Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How soon before SPWC for home use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking that with PowerWall in your garage you could have access to ~400VDC from the PowerWall. Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla offered a "super" power wall charger (hence SPWC) fed from the PowerWall and your solar panels.

Sure you can use DC->AC->DC with HPWC but it should be 10-15% more efficient as pure DC-DC and quite possibly offer faster charging.

Home Supercharger anyone?

How often would anyone need to charge their car that quickly at home? Most people don't come come with a nearly depleted battery and leave for a 200 mile trip an hour later.

No, but you could come back from a long trip, and may have to make a quick trip to run errands immediately after. I love the idea of a SPWC, throwing in another idea - let us use our Teslas as batteries for our homes.

Thinking that with PowerWall in your garage you could have access to ~400VDC from the PowerWall. Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla offered a "super" power wall charger (hence SPWC) fed from the PowerWall and your solar panels.

Sure you can use DC->AC->DC with HPWC but it should be 10-15% more efficient as pure DC-DC and quite possibly offer faster charging.

The PowerWall is spec'd for a max output current of 2kW continuous, not even close to a 'fast DC charge. Don't know why, but there it is. :frown:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
For this we would basically have to start out with the 100kwh Powerpack, not the power wall. But at $25,000 it's not all that bad, considering what most DC chargers like Chademo go for. That price just gets you the pack, but a big chunk non the less. When you consider what a supercharger site install goes for, perhaps an integrated DC only supercharger/Powerpack on a pallet system might be a good deal for low utilization superchargers. The possibilities are mouth watering.. These in the wild superchargers could be temporary, or only connected with a small standard 100amp to 200amp grid connection, like a typical house.

ok, in that same realm of thought, why can't we "jump" each other and transfer X miles of range from one Model S to another?

DC to DC?

I've thought about that. It seems technically quite feasible. I wonder, however, if Tesla believes that the mainstream media would spin the announcement of a Tesla-to-Tesla charge cable as an indicator that we need to frequently rescue one another, thus amplifying the uninformed publics' unfounded range anxiety.

How often would anyone need to charge their car that quickly at home? Most people....{snip}

Uhm.... we are Tesla owners here (or enthusiasts, I suppose). Please don't apply the logic of the common masses; otherwise, we'd all be driving ICEs.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW

I'd rather have an option to plug my Tesla in (where my gas generator attaches) so I could power my house during short power outages from my 85kwh "rolling Powerwall" I already have in the garage.

What would be the point of "super" charging only 7-10 kWh, even if we could?
You could have the EV version of a “gas can” with one or two PowerWalls installed in a truck, DC-to-DC connected to a charge cable. That should be able to quickly add some range to a flat-battery EV.

Tesla Rangers could be promoted to Power-Rangers!

EV could then be driven to a charge point or power outlet. Less expensive, lower risk than flat-bed transport.

Mobile PowerWall could be recharged at home base or via generator.

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW
You could have the EV version of a “gas can” with one or two PowerWalls installed in a truck, DC-to-DC connected to a charge cable. That should be able to quickly add some range to a flat-battery EV.

Wouldn't a regular AC charge suffice? I'm not sure about US-spec cars, but EU-cars can charge at 17 kW AC max. Half an hour on 17 kW is 8,5 kW. Enough to drive ~35km or ~22 miles.

Connecting anything to your car using DC is tricky, as all the safety systems you have with AC charging do not apply to DC chargers. Especially with any "mobile DC charger" this would be a risk.

Connecting anything to your car using DC is tricky, as all the safety systems you have with AC charging do not apply to DC chargers. Especially with any "mobile DC charger" this would be a risk.
You may have been picturing "jumper cables" used with 12 Volt battery. Would not want to be exposed to 100s of Volts of high-Amperage DC current.

Fortunately, nearly all EVs are equipped to accept DC charging. I was thinking about a SuperCharger or J1722 type connection. They've provided safe and reliable charging in diverse and challenging conditions around the world.

Additional DC connection benefits:
  • Faster charge rate than using the car's on-board converters. Both the customer and service provider would likely prefer faster solution.
  • Higher efficiency.
  • Could support vehicles without on-board charger.
An aside - too close to a half-century ago I worked with a mobile recording outfit. We frequently recorded performances in Greenwich Village nightclubs. When we arrived with our truck, we would run a heavy power cable to the venue's power source to feed our mobile studio. Utility-grade 60 Hz current minimized flutter in our master tapes compared to our relatively noisy onboard generator.

That area was Edison's original DC power market, and some old buildings still used electric utility DC for systems that had never/not yet been converted to Tesla/Westinghouse AC. We were very careful to identify and verify the AC panel. We knew the risks of raw high-voltage DC to both ourselves and our equipment.

Still regret joining the mobile recording group after they had recorded for Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour, also missed Doors' live album. Though my friends shared a few interesting stories.

Last edited:
Forgetting the speed, the big issue is the inverter loss. Solar produced DC power, and there is an inverter to convert it to AC power. When you charge your car using the standard wall plug or a 14-50, it takes the AC power and converts it back to DC. In each conversion, there is about a 10% loss. The real benefit would be to remove the double 10% loss.