Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Motors Inc's Electric Car Truly Disruptive? (Motley Fool)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The crux of the article is that Clayton Christensen has said Tesla is more of a "sustaining innovation" rather than a "disruptive innovation", but then, he said the same thing about the iPhone, apparently. The article doesn't necessarily agree with him though, in fact it presents a counter-argument from a stock analyst.

Clayton Christensen said:
On the other hand, the electric car is not in any way disruptive. I don’t think Tesla itself thinks this way, but there are a lot of investors who do. It’s what I call a “sustaining innovation”; it makes a good product better. It’s up against the very high-end cars made by BMW and other sports cars. A disruptive innovation in electric cars, you can see coming from the bottom—from the world of golf carts. They just get better and better and better. You see them now; you see them everywhere. Ten years ago, you didn’t see them. That’s disruptive.

Every time somebody says something like this, I wonder to myself whether they've actually driven one? Yes, it's up against high-end cars, but that's what's amazing about it. Nobody expected an EV to compete in that segment of the market, because the prevailing perception of EVs was that of a slow boring car, something like a golf cart.

Is Tesla Motors Inc.'s Electric Car Truly Disruptive?