Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules - Do they have an extra tall dash screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
Model X mules - Do they have an extra tall dash screen? Perhaps made of two separate screens? For extra camera displays or some other reason?

attachment.php?attachmentid=80622&d=1431264445.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=80593&d=1431241183.jpg

For reference, here is the Model X prototype (2012-2013) 19" screen:

tesla-touch-screen.jpg

And the Model S 17" screen:

tesla-model-s_100487458_m.jpg

@Earlian, thanks for the video screen caps and thanks to the OP for that video. The street intersection pictured is just a few minutes drive from Tesla's Palo Alto HQ.

In this image I think I see something that no one has commented on and is a major change from the X beta and the S: there appear to be two stacked center displays, not one. Take a look:

View attachment 80622

If that X center display is a single screen (and the pictured display are is clearly around twice the height of the S center display) the aspect ratio is unlike any any mass produced display I am aware of, which means it will be significantly more costly since the production volume will be relatively low compared to PC displays. It would make more sense for Tesla to use two screens, stacked, to keep the cost down

Thanks ecarfan for the hint!

If you compare the size of the screen to the steering wheel, you will see that it’s about the same size as the prototype and the Model S screen. Due to the angle of the screen and the picture, the Model X screen aspect ratio looks longer, but the length is the same.

As an aside, I prefer the look of the prototype Model X screen and dash layout.

If you compare the size of the screen to the steering wheel, you will see that it’s about the same size as the prototype and the Model S screen. Due to the angle of the screen and the picture, the Model X screen aspect ratio looks longer, but the length is the same.

Fair point.

Everything in the interior does indeed look a bit stretched, and I did consider the possibility indeed. The "made of two screens" was a suggestion made by someone else, personally I don't find that likely. Still, even if we assume stretching is part of the explanation, the screen does seem to go down quite far. I wonder if it could remain a 19" screen like on the Model X prototypes (2012-2013), now only placed so that it doesn't protrude out of the dash. It is also possible it is the same 17" screen and only appear stretched, perhaps due to lens distortion and distortion caused by the window(s) between the camera and its target.

Here is the image "unstretched" in 50 px steps (original resolution):

model_x_dash.jpg

What do you think? Same screen as Model S or perhaps a different size like on the original Model X prototype? Using the same screen would be sense from an parts acquisition point of view. A larger screen might be explained by some new needs, like replacing side mirrors with cameras and needing more inches and resolution for those views, altough we don't expect mirror-replacing cameras immediately - and even when we do, they might appear in the speedometer screen instead perhaps. Overall the dash seems very much like the Model S. So much so that I'm not convinced it isn't lifted straight from a Model S.

I worked a little more on this issue and quickly scaled (not exact!) the Model X mule dash view to a comparable shape with a Model S view posted kindly on the Sightings thread. With this I'm moving my estimate to it being same screen (not larger), same dash as Model S (for all intents and purposes anyway). Of course we won't know if Model X eventually ships with this dash, but using the same parts as much as possible in Model S/X would make sense for Tesla I'm sure.

model_x_dash_2.jpg

Last edited:
I think we are going the wrong way. Look at the steering wheel thickness. In the stretched photo, the steering wheel is obscenely fat to make the proportion of the screen work. I think it makes sense that the model X dash is vertically stretched to make it fill the larger space of an SUV, that would mean a larger dash screen as well. For cost reasons, the model x could use the same dash but my guess is that the seating position of the X versus the S would make the S dash look tiny and awkward in the X. Makes sense to scale everything use a 19" screen or so and a slightly larger dash screen. These screens may also allow for better/larger displayed camera images.

True. Although it could be just my inability to lens correct right.

That said I appreciate your point about SUVs often having stretched dashes. Take Audi A4 and Q5 or A6 and Q7 for example where the SUVs do sport "taller" dash designs compared to sedans.

Doesn't make sense to me that Tesla would increase their cost base for the sake of 2" extra screen height. Sticking with the perfectly adequate 17" screw the Model S has would be sensible.

It was Tesla who demo'ed the larger screen on Model X prototype, though. It was Tesla who said production cars would be same or better as prototypes. I mean, a reasonable case could be made Tesla at least planned a bigger screen.

From a user's stand point, a bigger screen I think could be quite nice if there is more and more camera etc. data on the screen. I don't see why we should prioritize Tesla's logistical sensibilities. We wouldn't give Audi or BMW the same slack either for being lazy or cheap.

All that said, I'm leaning on Model X having the same 17" screen as Model S. We haven't seen anything beyond old prototypes to support the larger screen idea. It isn't impossible, though.

From a user's stand point, a bigger screen I think could be quite nice if there is more and more camera etc. data on the screen. I don't see why we should prioritize Tesla's logistical sensibilities. We wouldn't give Audi or BMW the same slack either for being lazy or cheap.

Lazy? Cheap? have you seen cash burn? You can read about it here Tesla Motors - Quarterly Report

I think the streamlining is so that "there is a healthy Tesla" or at least a "financially viable Tesla".

