Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real dangers of owning a Model S. (P.S. it's not what you think)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since getting the Tesla in Feb, I've hardly driven our other vehicle, a hybrid SUV. Except when I had to run to Home Depot for a piece of lumber too large for the Tesla's trunk the other day.

Cut to a few hours later, and my wife saying, "I keep hearing this weird low rumble." Hmm. No idea. Then, apropos of nothing, I go to get some ice cream from the garage freezer. Then it hits me. I left the vehicle on! I open both overhead doors and obviously hold my breath as I run out and remove the keys.

As I enjoyed my vegan mint chip ice cream, I pondered how owning a Tesla almost killed my entire family. The hybrid aspect meant the engine wasn't running as I parked or walked into the house. The Tesla's smart keyless fob, seat pressure sensors, etc., had fooled my brain into thinking that every vehicle was this great. It's happened that I am puzzled when my non-Tesla doesn't alert me when I drive over a painted line, or speed up when the car in front of me gets going, or set the parking brake.

The moral is - if you own a Tesla, you should sell all of your other vehicles and buy only Teslas.

I don't have the tech packages so I need to lock my doors with the fob so when I did this with our ICE, I realized it when I went into my pocket to get the key so I can lock the door, only to find that the keys were in the ignition and the car was running.

By the way, our ICE hardly gets driven anymore as well, to the point where I needed to charge the 12V battery because it sat for so long. I guess I had better get in the habit of topping it off because those deep cycles are not going to be good for that battery.

I left me rental car running last night with the key fob in it.
Staying at a fairly dodgy hotel (although it is next to Michael Jordan's Nissan dealership).
Really wishing I had taken my car on this trip...

So much for the "zoom zoom" that Mazda advertises...this car is pathetic in the pickup
department.

As I enjoyed my vegan mint chip ice cream, I pondered how owning a Tesla almost killed my entire family. The hybrid aspect meant the engine wasn't running as I parked or walked into the house. The Tesla's smart keyless fob, seat pressure sensors, etc., had fooled my brain into thinking that every vehicle was this great. It's happened that I am puzzled when my non-Tesla doesn't alert me when I drive over a painted line, or speed up when the car in front of me gets going, or set the parking brake.

The moral is - if you own a Tesla, you should sell all of your other vehicles and buy only Teslas.

Funny, to a point. At the very least, a carbon monoxide detector or two is a worthwhile investment.

This has been a hot debate before when the Volt would kill people because when they got home it would just start at random to charge the battery if it was left 'on'...

Shame no one thought of a freaking ass sensor before Tesla...

I managed to accidentally test the Tesla one step further. I left it in drive when I got out. It simply put it in park for me.

Cut to a few hours later, and my wife saying, "I keep hearing this weird low rumble." Hmm. No idea. Then, apropos of nothing, I go to get some ice cream from the garage freezer. Then it hits me. I left the vehicle on! I open both overhead doors and obviously hold my breath as I run out and remove the keys.

As I enjoyed my vegan mint chip ice cream, I pondered how owning a Tesla almost killed my entire family. The hybrid aspect meant the engine wasn't running as I parked or walked into the house.

Chevy has a recall to fix that for you! LOL. Now they others makes just need to get on board!

This has been a hot debate before when the Volt would kill people because when they got home it would just start at random to charge the battery if it was left 'on'...

Shame no one thought of a freaking ass sensor before Tesla...

I managed to accidentally test the Tesla one step further. I left it in drive when I got out. It simply put it in park for me.

It truly is amazing that nobody has bothered with this change before. I get that without the Tesla, most cars require putting your keys in the ignition. I am ok with giving them a free pass. But if the car has push-button start, then it really should have a seat sensor. Even ignoring Tesla, think of how many absent-minded individuals who could do this without experiencing the convenience of the Tesla first!

