Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Navigation - POI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Nav have a POI (Points of Interest) option?
Can I add POI's like when destination chargers or places where you have charged your car, are added to your own map?

I aim to try out Bjorn's 'Camper Mode' and I would like to add particular locations where I could 'park' overnight in the car. :wink:

If that's not available I'll need to pull out my old Garmin.

Nav does not have a points of interest option, but it does automatically show where you have charged before. It's a small gray circle with a lightening bolt in it. The first place you will see that is your home location after you charge at home for the first time. Destination chargers are listed in the "places" tab in order of how close they are to you, tap one and it will navigate to it as any other place. Same for superchargers.

I've not tried this... is it possible to use the voice command and "Navigate to restaurant" and have it pull up a list of local restaurants? It may not catch them all, but you won't starve either. If it works at all, it might work for other items as well. Anyone ever try this?

I've not tried this... is it possible to use the voice command and "Navigate to restaurant" and have it pull up a list of local restaurants? It may not catch them all, but you won't starve either. If it works at all, it might work for other items as well. Anyone ever try this?
Voice commands are a bit hit and miss but you can say something like "Navigate to Bunning's Warehouse" and you will get a list of Bunning's Warehouses along with Bunnings street if there is one.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the Nav have a POI (Points of Interest) option?
Can I add POI's like when destination chargers or places where you have charged your car, are added to your own map?

I aim to try out Bjorn's 'Camper Mode' and I would like to add particular locations where I could 'park' overnight in the car. :wink:

If that's not available I'll need to pull out my old Garmin.
You can now use drop pins and add them to your places. Haven't tried to add a charge location but suspect it will do that automatically when you charge in the new location for the first time.

The Navigation uses google maps as it's basis. I've searched for restaurants by name and had them appear with the correct address - actually much better than the POI that I have in standalone GPS systems. I've also searched for company office addresses the same way - quite impressive. You can then save any location as a favourite if you want to find it again later.

Voice commands are a bit hit and miss but you can say something like "Navigate to Bunning's Warehouse" and you will get a list of Bunning's Warehouses along with Bunnings street if there is one.

- - - Updated - - -

You can now use drop pins and add them to your places. Haven't tried to add a charge location but suspect it will do that automatically when you charge in the new location for the first time.

The drop pins maybe the go I am lookin for.
Can you name the drop pins at all?
Or does it just record gps or pin# for example?

The drop pins maybe the go I am lookin for.
Can you name the drop pins at all?
Or does it just record gps or pin# for example?

From page 98 of the Owners Manual. "You can drop a pin anywhere on the map by pressing and holding a spot on the map. You can navigate to the pin's location or save the pin as a Favorite (see Favorite Destinations on page 100)." Yes you can then name or rename the dropped pin and it comes up in the Places list.