Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying CPO- P85+ vs 85s range diffrence ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KrPG

May 13, 2015
Herning
Hey!
Is there a range diffrence between P85+ and 85s ?? Extra power and improved handling are very tempting but since I would be traveling few times per year to areas where commercial EV chargers aren't available that extra range might decide do I can get to my destination.

Hey!
Is there a range diffrence between P85+ and 85s ?? Extra power and improved handling are very tempting but since I would be traveling few times per year to areas where commercial EV chargers aren't available that extra range might decide do I can get to my destination.

The only difference is 3% less range if you have the 21" high performance tires vs. the 19" low rolling resistance ones.

The only difference is 3% less range if you have the 21" high performance tires vs. the 19" low rolling resistance ones.

That's awsome news for me ! One more thing I did read somewhere that P85+ have wider rear wheels?? Which in my understanding would not allow me to rotate them with front wheels for equal tire usage?

That's awsome news for me ! One more thing I did read somewhere that P85+ have wider rear wheels?? Which in my understanding would not allow me to rotate them with front wheels for equal tire usage?
Correct, rear tires on the p85+ are wider than fronts.
However there's no performance benefit of the plus package, the + was a suspension and wider tires package

@AMPd is absoulutely correct. The "+" is suspension and wider 265s in the rear with 245s in the front. But for a rear wheel drive that makes a huge difference in overall handling and better stability under high acceleration. As noted, range is determined by the wheel size, which also factors in the "sticky tire" resistance of the Michelins or Contis on the 21s. If you want range, the S85 is slightly better. But consider the differences in managing traction and stability in a RWD powerhouse that a + brings.

@T Good point, ride is always and important consideration. The biggest factors I have "felt" have been air vs. coils and 21s vs. 19s. The + suspension i don't think plays that big of a factor. Heck my girlfriend's 91 year old Mom on Mothers Day complimented my P85+ as having a comfortable ride. Who would have thought coming from a non-Tesla person! And I have air and 21s!

What about winter tires in P85+ do You guys use 19" or still 21"? If 19" do the rear tires have to be widther as well?

Everyone I know that has winter tires goes ahead and uses a second set of wheels. In that case, I would use non-staggered 19". But, it is possible to use the same wheels and have them remounted each year. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences. I am far enough South in NC that I don't plan on doing winter tires.