Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Models S give an outside indication that car charging is complete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I just tested that and yes anyone pressing the button on the handle can interrupt the charging. That's not good. It will start again once you release, but at some public charging stations that could be a problem as they don't restart automatically.
If you have set the car for scheduled charging it will not restart to charge if the button is pressed in some situations. I really think Tesla should change that! Maybe there is some safety law that requires a method to stop charging even when a car is locked.

Wow I just tested that and yes anyone pressing the button on the handle can interrupt the charging. That's not good. It will start again once you release, but at some public charging stations that could be a problem as they don't restart automatically.
If you have set the car for scheduled charging it will not restart to charge if the button is pressed in some situations. I really think Tesla should change that! Maybe there is some safety law that requires a method to stop charging even when a car is locked.

The button is part of the charger and it's the charger that stops the current. The charger doesn't know whether a key is present or not.

We have laminated card(s) we made up for our Volts that says if the light on the dash is blinking green feel free to unplug and use the charger. Since it sounds like there is no equivalent indicator, that wouldnt involve someone potentially stopping our charge, we shouldnt make one for our Tesla.