How does that work? Creep mode was Off? Otherwise it would continue to drive a little bit no? Or does it also go in P when you open the door? Sorry.. too many questions! I ask because forgetting to put my car in Park is one of my biggest fears.

That's by far not true. My 9 year old non-luxury car, does not require putting the key in the ignition. The key just needs to be in the car (and it's not one of the "newer" push-button style systems either).

How do you start the engine (it is an ICE, right ?) Simply by pushing the brake pedal and by sitting in the driver's seat ? Or do you have to do something else at the same time ?

Just curious. For me all cars were either the turn key type or in pocket + start button (I've seen other systems, but they were all less easy to use) before Tesla came…

How do you start the engine (it is an ICE, right ?) Simply by pushing the brake pedal and by sitting in the driver's seat ? Or do you have to do something else at the same time ?

Just curious. For me all cars were either the turn key type or in pocket + start button (I've seen other systems, but they were all less easy to use) before Tesla came…

Mine is a combination of both! (I guess when they started transitioning from one system to the other)

Press the clutch (yes, it's manual transmission, I love manual transmission, and no, I'm not old) + turn the starter thing (there's a plastic holder there instead of the key, plastic holder can come off and you can place a physical key if your battery dies, but I've never done that). As long as the keyfob is in my pocket, I can turn the starter.

Here's a pic of the holder, it goes where the key would normally go: http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/rx-8-parts-sale-wanted-44/183725d1334208085-plastic-key-knob-thing-credit-card-smart-key-cardkey.jpg

Mine is a combination of both! (I guess when they started transitioning from one system to the other)

Press the clutch (yes, it's manual transmission, I love manual transmission, and no, I'm not old) + turn the starter thing (there's a plastic holder there instead of the key, plastic holder can come off and you can place a physical key if your battery dies, but I've never done that). As long as the keyfob is in my pocket, I can turn the starter.

Here's a pic of the holder, it goes where the key would normally go: http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...-knob-thing-credit-card-smart-key-cardkey.jpg

Ok. My point though was that the vast majority of cars require you to take some action with the key (those get a free pass on figuring out if you are in the car) or the key simply has to be around (this should have deployed some sort of sensor, like a driver's seat occupancy sensor). Few cars in the latter group do anything to ensure the driver remains in the car while it is running. But yes, I did state push button and that is not the only use-case. I guess it would have been better to use something like "active-engagement of the key" vs. "passive engagement of the key".

I have found after 2+ years I actually have the opposite problem. I still, on occasion, reach toward the steering column on my Model S for the "key" but have never even come close to forgetting to turn off our other ICE car. And this is with me driving the Model S 99% of the time.

On the other hand, one of my big worries was that I was going to hit the Model S "Park" button trying to wash my windshield because on my last few cars, that is where the wiper stalk was. That's never happened, but I have activated the wipers on our other ICE more than once trying to put the car in reverse!

Ok. My point though was that the vast majority of cars require you to take some action with the key (those get a free pass on figuring out if you are in the car) or the key simply has to be around (this should have deployed some sort of sensor, like a driver's seat occupancy sensor). Few cars in the latter group do anything to ensure the driver remains in the car while it is running. But yes, I did state push button and that is not the only use-case. I guess it would have been better to use something like "active-engagement of the key" vs. "passive engagement of the key".

One counterpoint. I have the keyless system and j routinely bring out the kids bags in the winter and start the car. I then go back in and coral the kids into the warming car. If the seat sensor was needed I wouldn't be able to do this.

One counterpoint. I have the keyless system and j routinely bring out the kids bags in the winter and start the car. I then go back in and coral the kids into the warming car. If the seat sensor was needed I wouldn't be able to do this.

True. No system is perfect. I was just saying that other makes never even (seemingly) posited the concern. For instance, in the case of the Tesla, the same applies, but you set the lock on the screen to keep the car "running". I would hope that if another make used a sensor for auto-shutoff of the car, they would also have some sort of override for such a use-case.