Lazy? Cheap? have you seen cash burn? You can read about it here Tesla Motors - Quarterly Report

I think the streamlining is so that "there is a healthy Tesla" or at least a "financially viable Tesla".

First of all, I still find it possible Tesla will release Model X with a unique dash, so all this may be moot. Screen size is not important if the whole is still better.

Secondly, no disrespect meant - I know Tesla is still a small company/startup-ish.

That said, a common criticism from TMCers and Elon Musk has been that big auto concept cars get watered down in production due to cost reasons - and Tesla wants to be different. Taking the dash from Model S and planting it in Model X doesn't fit that bill in my opinion compared to Model X prototype, so let's hope they won't.

It was Tesla who demo'ed the larger screen on Model X prototype, though. It was Tesla who said production cars would be same or better as prototypes. I mean, a reasonable case could be made Tesla at least planned a bigger screen.

All that said, I'm leaning on Model X having the same 17" screen as Model S. We haven't seen anything beyond old prototypes to support the larger screen idea. It isn't impossible, though.
I took the prototype design as just a concept and very confident in the engineers to make it one of the best central features the X can have. If Tesla deemed it necessary to integrate the same display like the Model S to give better functionality/usability, visibility, safety, etc over the prototype, then to me it's better than the prototype despite it not being the same size or position.

I can also see a bigger screen might appear to be a nicer feature over the prototype. Better could also mean they put in a 21" and have more controls always on the screen instead of having to drill into them. However, that might comprise something else. Or they have a new UI specific to the X that doesn't need a larger screen. Time will tell!

I'm getting very excited that we are so close now, I can almost smell the new car smell.... wait that's the new car smell Febreze in my S that riders always compliment that my car still smells new. :biggrin:

Last edited:
That said, a common criticism from TMCers and Elon Musk has been that big auto concept cars get watered down in production due to cost reasons - and Tesla wants to be different. Taking the dash from Model S and planting it in Model X doesn't fit that bill in my opinion compared to Model X prototype, so let's hope they won't.

Not to be nit-picky, but I have to believe that there are more reasons other than cost for the big auto-makers to reign back their wild concept-car designs. Some of the concept car designs shouldn't affect cost, like a different body style (e.g. Chevy Volt concept). So, I think sometimes they do it because they're too scared to try something so radically different that may upset their current user-base. I think car companies have a good thing going and when that happens, they become conservative with big changes, so as to not to disrupt their momentum.

Tesla is building their momentum right now, so radical/risky designs are not going to adversely affect their bottom line, so they are more willing to move forward with them. In fact, it may help them stand-out from the rest of the crowd, especially if their experiment resonants with people. In 10 years, they may not be so bold, especially if they become an established auto-maker.

I really think LCD screens aren't as expensive as people think these days. Making lots of fancy buttons, sticks, levers, dials AND the obligatory Satnav/music/etc small LCD screen is bound to be more expensive than just having two neat LCDs for all functions.

Not to be nit-picky, but I have to believe that there are more reasons other than cost for the big auto-makers to reign back their wild concept-car designs.

vandacca: That, of course, is perfectly true. My last message was on a mobile, can't cover the whole ground all the time. I guess it has also been part of Tesla's argument - they haven't been interested in showing extravagant conceptualizations that won't get implemented at all, unlike traditional manufacturers. Let's hope the Model X interior is not the first such story. ;) I'm guessing it won't be.

Tesla is building their momentum right now, so radical/risky designs are not going to adversely affect their bottom line, so they are more willing to move forward with them. In fact, it may help them stand-out from the rest of the crowd, especially if their experiment resonants with people. In 10 years, they may not be so bold, especially if they become an established auto-maker.

True. In any case, let's be realistic: Nobody else would do Falcon Wings on a concept and stick to it in production on something that isn't a 2/2+2 sports car. Credit where credit is due to Tesla for that.

So, nobody read too much into my comment. But I will say this, if Tesla indeed were to recycle the entire dash of Model S on the Model X, I will call that lazy and cheap. :) I don't expect I need to.

Let's face it though, with the falcon wings there, Tesla can put in a Fiat Multipla interior and I'm still game. I'd just rather they didn't.

Lots of people, myself included, won't buy a "radical/risky design", which is why Elon said no weirdmobiles. I'd consider an e-golf, but a Leaf? No way. Why? It's god-awful fugly wierdmobile (55 gallon drum bumper, fender-length headlights). Second-ugliest car in the Nissan stable, second only to the hideous Juke.

If I (and others) don't buy it because of the "radical/risky design", it will indeed effect their bottom line.

Lots of people, myself included, won't buy a "radical/risky design", which is why Elon said no weirdmobiles. I'd consider an e-golf, but a Leaf? No way. Why? It's god-awful fugly wierdmobile (55 gallon drum bumper, fender-length headlights). Second-ugliest car in the Nissan stable, second only to the hideous Juke.

Would you buy a Fiat Multipla? Inside or outside?