Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC to Watkins Glen Ny?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions how how to get from NYC to Watkins Glen NY? I don't see any superchargers listed on the way. I'll be traveling with two small children, so if there were a regular charging station someplace fun for kids, that'd help. Thanks!

There's very few genuinely good choices, and both are in Binghamton. Ithaca is supposed to get a Chademo soon, but it doesn't exist yet. I *strongly* suggest hypermiling, in case you have any problems with the Binghamton sites.

Plugshare.com is the place to look for "regular charging stations" -- there's almost nothing of decent speed, it's nearly all 30 amp.

There's a Tesla HPWC in Binghamton at the Doubletree; this is your best bet. But it's been broken sometimes.
There's also an HPWC at Scottech in Binghamton, which is your second-best bet.

I hope you have someplace to plug in overnight at Watkins Glen.

If you have dual chargers in your car, ScottTech will yield you a faster charge rate than the DoubleTree (they have theirs dialed back to 60A if I'm not mistaking). Also, I've heard through a friend that the double tree in Binghamton, the hpwc may not be a accessible because the garage that it was in had a partial collapse this winter. Can someone verify?

Last edited:
Stimyg, What do you mean, "no great options"?! That HPWC at ScotTech is an 80 amp HPWC available 24/7 for free, and someone just checked in with a successful charge there 4 days ago. That's about the best you are going to possibly find anywhere in the absence of a Supercharger.

Putting that route into Evtripplanner, it looks about doable on one charge of an 85, but it would be a bit tight. So that means that you wouldn't need that much of a charging stop along the way to give yourself a little buffer--less than an hour. I tend to prioritize looking for charging in this order based on power level:
(1) Supercharger obviously, but there aren't any.
(2) CHAdeMO, but a lot of those are broken or flaky or at dealerships that won't let you use them, so I don't know how reliable they are.
(3) HPWC. Usually around 40 to 80 amps
(4) 14-50 outlets. They are 40 amps of current, so they are almost always higher power than most of the J1772 car charging stations that places have, which are mostly 32A or less. So for finding those, I pulled up the list of Campground sites on Allstays.com, filtering for the 50 amp outlets. There is Pine Crest Campground South of Windsor and Aspen Family Campground in Candor that are both on your way.
(5) J1772 stations.

Just remember that J1772's can go up to 80 Amps, even if most are 30 Amps.

Most of the Sun Country Highway J1772's are 70 or 80 Amps, and the J1772's in Pagosa Springs and Salida, CO are 70 Amps.

Yes, it is really nice that Sun Country Highway went with future proofing in using high power stations, but those are obviously mostly in Canada. I would still hold to my estimation that only around 5 to 10 percent of J1772 stations in the U.S. are more than 32A.

Stimyg, What do you mean, "no great options"?! That HPWC at ScotTech is an 80 amp HPWC available 24/7 for free, and someone just checked in with a successful charge there 4 days ago. That's about the best you are going to possibly find anywhere in the absence of a Supercharger.

I agree. Assuming destination charging is available then just a quick top off is needed. Plan it around a meal and you can pick up plenty of charge to complete the journey. If you don't have destination charging then the return trip would be the big challenge since you'd have to put in a lot more charge in Binghamton.

If the trip includes spending time at the racetrack, my understanding is there are several 14-50 RV hookups in some of the lots, but they may not be accessible to the general public on race days. For club rentals (track days), that's a different story.

You could also go through Ithaca; there's lots on plugshare there.

I agree. Assuming destination charging is available then just a quick top off is needed. Plan it around a meal and you can pick up plenty of charge to complete the journey. If you don't have destination charging then the return trip would be the big challenge since you'd have to put in a lot more charge in Binghamton.

Good point! Hadn't thought of that. Yes I do have dual. Wonder what's near scottech... I'll look it up. Thanks!

There is a nice restaurant right down the road within walking distance (opposite side of the road), that is where I spend my time while charging at ScottTech...

And we're pretty confident scottech is definitely open? I'm now it Watkins Glen. Racetrack isn't open. I'm cutting it pretty close to even getting to scottech...

- - - Updated - - -

And, what's the exact address? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I found the address on plugshare, thanks...

Other than The racetrack no one knows any higher wattage charging around Watkins Glen, do they...? Thanks.

And we're pretty confident scottech is definitely open? I'm now it Watkins Glen. Racetrack isn't open. I'm cutting it pretty close to even getting to scottech...

- - - Updated - - -

And, what's the exact address? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I found the address on plugshare, thanks...

Other than The racetrack no one knows any higher wattage charging around Watkins Glen, do they...? Thanks.
May be too late to help, but look at plugshare. There are supposedly a bunch of 110V outlets at the Village Marina Bar and Grill. If you can get enough charge there to make it to Ithaca, you're set. There are lots of options on Plugshare in Ithaca, including an 80A HPWC in someone's home. Several J1772's