Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Tesla Owners (was Factory Pickup)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has tried to do a factory pickup of a Canadian Model S?

While I'm not at the point that I have the finances together, I thought it would be neat to be able to order the car, fly out to California, pickup the car at the factory, take the tour, and then road trip it home (Ottawa).

Any ideas if Tesla would do this, and what sort of problems one might encounter at the border and with registration?
I assume you'd need some sort of transfer permit / plate from the MTO at minimum and presumably some sort of paperwork to bring it across the border and pay any duties or whatever are applicable.

Sean.

Just curious if anyone has tried to do a factory pickup of a Canadian Model S?

While I'm not at the point that I have the finances together, I thought it would be neat to be able to order the car, fly out to California, pickup the car at the factory, take the tour, and then road trip it home (Ottawa).

Any ideas if Tesla would do this, and what sort of problems one might encounter at the border and with registration?
I assume you'd need some sort of transfer permit / plate from the MTO at minimum and presumably some sort of paperwork to bring it across the border and pay any duties or whatever are applicable.

Sean.
I read somewhere sometime ago that it's not possible. I remember it was customs related. Are you sure you want to drive all the way back and possibly show some wear on your Tesla's paint from day 1?

There are taxation issues. If the car is delivered in California you have to pay California sales tax, and you cannot claim it back.

You really want the car delivered to Canada.

Great to have another Ottawa owner on board! Getting to be lots of us. Today a red Model S parked two spots over from mine - the owner walked by it in both directions and never noticed.

There are taxation issues. If the car is delivered in California you have to pay California sales tax, and you cannot claim it back.

You really want the car delivered to Canada.

Great to have another Ottawa owner on board! Getting to be lots of us. Today a red Model S parked two spots over from mine - the owner walked by it in both directions and never noticed.

I believe the number now exceeded 80 Ottawan Teslas.

I'm sure it does... and no doubt that doesn't include our friends just across the river in Gatineau.

I once heard that the threshold for setting up a service center would be 100 cars in the area. I'm sure the region including QC is over that by now.

Thanks everyone - I had this feeling it wasn't going to work out. But thought I'd ask anyway.

Great to hear that there could be an Ottawa service center... I did notice that in the 2016 supercharger map, it appears that Ottawa is on the list. Perhaps a supercharger and a service center?

@iKhalid - Where is Mike located now? Just a roving sales guy looking to sell a few Tesla's on the side? ;)

Sean.

Ok , ex Ottawa/merrivale Road farmer boy here, going to OTTAWA END OF May with the D, where is best place to charge downtown? Only destnation charger I see is Kanata, will stay ther in Sept, but want to be downtown this trip, Thanks in advance

I've driven my Tesla up to Ottawa a few times. There is a Sun Country charger downtown at the Albert at Bay Suite hotel. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago, and it worked great. The hotel was clean, spacious and relatively inexpensive.
Downtown Ottawa Hotel | The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, Ottawa

The Brookstreet hotel has two Tesla HPC which are excellent, but it isn't as convenient if you need to be downtown.

David

Last edited:
Add me to the Ottawa count too. My car should be here by the 23rd. Not too many more sleeps.

Khalid, I was the guy that stopped to talk to you in the garage at Rideau Center during the auto show. Thanks for the help :biggrin:. I think you helped sell another one.

Khalid, I was the guy that stopped to talk to you in the garage at Rideau Center during the auto show. Thanks for the help :biggrin:. I think you helped sell another one.

WOW, congrats! :D I'm glad you went with it! You won't regret it and you will enjoy it everyday!

- - - Updated - - -

@iKhalid - Where is Mike located now? Just a roving sales guy looking to sell a few Tesla's on the side? ;)

Sean.

I know he is in Ottawa and believe me, he is doing this full time :D, but I have yet to get his phone number. If someone has it, please PM me.

Congrats @Sgutz - not much longer now. Very exciting!

Are you taking delivery in Toronto or Montreal?

My car is coming into Montreal but I'm going to have it delivered to my house.

BTW, Mike is now a permanent fixture in Ottawa. He actually swung by my place tonight to show me his new Titanium 85D demo car and plugged into my HPWC to test it out. I took his car for a quick spin and it's pretty sweet. Pictures don't do justice to the color and for anyone with a Titanium on order, you are in for a treat.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW, congrats! :D I'm glad you went with it! You won't regret it and you will enjoy it everyday!

- - - Updated - - -

E
I know he is in Ottawa and believe me, he is doing this full time :D, but I have yet to get his phone number. If someone has it, please PM me.

I'll PM Mike's number to you

Last edited:
Hey everyone.
New to this forum and about to take delivery of my new P85D. The dashboard on MyTesla says "Production Complete - Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery." Guess it's in PDI. Any idea how long that might take? I have a couple of phone-calls into Tesla to find out what the status is but have received no reply.
I'm in Ottawa but have no idea where the car will be delivered. I'd be happy to go to either Montreal or Toronto to pick it up but would like to do a bit of planning. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks. Happy to be joining you on this forum and happy to be adding another Model S to the growing Ottawa family.

Dave

P85D Blue Metallic Paint - Panoramic Roof -21" Silver Turbine Wheels - Grey Next Generation Seats -Obeche Wood Matte Décor - Black Alcantara Headliner -Premium Interior and Lighting - Ultra High Fidelity Sound - Tech Package with Autopilot

Thanks everyone - I had this feeling it wasn't going to work out. But thought I'd ask anyway.

Well... you could always have it delivered to the Vancouver service centre (they do a great job prepping, too), and then drive back cross country. You even have your choice of the Sun Country Highway, or heading a bit south at either Vancouver or Calgary to use the supercharger network in the U.S. I'm actually only being a little facetious. It would be a fun trip (if staying on TC1, though, be prepared for 3-4 hour mid-day charging stops).

Ok , ex Ottawa/merrivale Road farmer boy here, going to OTTAWA END OF May with the D, where is best place to charge downtown? Only destnation charger I see is Kanata, will stay ther in Sept, but want to be downtown this trip, Thanks in advance

I researched this recently, as I am going to attend a conference at UofOttawa in June.
The best view I found, of all public chargers is from the CAA site : CAA Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locator

BTW, UofOttawa`s Brooks parking has six parking/charging spots reserved for electric cars. They offer only L1 outlets, which is ok if your are spending more than a day, like I will be.

Awesome. Thanks guys.
Yes. Driving from Vancouver would be fun.. I hear Saskatchewan is a great place to check out you wheel alignment. :cool:
Guess I just have to be a little more patient but like holding your breath, it gets tougher towards the end. BTW I ordered it in Nov 2014 and asked for May delivery so they're pretty spot on.
Cheers!

Well... you could always have it delivered to the Vancouver service centre (they do a great job prepping, too), and then drive back cross country. You even have your choice of the Sun Country Highway, or heading a bit south at either Vancouver or Calgary to use the supercharger network in the U.S. I'm actually only being a little facetious. It would be a fun trip (if staying on TC1, though, be prepared for 3-4 hour mid-day charging stops).

Thanks for the suggestion - certainly another possibility!

I do have family in that part of the world... on the Island in fact. Could kill a couple of birds with one stone.

I was definitely hoping for Superchargers, but Sun Country through Canada would certainly be more of an 'adventure.' It looks in 2016 one could potentially get to Calgary using Superchargers, then make it slowly through Saskatchewan and possibly turn south onto the SC network that is planned for Winnipeg into the US to then head back towards Ottawa. I was thinking 70D, but for a trip like that you'd probably want the extra range offered by an 85D.

Sean.