Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 85D worth the additional $10k over the 70D?

Is the 85D worth the $10,000 upgrade from the 70D?

• Yes; the 85D upgrade is worth every penny

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • No; the 85D is not worth the extra cost

Votes: 48 33.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to hear from 70D and 85D owners here. I'm ordering in 10 days and I think I'm willing to give up the SAS for the 85D (to stay within my wife's price range).

If it was only the additional performance for $10k - I'd say it wasn't worth it.
If it was only the additional range for $10k - I'd say it wasn't worth it.

But, it's BOTH performance and range. Love to hear your thoughts. :confused:

Isn't that a personal preference sort of thing, is it worth it to YOU?

For me? It wasn't worth it.
Performance: The 70D has a little more HP than my current car, and it's in range with the types of cars I was looking it. Someone had a great analogy in another thread: If you're coming from a high end german car, the 70D will seem underpowered. If you're coming from a "regular" car, the 70D will feel perfectly fine.
Range: For $10k, we can take my wife's ICE SUV, and over 8-10 years of planned ownership still come out ahead paying for gas in the SUV.

I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have.

Here are my nice to have:
1) Premium package. (Really just for the power lift gate. The other stuff I really don't care for) --- $3000
2) 19 cyclone rims (supposedly increase the range slightly according to Tesla. Others have said it doesn't really matter) --- $2500
3) Air Suspension (to reduce road noise as some here has mentioned. Range increase on HWY is moot) --- $2500
4) Panoramic roof (I just like to have as much natural lighting as possible) --- $1500
5) Blue Color (personal color preference, would also be fine with a white) ---$1000

All these adds up to $10.5K which I can put towards a bare minimum S85D which has:
1) More performance
2) More range
3) Probably faster supercharging capability

CPO cars are not really in the running because I rather have AWD and new.

My ultimate goal is to get max range with minimum cost and maintenance. If this is the case, most would easily recommend get the bare minimum 70D and be done with it, but I rather pay a little more for the extras. This will be my car for the next decade or so and I would much rather have something nice to last me through the decade. : )

Last edited:
70D wasn't available when i ordered in March. I might have gone that way. In retrospect im glad i didn't. Made a trip to socal this last weekend and the leg between Harris Ranch and Manteca was tight.

The percentage of charge calculated from Harris to Manteca left me with 15 miles of rated range left at Manteca due to headwinds and 90 degree plus temps and range mode on which reduced AC and driving 65mph with the trucks.

I would have never made it in a 70D with out a way longer charge time. Harris Ranch was having problems with 2 chargers anyway so we had to wait for an open bay.

I charged to 170 rated miles with the segment being around 134 miles.

On the 70D pack the taper is going to make you wait longer at superchargers to get the same level.

For me, it is not worth it. But then, my CPO is an S85 and I had the option of getting a P85 for less than $10k. I didn't since I'm not a performance oriented person. Yes, I love Tesla performance, but the 70D (or my 85) is leaps and bounds above where I would enjoy. As for range, nowhere I go made a difference for 20-25 miles. Either I needed to stop for a charge in the 85D anyway, or I don't need to stop even with a 70D. Thus, the 70D is how I would roll if buying new/inventory today.

I agree it's impossible to have an objective answer to that questions with the million of variables in each person's situation.

For me the 70D was perfect. I'm a Volt owner and love my Volt but wanted something just a tad nicer for my daily commute. My wife drives a Q7 TDI which we take on long trips (and with the diesel engine, the Q7's range is amazing). I have a weekend fun, fast car...so performance was not something very high on my list of wants.

For me, it was in this order:

1. AWD
2. Baseline range >200 miles especially with decreases in cold (my daily commute may be up to 100 miles/day but usually more like 50-60 miles/day)
3. Autopilot

Plus, the 70D gave me the green light to upgrade to the next-gen seats, sound system, pano roof, blue paint, premium package, subzero package.

