Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help an Indecisive Owner Select a Wheel Color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am back and forth on this choice and figured I would let the community help me decide. The challenge is that I have not been able to see either option other than these simulated views, so I am struggling to decide on the best option. I think the mirrored finish goes well with the chrome on the Model S, but the matte gunmetal finish gives the car a little more sporty look.

I ordered the steel grey (Midnight Silver Metallic) Model S as shown below. So, which would you choose: Matte Gunmetal or Mirrored?

matte_gunmetal.jpg

mirrored.jpg

Difficult to say by just looking at pictures on the Interwebs. I probably wouldn't go with either. But out of those two I'm kind of sure I would think the mirror cut ones would be too shiny. I would want something more discreet, Probably something 19 inch since those would also be lighter. I would like a good looking fairly aerodynamically efficient wheel. Do these fit the Models S?

r8-e-tron.jpg

@Laurent, you have a good point there. Darker rims are badass and lighter rims are classy. Both have their place. The dark rims do need highlights such as the red brake calipers. They really show them off.

I would suggest all of you to consider the rim guard protectors offered by Evannex. They saved my rims yet again this weekend. Bumped a curb parking close to let Mom out of the car at the restaurant. The rim guard took the hit. I had to shift it back into place, but no damage to the rim. The $100 investment has saved my 21's from damage 2 times now. Check it out. You can get them in a highlight color if you want. Personally I have the silver 21" turbines and matched the color. You can't tell they are there.

I like to think of mine as classily badass ;)

I must say, I did want more of a classy look due to my line of business.

More pics here:

Let's see your white Model S - Page 9

Are those the TSW Nurburgring Mirrored Face wheels? Are you happy with them? Are the wheels actually mirrored/reflective or are they a more traditional machined look? One of my hesitations is that I don't want a full chromed wheel look. Thanks!

Are those the TSW Nurburgring Mirrored Face wheels? Are you happy with them? Are the wheels actually mirrored/reflective or are they a more traditional machined look? One of my hesitations is that I don't want a full chromed wheel look. Thanks!

Yeah, those are the mirror cut version. I personally love them, not only because of the look but because of the weight, price, build, etc. So yes, I am very happy with them. I don't know how to define them, but they are what you see there.

Here's what yours would look like though. I saved this photo from someone else here in the forum.
245-40-20-5.jpg

I must say, I did want more of a classy look due to my line of business.

I agree. As others have said, I think the silver looks classic and luxurious and the gunmetal looks sporty and more youthful. I went with the classic silver against my gray because I think it blends in a little more. I think the gunmetal will probably be more eye catching because it's a little different. I wrestled with this decision more than any other decision. In the end, I don't like to stand out and like REBroker (Real Estate I'm assuming), I'm in insurance and so it fits more with my line of work.

IMG_20150502_133905133.jpg

My opinion is that silver colour better shows the rims and that's why I chose silver. I had the gray turbines on my MC Red P85+ but I never really liked that combination. In fact I would choose light coloured wheels for all the Model S colours. Maybe I'm not enough "badass" ?
image.jpg

Here is another 20x9" silver wheel option that I think looks great. These are the Avant Garde m310's in Hyper Silver. My understanding is that the cast AG wheels are a little heavier and less durable than the rotary forged TSW Nurburgrings, so I have a hard time paying the same price for those wheels. Have others installed the M310s and have you had any issues with durability?

m310_hypersilver.jpg