Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers in western Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it would make sense to make a new thread to track any news/rumors of SuperChargers being planned/built along I-81 in the western part of Virginia (the thread for SuperChargers in Virginia is getting pretty long and covers the whole state). I know there was some video taken at the TyCo Service Center where there was discussion of 3 different SuperChargers near/along I-81. Has anyone heard any news lately?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the SuperCharger Map @ Teslarati, it looks like the SC in Knoxville is under construction. I hope that means the focus is on getting our interstate corridor next. One can hope!

They still appear in the 2015 map. The Norfolk one is listed as "Coming Soon" but not the others. The map is pretty low rez, so its difficult to say for sure where they are indicating. I believe that it indicates 5 Supercharges on I-81 in Virginia and one on I-64. The one on I-64 looks to me to be to lie well to the east of the green indicating the the National Park, so I'm going to call that one Charlottesville, which would be a sensible place to put one, lots of good potential locations there.

Working from the south, the first one is at the state line, making it Bristol or Abingdon. I've seen Abingdon on other threads, but it looks more like Bristol to me, which I guess might make it an unsuitable location for this thread. I'm pretty sure the next one north has to be Wytheville because you can see I-71 indicated by a yellow line and it is just west of the line where I-71 crosses I-81. That would also link up well with Burlington, NC at about 150 miles. The next one north is also pretty clearly in Lexington near the I-64/I-81 intersection. The weird thing is that there also really looks like there is one planned for Staunton at the other I-64/I-81 intersection, which makes no sense to me at all. It would be about 40 miles from the Lexington location in one direction and another 40 miles from Charlottesville in another. Harrisonburg would seem to be a much more sensible location to me, but the map sure looks like Staunton. There are fewer visible cues to the northermost location, but I'd guess it would be at the I-66/I-81 intersection (probably off Old Valley Pike in Strasburg).

Here's a blow up of the map section in question:
2015blow.PNG

Attachments

• 2015.PNG
    2015.PNG
    53.6 KB · Views: 531
Here you go:
VirginiaSuperchargers.jpg

Not perfect, but good enough. Looks like:
1. One near Abingdon on I-81.
2. One east of Wytheville, at I-81/I-77 intersection.
3. One in Lexington area, at I-64/I-81 intersection.
4. One just north of Staunton on I-81.
5. Middletown.
6. Just east of Charlottesville (yay!)
7. Woodbridge.
8. Glen Allen.
9. Norfolk.
10. South Hill.
11. Salisbury.

The image is larger than displayed here. I think you can right-click to download and view on your local computer in full size if desired.

I really don't understand why they would want to put one in Staunton if they have one in Charlottesville. I'd rather see one around Farmville (not on an interstate), but on a route that many take to the beach (460).
Here you go:
View attachment 81138

Not perfect, but good enough. Looks like:
1. One near Abingdon on I-81.
2. One east of Wytheville, at I-81/I-77 intersection.
3. One in Lexington area, at I-64/I-81 intersection.
4. One just north of Staunton on I-81.
5. Middletown.
6. Just east of Charlottesville (yay!)
7. Woodbridge.
8. Glen Allen.
9. Norfolk.
10. South Hill.
11. Salisbury.

The image is larger than displayed here. I think you can right-click to download and view on your local computer in full size if desired.

Strasburg SC is now under construction. Drove by there today.

OUTSTANDING! Does anyone know if they typically advertise an opening date or do they quietly flip the switch?

Also, until I-81 fills in, Staunton opened a DC Charger in March (needs Chademo): S New St & E Johnson St, Staunton, VA 24401 http://goo.gl/maps/X8kIr. It is off I-81 Exit 222 head west into Downtown Staunton. Lots to do/see/eat to pass time.

Strasburg is under construction but the official Tesla supercharger map still doesn't have it pinned as "coming soon". If I drive by again soon I will update with a photo. Heading to DC soon and will have to go via Charlottesville (several destination HPWCs) and Woodbridge.

I'll be in Charlottesville this Monday - Wednesday, if I have some time, I'll try to
scout out" the destination chargers downtown.
Strasburg is under construction but the official Tesla supercharger map still doesn't have it pinned as "coming soon". If I drive by again soon I will update with a photo. Heading to DC soon and will have to go via Charlottesville (several destination HPWCs) and Woodbridge.

Watcha doin' in Cville, swengl? I'll be out of town, but otherwise would love to meet you for coffee. Here's a little summary on the chargers I've used in and around Cville: (Pls use plugshare for directions)

1) Cville Downtown Mall- Pay for parking, but free HPWC (up to 100amps) at the lot off Water Street behind the bank. Great place to charge and roam/eat/dally. Lots to do.
2) Hyatt Place at Stonefield- Clipper Creek HPWC advertised for guests only, but was able to park and charge at 21-22mph. Can walk to shops/food/movie theater, etc.
3) Sigora Solar in Waynesboro- Free J1772. Not much around, bring a magazine. Take a nap. A long nap.
4) The Iris Inn is a destination charge BnB off Exit 96. - HPWC for patrons only, but very friendly folks. They'll probably let you charge if in a bind, but if you are close to the Iris Inn, and need emergency charge, I live a mile away and have a NEMA 14-50 outside my garage. Contact me. I won't sic the dog on the stranger with the nice car in the driveway.

Other options in Cville, but I haven't used personally:
1) Homewood Suites on 29N- now has Chademo! Hotel's owned by a friend of mine with a P85, been meaning to visit.
2) Nissan dealership on 29N now also has Chademo. (Go Cville)
3) If at UVA, Central Garage has a J1772, but have to pay for parking and small fee for charging. Max 4hrs.
4) Downtown Staunton has a Chademo as well. $$

Also lots of options in Cville for destination charging: Oakhurst Inn, Clifton Inn, Keswick, Foxfield Inn and two hotels above. So promising to see infrastructure.

I'm taking a trip next week to Boyce staying with some girlfriends at a destination Charger BnB up there, and in August, a late night trip coming from work (Harrisonburg) to Arlington. Sure keeping my fingers crossed for Strasburg to go online soon. I will take pics if I drive through there next week.

Happy trails!