Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

St Lucie FL to Cheeca Islanorada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably doable, but you're pushing it. Since South Florida is a charging desert, I would stop at the Victoria Park hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a top-up. Their HPWC is good for 80 amps and there are several restaurants within walking distance where you can have dinner.

Hi all

Driving down from boston. In an 85 is this route achievable if we leave with 100% charge from St Lucie? It's about 209 miles.

West palm beach is not available after hours unfortunately.

According to EVTripPlanner.com if you leave the Port Saint Lucie Supercharger for the Cheeca Lodge & Spa you will expend 219 rated miles. So you should make it on a full charge.

Larry

Plugshare shows a homeowner with 50 amp HPWC in Florida City but requires advance contact. You might want to do that while you're still in PCL.

Another consideration - people in South Florida drive FAST on I-95. If you're doing 65 to preserve range, stay in the right lane and pay close attention lest you get run over!

Plugshare shows a homeowner with 50 amp HPWC in Florida City but requires advance contact. You might want to do that while you're still in PCL.

Another consideration - people in South Florida drive FAST on I-95. If you're doing 65 to preserve range, stay in the right lane and pay close attention lest you get run over!

Lol yeah thanks! People go uber fast here

We made it from the West Palm Beach supercharger to a resort basically across the street from Cheeca with ~50 miles of range remaining last week, and I definitely wasn't driving conservatively. I would say if you do a full max charge in St Lucie and stick with the speed limit you should be fine. Once you're off the interstate it's a lot easier to be conservative with the go pedal too. There's also a ChargePoint at the Snapper Creek rest area if you get desperate. Additionally, you should keep an eye out for the West Palm superchargers, as they may be available by the time your trip comes up. It looks like they're already in the process of moving their fences.

Good luck!

When returning you might want to stop at Pinecrest Gardens for a free fast charge, if you have a CHAdeMO adapter. They will have HPWC's soon, but they are not open yet. That is probably good unless you have used the Tevernier free charge.

Just did Port St Lucie Supercharger to Marathon Supercharger, 230 miles. (P85D in range mode with A/C set at 74). 65mph on the turnpike then followed the speed limit (or +5) on US1. We arrived with 39 miles range remaining in Marathon. It's really no problem. We charged up 15 minutes in Marathon and then headed down to Key West. We charged at our hotel, the Pier House Resort. They said we were the first to use their newly installed HPWC 80amp.

290 w/m on the turnpike

Also of note the car trip planner kept trying to get us to take us from the Orlando Turkey Lake SC down to Ft Myers and then across and down to Marathon.

Tom

Just did Port St Lucie Supercharger to Marathon Supercharger, 230 miles. (P85D in range mode with A/C set at 74). 65mph on the turnpike then followed the speed limit (or +5) on US1. We arrived with 39 miles range remaining in Marathon. It's really no problem. We charged up 15 minutes in Marathon and then headed down to Key West. We charged at our hotel, the Pier House Resort. They said we were the first to use their newly installed HPWC 80amp.

290 w/m on the turnpike

Also of note the car trip planner kept trying to get us to take us from the Orlando Turkey Lake SC down to Ft Myers and then across and down to Marathon.

Tom
We had the same issue. So annoying. We are all beta testers of 6.2

290 w/m on the turnpike

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information.

If you wouldn't mind could you provide a brief review of your charging experience and your opinion of the resort at the following thread.

Hotels in Florida with Charging Stations

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry

290 w/m on the turnpike

Tom

65 mph on the turnpike S of St Lucie? That could get you killed!! My guess is the average speed on the FL turnpike down there is at least 80mph.

Several times I've done a 220 mile run from Lake City to Panama City in my P85 doing 70 on I-10, then speed limit on SR 12 to 27 to 231. Typically arrive with 15-20 miles in the tank (started at 250, range mode, A/C on 70). The new navigation tried to route me from Lake City up to Tifton GA supercharger and then back down to my location (and also warned me I still would not have enough charge to make it). It would have terrified me if I had not previously made the trip safely a couple of times.

Glad you made it easily. Cheeca Lodge is a great place, as is the Pier House. I'm sure you had a great time down there.