Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need our word for 'vroom!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was describing how I enjoy passing slow drivers on my way home from work in my P85D when I noticed that we need a new word;

"This chowder-head was going 30 in a 45 zone. He was quite surprised when I punched it and within less than a car length - varoom! I was past him!"

and then I realized my care doesn't go 'varoom!" . More of a whine. But "- whine! I was past him" just doesn't have the same punch. Not even close.

I don't want a car that whines. I don't want a car that goes varoom. I want a car that goes... (insert new sexy fast sound here)!

post your suggestions below and then we'll make a poll.

How about "THOOOOM"?
thoom.jpg

Schlock Mercenary - Archives - Monday January 29, 2007

.... although this one might be a more appropriate visual:
schlock20081103.jpg

Last edited:
I use "Squirt".

As in, "...I punched it and within less than a car length - squirt! I was past him!"

It's more of an action verb than a noise descriptor, but that's OK: there is no noise and 'squirt' is a short, punchy word that describes the Tesla driver's ability to see an opening and occupy it before anyone else can react.

Would anyone want an iPhone app that lets you pick an engine or other noise, then uses GPS to determine (speed) sound pitch, and bluetooth to play it through your car?

I do love 0-60 in 5 seconds of silence, but sometimes noise is fun.

I could have Lambo, Ferrarri, Corvette, and or stupid stuff like geo metro noises. lol

Set the app to 'bull dozer' or 'space shuttle' mode for some interesting noises.

I think the most comparable noise to a Model S accelerating onto a freeway would be a passenger jet taking off.

As the noise from the wheels steadily increases - imitating the combustion noise on jets - it is accompanied by an increasing high-pitched motor sound, which is very reminisced of what a jet plane taking off sounds like, when you are inside the passenger cabin. It doesn't hurt that the G forces generated by the steady acceleration of an electric motor add to this sensation.

All we're missing is the "pling" (permission to unbuckle seat belt) when we've reached cruising alt... speed. Which, I guess, in a car is all good. But I wouldn't mind that sound as an easter egg with speed limit assist.

That said, I don't know what planes "say" when they take off...