For long trips, we'll use my wife's Q7. For fun motoring, I'll drive my fun car. For my daily commute come rain, sleet, snow, or sunshine: my Tesla Model S 70D :smile:

I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have

1) Premium package. (Really just for the power lift gate. The other stuff I really don't care for) --- $300
2) 19 cyclone rims (supposedly increase the range slightly according to Tesla. Others have said it doesn't really matter) --- $2500
3) Air Suspension (to reduce road noise as some here has mentioned. Range increase on HWY is moot) --- $2500
4) Panoramic roof (I just like to have as much natural lighting as possible) --- $1500
5) Blue Color (personal color preference, would also be fine with a white) ---$1000

All these adds up to $10.5K which I can put towards a bare minimum S85D which has:
1) More performance
2) More range

My ultimate goal is to get max range with minimum cost and maintenance. If this is the case, most would easily recommend get the bare minimum 70D and be done with it, but I rather pay a little more for the extras. This will be my car for the next decade or so and I would much rather have something nice to last me through the decade. : )

For me
1. Air was a requirement, my driveway was is steep and i needed the height, My BMW would scrape unless I went real slow and at an angle.
2. Wheels, I thought were over priced I picked the standard ones and had them powered coated black for 700.00 locally.
3. Power lift gate is nice when I ordered it was included in the tech package.
4. Pano roof , wasnt sure but went ahead and got it I thought the sun might too much through it. But thats not the case and def worth it now since its 1500. it was 2500 when i ordered.

For me, range is what counts. I'm in an area where charge points are few and far between and the Supercharger network isn't really built out. My order was in when the 70D was announced and I certainly felt a few moments of uncertainty when I pondered the potential price savings! However, the additional range will make some trips feasible that wouldn't be with the 70D... it's just that tight. So I left my order as it was and just try not to think about this too much... :redface:

For my needs I do not care about the acceleration (any Model S is fast enough) so the only difference is the additional 15kWh in the battery; assuming I understand it correctly. $10K for the 15kWh seems really high; seems like 15kWh should be more like $5K or $6K. I would really like 275 mi. real range. I hope to order in Q1 2016 so perhaps the 85D will become the 95D by then.

Yes: range.

Range is king. The more the better.

Range = convenience.

What's your price for convenience? is the question

Great way to put it. But added to that, it is about what % of time you need that convenience. I like many others I'm sure drive 99% of the time under like 50 miles in a whole day. My work commute is round trip 10 miles and at most I run another 50 miles in a day or so on occasion to a suburb. Rarely take road trips but sure I'll try to find some reasons more often once take delivery...

As an 85D owner, I voted No but the caveat is really range. My 85D came with 70D performance specs before it was upgraded and there was never a moment I felt I wish it had more performance. With the software update, it's much quicker but I don't really need that kind of performance in day to day driving. Even the range is something I haven't fully utilized yet and haven't done full 100% charge even once in the 2 months of ownership. So the only question you have to ask yourself is if 10k is worth the extra range. If I were buying today, I'd put that extra 10k in more upgrades or just not spend it.

As a new owner of an 85D, I would echo range is king. I've owned mine for 5 days and 2 of those 5 days I've put 200 miles on. Through the middle of PA with no good chargers. Could I have made it with a 70D? Maybe if I was real careful and charged up 100% before hand. Does my wife have her Acrua MDX still? Yes. But the last thing I want to hear is "You just spent all that on your new car and we can't even take it on tip X and we have to take my car?" I wanted something I could take "everywhere", and having that extra range buffer, for me was a necessity.

I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have.

1) Premium package. (Really just for the power lift gate. The other stuff I really don't care for) --- $3000

1) More performance
2) More range

I think a lot of folks looking at CPO cars are forgetting about the $7,500 tax credit. That needs to be just added onto the price of the CPO car or deducted from the new one!

