Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Premium Audio Worth the upgrade?

Is the Premium Audio worth the $2,500 upgrade?

• Yes: the Premium Sound is worth it.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • No: the Premium Sound is not worth it.

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can a subwoofer (like the EVANNEX NVX system for $1000) be added to the standard audio system to bring it comparable to the premium sound system? I have read that only the deep bass is missing from the standard audio system - which can be overcome with a $1000 subwoofer system (or even cheaper on Crutchfield.com)

Thoughts?

I find it hard to answer the poll. Is it worth it is very hard to answer. Premium gives you a decent sub (NVM is better, others even more so), XM if you care about it, and some extra speakers, and Dolby surround processing. These latter ones could make a difference for you. If you camp out in your Model S, some have said the Dolby picks up surround sound in any videos playing on a tablet or such. That said, if you concerned about budget, I would put $1,500 earmarked towards an aftermarket install. Then if you do the NVX install yourself, you even save another $500!

How you measure 'worth' is really important. I ordered the upgrade because good sound is important to me. When I demo'd both systems, the upgrade was clearly better. $2,500 better? Probably not. But faced with the unsavory prospect of making do with the lesser system for many years into the future, I bit the bullet and upgraded. I didn't consider a custom install because the car is so unusual I didn't think I'd find anyone willing to do it at a reasonable price. Having it all installed the way Tesla intended is worth something to me. But don't ask me 'how much?'... LOL

I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate a good "system". I'm one of those that when I was 16, I got the aftermarket CD player, the subwoofers in the custom box, the tweeters, upgraded the door speakers..etc etc.

The upgraded sound system was a "no brainer" for me as I am in the car a lot, and I listen to music a lot. With Slacker, you'll find yourself listening to even more music. I don't have the time or motivation to to load thousands of songs onto a USB, but with Slacker its awesome to just listen to the "radio station" for one of your favorite bands and listen to music from bands you've never heard of. Then it's always fun to say, "Play *song I loved when I was 16 and rocked out*"...turn it up and just rock down the road. With the upgraded sound, I messed with the settings (bass, treble, mid range) until it sounded right and it's awesome. You can feel the subs in the door panels vibrating your knee.

I've had to reset my main panel a few times and evidently that resets the customized sound levels, but I didn't realize it at the time. I noticed I was a little let down in some songs where I thought there would be more "presence". I discovered this morning that all of those presets had reset back to "0". So after setting them back to my liking....WOW....it without question, made me glad I got the upgraded sound.

I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate a good "system". I'm one of those that when I was 16, I got the aftermarket CD player, the subwoofers in the custom box, the tweeters, upgraded the door speakers..etc etc.

The upgraded sound system was a "no brainer" for me as I am in the car a lot, and I listen to music a lot. With Slacker, you'll find yourself listening to even more music. I don't have the time or motivation to to load thousands of songs onto a USB, but with Slacker its awesome to just listen to the "radio station" for one of your favorite bands and listen to music from bands you've never heard of. Then it's always fun to say, "Play *song I loved when I was 16 and rocked out*"...turn it up and just rock down the road. With the upgraded sound, I messed with the settings (bass, treble, mid range) until it sounded right and it's awesome. You can feel the subs in the door panels vibrating your knee.

I've had to reset my main panel a few times and evidently that resets the customized sound levels, but I didn't realize it at the time. I noticed I was a little let down in some songs where I thought there would be more "presence". I discovered this morning that all of those presets had reset back to "0". So after setting them back to my liking....WOW....it without question, made me glad I got the upgraded sound.

JMG, I completely agree. I drove two back to back the other day - one with the upgrade and one without. To me, this poll is spot on. I'm getting the upgrade and dropping the air suspension to get into the 85D.

It's true that XM only comes with Premium.
If you are used to Sat. Radio, this seems important at the time of purchase.
I used and enjoyed XM for the first 2 months....and then I "discovered" Slacker/TuneIn.
There are so many great options between the two that I don't listen to XM any more. I think the trial subscription may have ended....but to be honest I never think about it and really don't know.

I demo'd both and still went this the standard sound. I checked with the NVX guys and using their local installer will be $1425 if I decide to go that route later on.

Davidc18, I'm going this route. The air suspension I can't add later. The audio upgrade, I can. I saw the NVX sub and still think it's a little pricey.

I could drop $2k on a kick ass system and save $500 AND have a better system than the premium audio.

- - - Updated - - -

It's true that XM only comes with Premium.
If you are used to Sat. Radio, this seems important at the time of purchase.
I used and enjoyed XM for the first 2 months....and then I "discovered" Slacker/TuneIn.
There are so many great options between the two that I don't listen to XM any more. I think the trial subscription may have ended....but to be honest I never think about it and really don't know.

Thanks for this. I have XM in my Volt now and will be letting it expire at the end of the year. I only use Iheartradio in my office - but have never used Slacker.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the sub-woofer the only difference. I was told there are more, including XM.

XM is only with the premium.

standard = 7 speakers, premium = 12 speakers including the sub

I no longer consider XM Radio a 'feature'. Sirius is slightly closer to a 'feature' in my opinion, but still not something I'd pay for as an upgrade.

XM uses geosynchronous satellites, meaning you need a low horizon to get a signal. Sirius uses a polar orbit that puts the satellites more or less overhead in a figure eight pattern as the earth turns. I've never had Sirius drop out except under bridges or in tunnels... and I drive some very deep and narrow canyons. XM on the other hand... well, it's complete garbage on those same roads. You can drive km's at a time without a signal. I have no idea why, given they're now the same company, XM is even installed in vehicles... it's garbage. Sorry...need a capital 'G'... Garbage!

In the beginning, a digital signal was pretty cool. And fidelity was decent. Now it seems like they're messing with the bit rates and reducing the fidelity - it sounds more like AM these days and I finally gave up my account.

Worth noting... I called them a month before my expiry to tell them NOT to renew my subscription (after 3.5 years) and just let it lapse. I got an email confirming my request. Then, a week after the expiry, they charged my Visa $48 anyway. I emailed and they said 'cancellation fee... but we'll waive it this time and reverse the charge'. Seriously?

Long story short - I'd suggest that XM not be considered when making your selection!

Here's a very simple test: Can you hear the difference between Spotify and Spotify Premium? How about Pandora and Pandora One? If not, then Premium Sound probably won't be for you.

But if you can hear the difference and tell me about Bluetooth compression CODECs and how we had CD Quality Sound in the old days and opted for mobility in the form of mp3s and traitorously gave up audio quality, then yea, you need to spend the $2,500. Plus, c'mon, where you 90's kids at who love rolling down the block with windows/pano roof down blasting Fresh Prince's Summertime on your Premium sound system? I know you feel me.

- K