Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up camera turns off too quick.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
On most cars with OEM backup cameras, the camera stays on until you hit 5-8 MPH Forward, or a few seconds after you put it in park...

the Model S however, turns off the backup camera the instant you aren't in reverse. (Yes I know you can turn it on anytime). But a software update could fix this...

On most cars with OEM backup cameras, the camera stays on until you hit 5-8 MPH Forward, or a few seconds after you put it in park...

the Model S however, turns off the backup camera the instant you aren't in reverse. (Yes I know you can turn it on anytime). But a software update could fix this...
Can't fix what isn't broken. It operates exactly as it is designed to operate. As is makes perfectly good sense to me but you can certainly submit your change request to Tesla for consideration.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you can share some examples of this to clarify things. A couple posters have said their other cars turn off the camera as soon as you leave reverse, so maybe its simply a case of what you were (or what we were) exposed to previously?

On very few occations I've noticed the backup camera stayed on in D. I think it's either when you shift to drive and front + rear parking sensors have a proximity signal, or after shifting D/R several times quickly. And those times, it was genius, because I was wedging in between cars, and it was useful to judge distance/sideways placement while going forward as well. Plus, just the consistency of the screen and your view of all 4 parking sensors made the whole experience more intuitive. I'd like it to happen every time I park.

It can be helpful in parking situations.

Agreed. I know the tesla is functioning as programmed, but when parking, and having to move back, then forward, then back, it's annoying to have the camera cut off for that 5 seconds of moving forwards. My Tahoe didn't do that. It kept the backup camera on for approx 10 seconds in forward or until you hit 5 mph. It did make it easier to park.

It can be helpful in parking situations.

With 6.2-2.4.188, my P85D does this. If I pull into my garage and the front sensors start reading distance, then shift into reverse to look at where the car is relative to the garage door marks, the camera comes on, and stays on even after I shift back into forward. The display stays up showing the rear camera view and distances around the car. I find this very useful for pulling into the garage just far enough to close the garage door and have plenty of room to walk in front of the car after parking.

With 6.2-2.4.188, my P85D does this. If I pull into my garage and the front sensors start reading distance, then shift into reverse to look at where the car is relative to the garage door marks, the camera comes on, and stays on even after I shift back into forward. The display stays up showing the rear camera view and distances around the car. I find this very useful for pulling into the garage just far enough to close the garage door and have plenty of room to walk in front of the car after parking.

It makes good sense to tie that to the parking sensors. I would almost imagine that if you are going slow enough for the parking sensors to engage, it should go ahead and flip on the rear view camera even if you haven't switched to reverse once. But at least with .188, Tesla is trying to make this intuitive. Glad to hear it!

Actually, the only car I've driven where the backup camera stays on like that is Audi. Amusingly, the Audi forums are full of people complaining about why doesn't it turn off immediately like every other car.

Yep. My wife's car does this, and I can get why they might want it, but given how sluggish it is, I think they figure they'll leave it on until you get to a certain speed as switching back to it might be too slow for maneuvers.

I agree with others, it's not broken. Don't fix it.

Agreed. I know the tesla is functioning as programmed, but when parking, and having to move back, then forward, then back, it's annoying to have the camera cut off for that 5 seconds of moving forwards. My Tahoe didn't do that. It kept the backup camera on for approx 10 seconds in forward or until you hit 5 mph. It did make it easier to park.
I've driven a Lexus that had a front fisheye cam and it had a lock you could click on to keep the camera on as long as you wanted. Maybe Tesla could do that.