- - - Updated - - -

As a new owner of an 85D, I would echo range is king. I've owned mine for 5 days and 2 of those 5 days I've put 200 miles on. Through the middle of PA with no good chargers. Could I have made it with a 70D? Maybe if I was real careful and charged up 100% before hand. Does my wife have her Acrua MDX still? Yes. But the last thing I want to hear is "You just spent all that on your new car and we can't even take it on tip X and we have to take my car?" I wanted something I could take "everywhere", and having that extra range buffer, for me was a necessity.

I'm in Florida and the SCs are triangulated around me just about 100 miles in all 3 directions. We are covered VERY well here in Florida - plus, I think many Tesla owners are forgetting (or are spoiled) that you can charge at the public charging stations, L2s! They are also being added each day. I've made very good use of public charging with my Volt and put over 100 miles of electric on it in a single day by charging throughout the day.

- - - Updated - - -

As an 85D owner, I voted No but the caveat is really range. My 85D came with 70D performance specs before it was upgraded and there was never a moment I felt I wish it had more performance. With the software update, it's much quicker but I don't really need that kind of performance in day to day driving. Even the range is something I haven't fully utilized yet and haven't done full 100% charge even once in the 2 months of ownership. So the only question you have to ask yourself is if 10k is worth the extra range. If I were buying today, I'd put that extra 10k in more upgrades or just not spend it.

Caps04, I love your post. Range is more important (in my book) than performance. But, isn't it nice to have both!? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great way to put it. But added to that, it is about what % of time you need that convenience. I like many others I'm sure drive 99% of the time under like 50 miles in a whole day. My work commute is round trip 10 miles and at most I run another 50 miles in a day or so on occasion to a suburb. Rarely take road trips but sure I'll try to find some reasons more often once take delivery...

Travwill, you make a good point and I guess it gets back to the overall subjectivity of the OP: this is a personal decision based on your driving habits, SC availability/spacing, and preference!

I agree it's impossible to have an objective answer to that questions with the million of variables in each person's situation.

For me the 70D was perfect. I'm a Volt owner and love my Volt but wanted something just a tad nicer for my daily commute. My wife drives a Q7 TDI which we take on long trips (and with the diesel engine, the Q7's range is amazing). I have a weekend fun, fast car...so performance was not something very high on my list of wants.

For me, it was in this order:

1. AWD
2. Baseline range >200 miles especially with decreases in cold (my daily commute may be up to 100 miles/day but usually more like 50-60 miles/day)
3. Autopilot

Plus, the 70D gave me the green light to upgrade to the next-gen seats, sound system, pano roof, blue paint, premium package, subzero package.

For long trips, we'll use my wife's Q7. For fun motoring, I'll drive my fun car. For my daily commute come rain, sleet, snow, or sunshine: my Tesla Model S 70D :smile:

I love my Volt too! :) And I'm with you on the ability to upgrade the other options. I will probably opt for the 70D so I can get Opti-Coat, an HPWC at home, windows tinted, center console, and of course EVERY option you listed above, alin3! :)

For an extra $10,000 I see it as:
- extra range EPA estimate: 270 versus 240
- extra performance 0-60: 4.4 versus 5.2
- higher top speed: 155 versus 140
- faster supercharging (likely but not proven)
- better resale (likely but not proven)

...and looking at the P85D, for an extra $20,000
- extra performance 0-60: 3.1 versus 4.4
- inferior range: 253 versus 270

So to me the P85D wasn't good enough value.

I had to vote against my wishes . . . . equal value. Now if the poll showed non dual 85, I'd go for that ... as for us, it's range. But yea, it'd be nice to have a couple more poll options.

hill, I fear the end is near for the S85. Because of this, I didn't put it in the poll, and I'm no longer considering it.

I hear you on range though for the S85 (and frunk space for that matter). But to penalize performance (70D faster than S85) when you're shelling out an additional $5k doesn't seem right to me.