I will try as well. I travel a fair amount so am not always in Grand Rapids, but I will definitely swing by periodically to see what is going on. @charperimg - I have always been able to upload more than one photo by doing one at a time in the same posting.

Just picked up the Michigan thread and noticed this posting. Cool - I live 4-5 miles North of this location and can stop in next week and snap a picture.

I've been on the fence to get a 85/p85 for 2 years only because of charging stations in Michigan. I have a customer 1/2 mile off the St. Joseph station and noticed that one (had to be 1 to 1.5 years ago). In sales and do a ton of driving around the state. Easily 2-4 monthly trips to greater Detroit area from GR and until a charging station is East of Lansing the range anxiety is my only issue with my driving habit(75-80 mph driver) cold weather / heat / lot of evening and early morning driving would not get the ideal range out of the vehicle but having a station in GR and east of Lansing area, would fix that.

Ted
typed on iPhone sorry for any typos

I too have been holding off a CPO purchase due to the need for at least a couple more Supercharger locations in Michigan. I am located just south of Lansing and make regular trips to the Port Huron area so one located near I-69 near Flint would help for both West to East travel, as well as, North to South trips. I have noted one is shown near Port Huron later this year or early next year. This would also help for travel into and out Canada.

Just picked up the Michigan thread and noticed this posting. Cool - I live 4-5 miles North of this location and can stop in next week and snap a picture.

I've been on the fence to get a 85/p85 for 2 years only because of charging stations in Michigan. I have a customer 1/2 mile off the St. Joseph station and noticed that one (had to be 1 to 1.5 years ago). In sales and do a ton of driving around the state. Easily 2-4 monthly trips to greater Detroit area from GR and until a charging station is East of Lansing the range anxiety is my only issue with my driving habit(75-80 mph driver) cold weather / heat / lot of evening and early morning driving would not get the ideal range out of the vehicle but having a station in GR and east of Lansing area, would fix that.

Ted
typed on iPhone sorry for any typos

I too have been holding off a CPO purchase due to the need for at least a couple more Supercharger locations in Michigan. I am located just south of Lansing and make regular trips to the Port Huron area so one located near I-69 near Flint would help for both West to East travel, as well as, North to South trips. I have noted one is shown near Port Huron later this year or early next year. This would also help for travel into and out Canada.

The current plan is:
2015: Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Cadillac
2016: Lansing, Port Huron, Bay City, Fire Keepers (or somewhere close), potentially Gaylord, and Traverse City